Now that's what I'm talking about

Admission that you’re using destructive criticism, as you clearly outline it in the first statement of the paragraph I quoted.

Sure, I’m not “happy” with Blizzard for some of the many mistakes they’ve made over the years. I’m one of those customers who has not only played the Diablo series from the first installment, but also World of Warcraft from 2005 until after Cataclysm was released when I saw their entire focus shifting into microtransactions and pandering to specific player types instead of relying on the formula that made them successful to begin with.

But… that doesn’t mean I take every opportunity I can to showboat criticism, especially when it conflates the issues. I handle each complaint specifically.

Perhaps you aren’t throwing a “tantrum”, but you’re apparently not keeping the issues you have complaints with clearly defined, either.

Ok to be clear destructive is your terminology, not mine. I adopted it for the sake of discussion and what I am pretty sure you are able to understand that. My complains are rather clear and simple. I wish to be able to play the game I bought at least most of the times I try to sit down and play ( I realise that won’t be the case always with an online service). I demand that when they launch a game for which they know the sales numbers and for which they have made online play all but mandatory it will be in a state where the first “demand” is met. I demand better communication without having to ask for it for days (and no communication does not mean absolution). Simple demands I suppose and as all simple demands and complaints, they are pretty clearly defined. To sum up respect your clients and the money they give you and plan ahead.

There’s nothing you’ve detailed here that I can take issue with. I think those are all valid complaints. But, I do have to question where you set your personal expectations and how you’re expecting they be met.

Now, for the most part… in regard to playing the game, I can only speak from personal experience. The game has launched and played successfully and flawlessly, excepting the issues where the servers have been down for online play. Now I didn’t purchase the game specifically to play online or offline. I purchase it to play, period. So if I can’t get online, I simply choose an offline character. In reading numerous threads regarding game issues, I can only surmise that the occurrences that they are infrequent at best. That some of the people have specific hardware, software or network issues that they may or may not be aware of- as most are playing the game. I’d imagine if that had not been the case, they would have a substantially increased amount of complaints compared to the numbers of people playing the game and would have been very busy addressing that in posts by now.

In terms of the “sales numbers” demand… I think I understand what you’re asking. You’re expecting that if they’ve sold (just spitballing numbers here as an example) 500,000 copies, that they clearly have 500,000 spots on the server available and ready to go for play. Now, just a few things to keep in mind here- 1) They may or may not be paying for server hosting space, which prices could differ in what’s available for “blocks”, 2) Does your question preclude whether or not all of those clients be immediately connected at all times (not just peak hours, not just when those players are available to play) and if so, are you really expecting that each person have a dedicated slot for playing 24/7/365 for a free (non-subscription) service?

Communication. Yep, that’s a biggie. I also have the same complaint - which I have also posted in the appropriate threads where it’s applicable. They simply SUCK at direct communication. Using “social media” platforms to communicate with their own customer base as a priority instead of in their own house. It’s akin to going to City Hall to announce a fire instead of letting everyone IN THE HOUSE know there’s one FIRST. It’s stupidity. In this case, their FIRST priority should be posting in their OWN FORUMS before they hand it off to Twitter or wherever. I don’t care if they want to use other platforms… but the priorities are clearly shifted.

Now that we have all that out of the way… you can clearly see I’m not a “white knight”, nor am I defending Blizzard… but I don’t think having a mob running into the room yelling and screaming at the top of their lungs solves problems. It just exacerbates them.

Actually, we agree on almost all parts. I too would have no problem and actually would rather play offline. IF I could multiplayer with a couple of friends off battlenet as was the case b4. A completely insulated character is not my thing I am afraid. The sales demand is tricky one because yes it is non-subscription but it is not by any means free. 40 euros include the online play as is the case for most buy-2-play mmo-rpgs. Path of exile is free and a lot more stable (although I, by ALL MEANS, would rather play diablo 2). However, as they communicated the problem is not server capacity but rather data-base architecture-related meaning that it’s a complete oversight on their part that is not as easily fixed as adding server capacity (hense most of the frustration on my part). Lastly, yelling at the top of our lungs is a double-edged sword. It may motivate them to do better next time OR you may be right and make them dig in. For me its a risk I believe we should take.

I’m not a believer in “fear motivation”. Not at all. I think there’s a difference between pro-acting and reacting. Pro-acting is more difficult, requires thought and strategy, and isn’t immediately “rewarding” but has more sustainability.

IMO knee-jerk mentality is exactly the wrong direction Blizzard (or any developer) needs to have when it comes to making challenging and engaging video games. That’s what got them into the mess of microtransactions and pandering to specific groups. And that’s why you’ve got a bunch of “Fartnite” clones out there now, all vying for the latest money-grab.