My Name is Suddenly Profane

Why is my name “reserved” or “profane?” I can’t see it being “profane” as I’ve been using it for the past 15 years without a problem. I can’t see that it’s “reserved” as I made a paladin with that name, got half way through act 2 and realized that I didn’t like the build I was playing, and decided to start over. My current character is level 5. I can’t log in to it because it’s been retroactively declared “reserved or profane”. I am NOT going to delete it and start over again!

Why would you do this to someone AFTER they have played a character for several hours, then lock them out and basically trash all of their work? If the name was “reserved or profane” why not tell me so at the very beginning before I play for several hours? If you are going to retroactively decide to tell players that their name is unavailable and that they can no longer access those characters, why not at the very least give us the option to change our name? If you won’t let me access or at the very least rename this character, I’d like a refund. I see no reason to pay you for the ability to pull the rug out from under my at a whim with out any warning or ability to continue playing my characters.

Not only that “Vex” is a profane reserved word. But really this appears to be a bug, one that has persisted for months and randomly affects users. The old fashion CTRL-ALT-DEL reboot sometimes works.

is this a troll post ? hours for lvl 5 ?

also since no g-rush mentionned that also can"t be 1 hour and a half

We have seen a few reports of players unable to create/join new games if at some point during the session they tried to create a game with a restricted or reserved name. This is an issue that is being investigated but in the meantime logging out and closing the game client the relogging in should solve the issue.

Now beyond that, we do not lock individual characters on an account for any of our games. If we were to take action against an account for any sort of policy violation it would be against the entire account.

I did not see any restrictions on your battle.net account or for the game so any issues you are experiencing are likely a bug or a technical issue.

The name restrictions for character creation do change over time. So it is entirely possible a name you used previously may now be restricted when creating a new characters. No one here can address naming restrictions or remove a word that you feel should be allowed from the list. You would need to make that suggestion on the general discussion forums.

But as for the character you cannot access that is something we and the community here can try to troubleshoot. As that is precisely what this particular forum is for.

Restart the client and retest creating/joining a game with the character that was “locked”

If the issue persists reply back with the exact error message you get when trying to access the character or create/join games and we can dig into that further with you.

I have same issue will try logging out , comes up reserved or profane no matter what i type.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.