Mosaic Runeword Feedback

I think the biggest flaw with this runeword is it doesn’t create a new viable weapon choice for the cost.
Compared to Bartuc’s as mentioned above, it’s a lesser version with a new mechanic. While that mechanic is nice, especially in dual claws, it lacks in other areas, making the dual claw mosaic build not efficient.
Running Hell Act 1 with these claws, I was surprised at how often it does proc. The 50% chance feels nice, but it can cause some issues with Phoenix strike. I find myself triple casting Ice damage, when I want it to run down all the elements if I’m facing an immune. Rather than having to count my charges and strike accordingly, I just want to burn through them to dump all elements. The chance to not use charge is both a boon and a debuff in this way.
The two larger issues I noticed, is that while I’m building charges I’m barely inflicting any damage. 98% of my damage is coming from the finisher. While I’m trying to build charges and clear mobs, I’m also getting heavily damaged due to lack of sustain. With BoS and Fade not stacking, I’m forced to choose between ias for faster stacks, or fade for sustain. These are not end game claws as you struggle with trash mobs in hell a1 on players 1 with dual mosaics. In a players 3-5 game on a playthrough, you would be struggling to kill even basic enemies without getting thrashed. Clearing trash mobs in hell a1 shouldn’t take 2/3 super healing potions each mob. Without sustain on these, you’d have an easier clear time running a goofy max shadow master and mind blast build where you just sit and stun while the shadow and merc do everything; which in turn would allow you to keep your mal gul and trade them for a vex to make a hoto.

These claws need WAY more for the cost of Mal Gul.

They should have some Vitality on them for greater life pool. They should have some resistance on them like jade talon. They need lifesteal and more ias like other solid melee choices. If all we get is a new mechanic, we’re sacrificing stats, speed, lifesteal, res, crushing blow, deadly strike, etc for the cost of 2 high runes. Double that loss if you want to dual wield for a higher retain chance.

I think it’s a nice idea, and I love that they’re looking at the MA skill tree, but I feel like this just adds a normal-mode-only viable mechanic that is unobtainable until early stages of end game. If the stats are to remain the same, the Mal Gul needs to be downgraded to maybe io shael. That way we get some Vit and ias and the cost is more inline with the stats provided. They can even dump the mechanic to 15% so duel wielding only gets you to 30%. For the cheaper cost it would still be fine.

To really make MA viable, the charge skills need to be reworked as they do almost nothing by themselves without a finisher. New mechanics won’t solve that problem. At it’s best, it’s an expensive band-aid. At it’s worst, it’s a high rune dumpster. Same level of disappointment as if you stuck mal and gul into a claw and got nothing but the rune stats on it.

In paladin and pvp, assassin’s martial arts skills are not available.

After all, it is impossible for an assassin to become stronger without improving the skill itself.

Enemies affected by the shadow cloak must be changed to have 0 defense, cannot be blocked with a shield, and can be buffed using both fade and bust of speed simultaneously.

Tiger Strike, Cobra Strike, and Phoenix Strike are changed to a two-handed attack motion when equipped with a dual-wielding claw.

110% agree in this teleport spam meta and same with smite 90% of the melee suck to dead

3 Likes

The ED really does nothing for kick finishers, it would be good if we got some raw +magic damage on it or +dmg if it worked on kicks.

But honestly if you want to make MA more viable just make the charge ups skills always hit and the finisher require AR instead.

Chance to not consume charges really messes up phoenix strike, where you want release a specific charge but the weapon prevents you from doing so.

The weakest part of the MA skills is the charging part not the release, you’re doing no damage when you’re charging so why not make that part easier?

3 Likes

This checked most of the boxes, replacing Thul with Eth would complete it. :rofl:

6 Likes

OMG! Why you are trying to fix item which is useless?!?!?! Why not having the only good interesting part of the item into the skills itself?
Imagine just the charge-up skills or finisher or claw mastery even to have this as a chance (similar to what they did to throw mastery)!
So you can use much better item and still will have the option to NOT consume charge…
Can we stop adding more and more and more useless items into the game? Can we just modiy/fix/update and bring up to date the hundreds of useless runewords and unique/magic/rare items…

1 Like

Edit: just wached llama video, I dont like him, but his right, new mechanics should be implemented to skills, thats how D2 was designed, its not D3, where everything is based on items. XX chance for finishing moves to not consume charges should be implemented to MA skills and Claw Mastery.

My proposition
+2 to Assa skills
+2-3 to Martial Arts (varies)
+35% Increased Attack Speed
+250-350% Enhanced Damage
Ignores Targets Defence
-15-25% to Enemy Fire Resist
-15-25% to Enemy Light Resist
-15-25% to Enemy Cold Resist
prevent monster heal
4 Likes

Please don’t add the chance to not spend a charge to claw mastery, that would mess with phoenix strike. If it stays on mosaic at least phoenix strike users can just opt out.

As for mosaic itself, it’d probably be fine as it is if NextDelay was fixed, then dragon talon could be used to release 4+ charges pretty reliably.

Other suggestions:

Change it to ‘25% chance to apply charge effects again’ . Nothing too OP and wouldn’t mess with the MA rhythm. Just make sure to delay it a bit to avoid NextDelay problems.

Or make mosaic have 25% chance to add a 3 charge effect to a finisher, latest used charge up skill, regardless of whether you actually have any charges or not. Customizable riftsin anyone?:smiley:

Maybe skip the stacking for both of these though, or mess with the chance to trigger, 25% would be OP as hell.

2 Likes

A chance for charge up not to expire messes up phoenix strike timing. Most of the time, you want to freeze a pack then use the second charge to finish everything off. Meteor charge is only used on immobile act bosses. Chance not to consume a charge is more easily controlled. You can charge up just one time, finish for freeze then charge up again then finish multiple times until a charge gets used.

I agree on ed and crushing blow with you, 33% crushing blow then to stay consistent.

Really great proposition.

I agree with you. If you don’t want random charges, you can drop Mosaic and use Plague instead or Bartuc’s. Implementing the chance in Claw Mastery would mess up Phoenix Strike completely.

Only on Tiger Strike or Cobra strike is good to not consume charge… But neither of those can use the claws, because they are just so bad…
The PTR is a joke…
I cannot believe that developers who actually know the game would create this type of items… Either they have no clue of the game or they just do not care…

ED part is for life leech with dragon claw and while charging, the other mods are for kicks like crushing blow. You can’t satisfy everyone or everything but with those mods you cover pretty much every MA finisher. Dragon talon uses up weapon durability. Indestructible attribute is paramount there.

1 Like

If they made +dmg worked for kicks as well it would satisfy everything…

1 Like

@ grandma
Not consuming charges is theoretically useful for the single element skills.

And tiger strike is great if you use it with dragon tail, massive damage.

2 Likes

They built Metamorphosis to try to mimic the druid on D4, which is interesting yet not ergonomic in D2. The shift from wolf to human then bear and back again is the hold up on the theme. If the druid could shift between wolf and bear without having to go human would fix that issue, yet I doubt that mechanic will be touched by the dev team.

4 Likes

Yeah but in D4 i think you just use a certain ability and it transforms you into the wolf/bear. It’s like part of the skill function. Like if you were in human form, and you wanted to use fury, it would shift you automatically into the wolf to use fury. Then if you wanted to use elemental skills it would shift out and put you in human form. Much more fluid gameplay.

2 Likes

Suggestion then, these synergies to Tiger Strike and Cobra Strike:

Claw Mastery: +1.5% chance to not consume charges per level
Dragon Talon: +1.5% chance to not consume charges per level
Dragon Claw: +1.5% chance to not consume charges per level
Dragon Tail: +1.5% chance to not consume charges per level
Dragon Flight: +1.5% chance to not consume charges per level

6 Likes

Might as well enable it for FoF, CoT and BoI too in that case, it’s beneficial to all skills except phoenix strike.

It might be a pretty nice QoL thing even with 25% chance, mitigates misses when you’re trying to keep the charger-spender-charger rhythm going

1 Like

For that to be possible, the riddle must disappear, or if the teleport skill is 1 skill, the cooldown is 5 seconds, and if the teleport skill is 40, the cooldown is 2 seconds. The difference between D2R, D3, and D4 is that the damn runeword is teleported and everyone becomes a flying Peter Pan.

2 Likes

Ok, I don’t know what that means. Congratulations?

1 Like