No Sound at all in game

Initially couldn’t launch game past hitting play, would flick to black screen then crash to “unexpected error” Then later after they released a patch it now lets me launch and play, but I have absolutely no sound whatsoever.

Hey MordorOrc,

Double check the Windows volume mixer to make sure the game isn’t muted for some reason? When you have the game up hit alt-tab and then right-click on the sound icon at the bottom right and select Open Volume Mixer. Make sure the game is turned up and not muted.

If that looks good, feel free to post your DXDIAG and we can take a look.

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. In the Run window type dxdiag and press Enter.
  3. In the DirectX window, click Save All Information.
  4. Name the file “dxdiag” and save it to your Desktop. Open the new dxdiag file with Notepad.
  5. In the posting section hit the </> button for “Preformatted text” then paste (Ctrl+V) the DXDIAG contents. That’ll make the information much more readable.

If you are unable to post this due to the length of the DXDIAG, please feel free to use pastebin.com and share the direct link with us instead. Use the </> button as well in order to share the link.

1 Like
https://pastebin.com/gmSzr2c2

Thank you for response, sound is definitely not muted, sound works on everything else on my computer, only doesn’t work when I launch the game, I can even have other sound playing just fine (ex. streaming tv), just no game sound at all. No issues with any other game.

1 Like
        Description: Speakers (Nahimic mirroring device)

It looks like you may have MSI Nahimic software installed? We’ve seen some conflicts with this in the past and I wonder if your sound output is being redirected to a different playback device rather than your default speakers. Do you use Nahimic or have any other audio processing/control software running that might be redirecting the output? If you don’t use Nahimic for anything, uninstalling it and restarting the PC might be a good idea to try.

It doesn’t look like there’s a way to direct sound output in the game options, but I have another idea you can try that might help.

1. Press Windows+R
  2. Type mmsys.cpl into the run prompt, then press Enter
  3. Right click your speakers or headset and select Set as Default Device.
  4. Right click your speakers or headset and select Set as Default Communications Device.
  5. For every other device right-click each of them and select Disable.
  6. Click the Recording tab
  7. Repeat steps 3, 4, and 5 for your microphone or headset
2 Likes

I exited my Nahimic driver and re-launched the game and boom it works fine! I don’t need it for anything so I will just go ahead and get rid of it, thank you for the help! - side note, game looks amazing, really appreciate the fast responses and the assistance!

Having same exact issues since first patch you guys did over the weekend. No audio on cinematics or in game. At first, couldnt play at all until patched Friday.

Have a second, older computer that isnt having any issues at all. So it something to do with interface/hardware or software. Not settings.

MSI Z270 Krait gaming Board
Realtek HD audio manager (software with MSI board)
128 gig ram
RTX 2060

Follow up - I am also using the Nahimic driver, I did disable it completely and it did not reslove the issue. I confirmed I have no other audio devices enabled and my speakers are setup as my default as well.

Still no sound when I’m launching this but have no other issues with anything else, sounds related…

Follow up

Still need help. Still have no sound.

Hey Geebs,

Try uninstalling Nahimic since disabling it didn’t work. Uninstall and reboot the PC then try again.

Something else you could try would be to use Selective Startup

1. Press Windows Key+R.
  2. Type msconfig and press Enter.
  3. Select Selective startup and uncheck Load startup items.
  4. Select the Services tab.
  5. Check Hide all Microsoft services.
    Note: Skipping this step may prevent your computer from rebooting correctly.
  6. Click Disable all.
  7. Click Apply then click OK.
  8. Click Restart.

Okay.

Uninstalling did not work.

Disabling everything through msconfig and my startup APPs function did work! ( YES, finally).

Now it get to figure out what else is diverting my sound… but I got something.

thank you for the help!

2 Likes

Hi! I am also having a similar issue - no sound at all ingame. D2R reports an error at startup:

• Audio Device failed to initialize please check settings and drivers

This wasn’t the case a while ago. I had sound with the exact same setup I am using now, maybe only the USB port I’m using has changed since I had to move my PC and disconnected all cables.

My setup:

• 1 set of speakers connected to the motherboard 3.5 jack
  • 2 sets of inbuilt speakers on my monitors
  • Razer Baraccuda wireless headphones connected via USB
  • Razer SurroundSound7.1 - an app which is recommended by the manufacturer. It appears as a device and redirects sound to the headphones after processing it (default)

What I’ve done:

• checked that my current setup is working (sound is available in other Blizzard games like Heroes of the Storm, as well as movie players, browsers, system sounds, etc)
  • checked that the volume mixer hasn’t muted D2R - the volume mixer did not even display D2R - I think that should be a big hint.
  • I’ve confirmed that this is indeed the default setup through mmsys.cpl and that there are no problems in DXDIAG
  • reinstalled SurroundSound7.1
  • restarted my bnet client on almost every step
  • confirmed the sound settings in my bnet client

Result: HotS is working properly, D2R - not. I’d be happy to find a solution. I’m getting anxiety attacks not hearing rune drops :smiley:

1 Like

This worked for me! Was trying to play through my TCL 4k tv with Beyond and didnt have sound at first.

Thank you!

I was currently having issues. After following the advice, I have resolved the issues within Windows 11.

After I have tabbed game, I went into the volume settings. Explored until I found ‘Volume Mixer’ and changed the settings in diablo 2 audio output from default to my Bluetooth speakers.

Volume Settings → Volume Mixer → Diablo 2 Audio Output → Change from Default.

(Sorry for the bump but hope this helps others)

Fair Winds