Nova Sorc Merc Infinity mechanics?

Hi there.

Im fairly new to advanced D2(r)-play.

I’ve made my first Nova Sorc. I put Infinity on my Merc and expected to one-shot every mob in the game!

Sadly this isn’t so. Not even close, actually. Lightning immune mobs do shed their immunity, but they are still almost immune! It takes like 15-20 pulses for them to die.

It’s quite a different story if I equip Infinity myself though. Then I can take them down with 4-5 pulses. (Im not THAT well geared yet, so I wouldn’t expect to one-shot anyone anyway)

But I don’t get it. Everywhere I read that the Merc should wield the Infinity, but it’s nearly impossible to grind act 5 hell at this pace!

Does anyone know what the deal is with this?

The difference you’re noticing there is the fact that infinity also has minus enemy lightning resistances between 45 to 55%.

Once infinity’s convinction breaks the immunity, the minus enemy lightning resistances then takes effect. It’s pretty powerful vs broken immunes as it is the difference between say a 90% lightning resistant monster vs a 45% or 35% lightning resistant monster.

This effect only works when you are equipping the item however, and doesn’t work when your Merc is holding infinity, because the benefit only works if the spell caster is holding the item with those mods on it.

5 Likes

Yes agree with what Ona have mentioned. yes if you are making a nova sorc that have merc hold the infinity you will still be able to kill pretty well. But the monster kills comes only when you self wield the infinity yourself. Which is best base to use IMO is a non ethereal Scythe with 4 socket. with 2 soj and max mana, max ES and telekinesis and a insight merc, my mana have no issue and i am like a killing machine.

Only if you’re holding it

Kiiiiinda said that in my post already.

1 Like