Necromancer Summoner Unplayable - FIX AI

Does anyone else find the AI for the necromancer’s summons atrociously bad?

I find the Skeleton Warriors and Golem (your merc aside) are the only ones “that spawn on you” when you run ahead or if they get stuck in a corner. Skeleton Mages? 50/50. Revives? HAHAHAHAHA. I could be in an open area, run slightly ahead of where their X disappears on my mini-map for maybe a second or two, and they disappear completely/unsummon.

And they are dumb. My skeleton warriors/merc/golem could be duking it out with a wave of baddies, and these revives are just wandering around or going off-screen and unsummoning.

Rarely will I have a Revive timeout (due to 180 seconds) or die. They just can’t keep up, get stuck or wander off and unsummon.

And HOLY. maggot lair or any other area where the corridors are super tight? Good luck. not to mention that only one or two skeleton warriors can “fit in” at a time. So I’m just standing there as two of my army swing away at a baddy… waiting forever to get a kill and hopefully I can kill more of them with corpse explosion.

This is much worse then D2 original. Fix it or give everyone engima’s. And while you are at it, please please please. give the skele mages a slight buff. they are only good for freeze or psn, otherwise they are super weak but hp and dmg wise.

5 Likes

I haven’t noticed any of this. I just reached ACT V with Necromancer and I have 5 warrions, 5 magi and a golum. They are dumb, sure… but they have no issues keeping up and path finding. Unsummon? Never happened to me.

One bug that did happen twice was one of the skeletons simply dying right in front of me for no reason. It didn’t unsummon… it just died… animation, sounds and all.

What does drive me crazy though is how they are 100% full aggro even when in town. I often need to destroy them all myself when I’m trying to talk to NPCs and learn the lore due to how damn distracting they are running around like cockroaches on fire. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t like that on the original and they would stay calm and still while in town, only occasionally walking a few steps then stopping again, much like the mercenary.

1 Like

compared to vanilla and other mods like PD2, the skellys do feel sluggish and the merc as well always getting stuck in the back of the pack avoiding the work. hopefully they do fix that a bit but still playable

Start using the Revives. You’ll definitely notice. Golems/Warriors aren’t that bad. Mages? depends on the day of the week

1 Like

Yes absolutely. I’m not playing summoner until they fix it.

And remove that cast bonewall on leorics when hit sh1t’s annoying,
like occy when you get hit.

1 Like

Same here : Necro summons sometimes disappear instead of being teleported to the caster if they are too far offscreen.

Revives are the most affected (sometimes just after being summoned) at the point that I end up only summoning them when I know I will get to a boss soon.

Skeleton Mages are also affected but in a lower case. Sometimes half of them are teleported while the others disappear into limbo.

The basic Skeletons are still affected as well. You just see it much less.

Please fix.

Hey, just here to say, unsummoned minion for no reason, should be fixed.

Have a good day in hell !

2 Likes

I don’t find much wrong with the skellies, both norm and mage seem to do ok for me. In my games the merc is the moron. He’ll actually break off from fighting a monster and walk away while I’m just standing there casting. And, as mentioned below he seems to always be at the back of the pack when we get to tight quarters. I have a tele staff that I whip out in these cases. In D2, my necro was super strong and easy to play, but I had Enigma so tele was just another way of getting around and very effective with the collective jumping with me. Enigma is FAR into the future here with these drops. I’ll probably move on to a smiter before I get it.

The only itchy issue I find is that the merc get’s stuck standing still more times than from a wall/door arch. I know it sounds ok to those who typically don’t need the merc, but some builds like Nerco (beast) or Caster (Insight) lose the aura’s from these mercs.

That why a teleport staff is mandatory. Should it be that way NO, but its the sad reality.

And in the maggot lair I summon 1 skelly max, if any.
My merc does all the primary job, since he’s stronger than my other boys. Then I let CE express itself.

1 Like

You need to get yourself an oskill teleport somehow. This has been a thing forever. In the old days most summoner necro’s ended up with as duped enigma. You can also get a staff with teleport charges on swap. When you teleport all your summons teleport with you and spawn right next to you. Playing a skelliemancer has always been kind of akin to herding cats.

1 Like

This is 100% true. The mages unsummon if you’re running a lot for distances. Revives? Lol they just disappear on you within 5 seconds of running anywhere. They also sit back looking dumb while your golem and skele warriors are fighting. I gave on my summoning necro once he hit Hell. Not worth it.

So much this. Just keep in mind that (charged) Tele is bugged

The merc AI seems to be even worse than it already was.

Bugged how? I’ve been using the spellsteal axe without issues

Tele (Najs) in proximity doesn’t work. The pets stay in place. If you’re lucky 1 or two may be teleported to your position. If you’re not and are in need of a meat shield since you’re being crowded… well you probably know the rest. This is probably even more annoying than the disconnects. Easy way to test would be, try to reposition yourself in the inner circle of where Diablo spawns. It just doesn’t work.

Easy tip: walk

Do not run. Use boots with FRW and just go.

I have gotten to hell A2, and as much as the skeleton AI can be frustrating, its workable. I just resign to the fact that I’m going to have to resummon a few if I run long distances. The merc is frustrating beyond belief though. I have burned through so much gold resurrecting him because he just stands there blocking hits with his face.

I’m in A2 Hell as well, been running the Pit to get some levels while I take stabs as the maggot layer every once in a while. I may just hire a melee guy to go in there, this morning I telly’d into a pack of scarabs and had to exit to save my a$s.

Double check your merc level, I forgot about this but mercs seem to fall behind every once in a while. Make sure your merc is keeping up on levels with you. Also make sure you get him good armor and a weapon that leeches. Keep an eye on him and throw him a rejuv pot when needed.

I have noticed he likes to stand around more than I remember him doing, I was wondering if the bigger screen means I see more and stay back more than I used to. Thus he doesn’t get in his own agro range. It would be good if they increased his ‘do something’ range.