My suggestions moving forward

Yo! I got some suggestions and ideas that I would like to share. These are personal and I realize that not everyone will agree. Can always voice your opinion and discuss about it. There’s no tldr for this and it’ll probably be a few pages worth of text. Edited so it’s easier to read (hopefully).

Options/Settings
nopickup
Stat confirmation box
Runewords
New melee/physical runeword, Determination
Splendor
Lawbringer
Crescent Moon
Edge
Black
End game runeword armors
Class armor runewords
Classes
Barbarian, Double Swing
Barbarian, Iron Skin
Barbarian, War Cry
Barbarian, Grim Ward
Frenzy
Amazon, Penetrate/Evade
Amazon, Valkyrie
Druid, Summon Dire Wolf/Summon Grizzly
Druid, Lycanthropy
Druid, "Vines"
Assassin, Blade Fury
Assassin, Blade Shield
NextHitDelay
Uniques
Firelizard's Talons
The Reaper's Toll
Lacerator
Areas
Mausoleum/Crypt
2 Likes

Solid ideas but was wondering what you think of the following for Penetrate:

-1% Enemy Physical Resistance per level.

Higher in level it is, the greater the “penetration” or reduction in Enemy Physical Resistance. It’d work just like a Sorceress Cold Mastery and only applies on non-immune targets. You could argue this could be applied to Barbarian Weapon Masteries(double impact on Polearm/Spear), Assassin Claw Mastery and Druid Werebear(Werewolf is OP/broken with Reaper Toll… enough said).

I also feel Iron Skin = integer Physical Reduction. This attribute can be more effective in PvM than %Physical Resistance since its applied before Resistance. Get it high enough and the Barbarian can tank just about anything. PvP though and %Resistance is king.

-1 % phy res…isn’t it dmg reduce @%??

-Enemy Physical Resistance on Penetrate is exactly like placing a curse on the opponent(Decrepify/Amplify Damage). Only this time, it’s independent of the curse but only applies when the target is not Physical Immune(just like -Enemy Resistance for Fire/Cold/Lightning and Poison Damage). This effect would stack with Amplify Damage/Decrepify and would notably be impactful on Physical Immunes after their immunity has been broken by Amplify Damage/Decrepify.

As for Iron Skin, Damage Reduced by X is applied before Damage Reduced by X%. If a monster deals 100 damage but you have Damage Reduced by 50, you’ll receive 50 Physical Damage. Similar outcome with 50% Physical Resistance.

Yet if you get inflicted with Amplify Damage, 100 Damage is treated much differently in both cases. Firstly, that 100 Damage with Damage Reduced by X is applied(hence reduced to 50) before being amplified by a factor of 2 since Physical Resistance is -100(50 x 2 = 100 Damage when cursed). Yet with 50% Physical Resistance, getting hit with Amplify Damage means your Physical Resistance drops to -50%. Meaning that same 100 Damage now does 150 Damage to you, a difference of 50 Damage.

TLDR: Sol rune > Ber rune when it comes to Damage mitigation(especially in PvM situations). PvP, %Damage ultimately will win out due to high damage values but if you can manage to get PDR or Damage Reduced by X high enough, you can ignore incoming Damage outright in a lot of PvM cases. Damage Reduced by X% can never do that and is why I advocate for Damage Reduced by X on Iron Skin as opposed to %Physical Resistance.

Thanks for thinking atleast some of my ideas are solid :grinning:
So, I’m newly woken up and I’ll just put some initial thoughts on the idea and I will include the other classes when replying. It’s not necessarily a bad idea, however, it might be extremely powerful depending on how high it’ll scale and it will be a power creep for these classes/builds. If we’re thinking -1% per point including soft points, that’ll scale quite easily to -28% which is more than half of a decrepify. If we’re thinking 0.5% per point including soft points, it’ll easily go to -14% or higher. If we’re thinking hard points only, it’ll be -20% max with 1% per point and -10% with 0.5% per point. This would require extensive testing, but the 0.5% per hard point, maybe. And I’m just speaking of PvM here, will probably have massive implications for PvP.

The “Damage reduced by X” compared to “Damage reduced by x%” is not a bad idea. Not sure which one I would prefer overall yet though.

With respect and from what I have read, aside from a few exceptions such as adding a small run/walk bonus to evade, most of these change suggestions are missing consideration of something or is just not needed.

For example what is the thinking behind adding a run/walk bonus to penetrate?

How do you plan on balancing the skills out if NHD gets addressed majorly?

This also should probably go into general discussion instead of PTR feedback.

Penetrate can use an improvement to make it more skill point efficient by further boosting the % attack rating it gives. This will add more skill point flexibility to Amazons without introducing power creep.

Feel free to elaborate further since you feel this way.

Thinking for FRW for Amazon: “fast and agile jungle huntress” as the fantasy of the class for me as a short answer.

For NHD: Accordingly. Let’s take Claws of Thunder and Dragon Talon (a number of kicks in rapid succession) as our finisher in this example. We’re gonna assume that we charge up CoT 3 times. NHD on CoT Charge 3 (Charged Bolts) and Charge 2 (Nova) is 4 frames each and Charge 1 has no NHD. Now if Dragon Talon exceeds a certain IAS breakpoint, every kick frame except for the last one will be 3 frames which means Charge 3 of CoT will deal damage. Since Dragon Talon releases 1 charge per kick, Charge 2 won’t deal damage because the follow-up kick is 1 frame faster than the CoT NHD.

My critique here was more around run speed having nothing to do with the fantasy/roll that penetrate is meant to fill. On a passive like evade though, this makes a lot more sense.

NHD: I do agree it’s a crude mechanic. Removing it in the game’s current state though will likely cause more problems than it solves. A lot of the skills will need to be revised.

This is fair, but Penetrate could technically be renamed to a more fitting name to accomodate the change if it were to happen. “Agility” perhaps?

Certainly. Issues could arise from completely removing it from all affected spells. The answer is most likely in between, on a spell by spell basis.

Making it an additional benefit for evade would be fitting enough without needing to rename penetrate and without reimagining the role that the right hand P&M skill tree is about, which is offensive based passives.

Adding the run bonus to penetrate would also benefit some builds more than others and kind of skew things, most notably would benefit non-faith based builds more (because penetrate in faith’s instance will be a 1 point wonder).

1 Like

Fair point. My initial thought would be to put it on one of them, while Evade makes more sense thematically, it would help Penetrate. I’m still fine with either.

Pretty solid suggestions overall and agree with your thoughts about expanding runeword bases, such as Black, Crescent Moon, etc… Below are my proposed ideas for expanding runeword bases…

1 Like