Martial Arts - Tiger Tail Assassin Guide

Somehow I can’t get the character to download.
I think it’s the link.
If someone can help me I would be really grateful

found the error in the link are 2 spaces too many

Great news:

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for the post, really appreciate it. I was trying to think of any way that there could be a better alternative to your gear choices. I really like the lacerator spec and thought if there was a way to bring that over to other gear choices, that would make a really good spec.

I tested it out and you can actually gain plus to skills to charges by weapon swapping. only thing is you have to run with no cta but it might be worth. So using a lacerator or even a lawbringer in the mainhand, as you charge up and proc decrep/amp, then swap to dual claws to release the finisher. So if you have lets say dual bartucs your current charges go up in skill by +6, same with dragon tail.

So I think it could be an interesting spec, going claws of thunder, PS, tiger-tail using lawbringer/ss to build charges and weapon swapping to release huge finishers. Lawbringer over lacerator because no terror and slain monster wont affect us, because we weapon swap to kill stuff.

Hi mate, you’ve done some great work, with your guides :slight_smile:

I leveled as a Trapsin, I’m on A3 hell right now.
Can wear torch and Anni, so I’m thinking of respeccing right now.
Wanted to play a MA sin for ladder from the start, but can’t decide.

Would you recommend Tigertail, or phoenix strike as a farming build, with medium gear?
I got some mid runes, to get more gear.

Tigertail seems to have more damage, while phoenix strike seems to be more versatile, regarding different monster types, because of its 3 elemental DMG.

On the other hand Tigertail mechanics seems to be kind of easier, since you just need to click both skills.

Wouldn’t Tigertail, with Lacerator, get the Phys immunes, since it has amplify DMG with -100 pi reduction?

Would love to hear your opinion :slight_smile:

thanks!

I agree with your analysis, Phoenix Strike can be a little more versatile with it’s damage types available, but it’s much easier to break physical immunes with a Reapers Toll Merc or with the Lacerator setup, and the spec doesn’t require as much focus when playing.

I personally find PS to be a little more fun, but they both play quite different, and are quite powerful. Maybe download both the single player chars I have available in the guide and mess around with them for a bit? Do a couple chaos runs and see how things feel.

Yeap! Lacertator setup can be very powerful with Tigertail. I do have a D2planner setup regarding it, but I don’t cover it in detail. It can definitely be utilized in a more budget focused setup.

sorry to necro. do you think this build would benefit more from a physical sunder charm or a fire one?

Necroing a guide isn’t a huge deal imo. This is a bit of an interesting one that I’ve definitely been mulling over, and I think the unfortunate answer is; use both:

The physical sunder charm guarantees that you can deal AoE dmg, because physical immunes result in 0 AoE dmg, and a Fire charm results in you being able to deal AoE to all monsters.

If you can get a good String of Ears/Dungos, and mix it with Engima/Shako, or Full Nats set, you can completely negate the dmg increase from the Phys sunder charm, and mixing in some gloves with Fire resists, or maybe even upped Aldurs Boots, you can help relieve some of the Fire sunder charms negative effect.

1 Like

I’m building one up at the moment, with enigma, phoenix, infinity, fire ans Phys sunder and some other gear.
I can tell more in a few days.

I’m really curious if Phoenix is worth using over a 4x Fire Facet Monarch. You’re removing both Physical and Fire immunes, so you’re primed to use Death Sentry, but Redemption is gonna eat those corpses. Also that 400% dmg on Phoenix is additive to Tiger Strikes 3000% dmg, as well as your attributes bonus, and things like might from your merc. In the end it becomes very diluted, only yielding ~5-10% more damage. I’m not sure if its worth it, when your Death Sentries are ready to go at full power.

I’ve also been thinking, mixing in an Amp dmg phaseblade or runic talons, with Atma’s scarab will give you a 9.75% chance to cast amp dmg per hit, and with 3 hits while charging up, you’re sitting at roughly a ~29% chance to proc Amp dmg before you kick the monster. I think Amp dmg mixed with infinity will be the best bet, and the dmg of your weapon doesn’t matter causes it’s just for building charges and your boots deal the dmg, so technically it could even just be a Magic/Blue sword or claw. With that said, I don’t think Lacerator is the best option for the proc, the 100% fear gets extremely annoying and stops the monsters from grouping up.

I would definitely be interested in your results though. I wish we could get sunder charms in Single Player, would help with testing

https://maxroll.gg/d2/d2planner/770106kj
Have a look at this with natalya’s set :smiley:
330k dps with no immunes around.

1 Like

That’s a juicy kick for a budget build and no immunities, Nat’s set is such a good fit for the spec. The sockets and extra stats are so versatile. I should spend sometime updating all my guides for 2.5 and sunder charms.

Also wanted to get your gears going on something: there were some hidden buffs, to FoF and BoI, that weren’t mentioned in the patch notes of 2.4. And the introduction of sunder charms has made me experiment with them a bit more, but also puts the use of sunder charms with them into question, imo. I’d like to hear your thoughts on it:

Fist of Fire:

• Explosion and Burn radius increased from 2.66 yards → 4 yards
  • 3rd charge now explodes and burns ground

Blades of Ice:

• 3rd charge now explodes and freezes monsters

https://maxroll.gg/d2/d2planner/ks0106vt#1
Small Reminder: The AoE explosion dmg isn’t listed in the dps section for dragon claw, that’s just the claws. Hover over the skill graphic and check charge 1 dmg to see the AoE dmg for Charge 2 and 3

So full charge of these two skills have effectively received 2x dmg to it’s AoE portion, but with the requirement of using 2x Claws we run into the issue of how to drop monster resistance for a single resist if using sunder charms. You can technically use a Plague Claw and a 3x faceted Claw, for 20% change to proc Lower Resists and an extra -15 cold or fire resists. But with the 1/5 penalty in play to both Conviction and LR, when using sundered charms, I think it merits going dual element and 2x Plague Claw, because the unimmune element is receiving -142 resists to it from Conv+LR alone and it only costs an extra 20 skill points to max out a 2nd element.

So in the end I concluded FoF+BoI with no sunder is best; you get two different elements at fairly decent dmg levels, and if you do run into a mob immune to both, your uncharged Dragon Claw deals solid physical damage. Maybe you’ll draw different conclusions, but at the moment I can’t come up with a better combo. On a side note, using the cold sunder charm can still be helpful when dual element, because it allows you to freeze all mobs with BoI and the Cham rune in your claws, even if you’re using FoF.

Either way, I’d be interested in you’re thoughts regardless.

I see what you did there. That’s a very nice first playthrough sin. However, I see some problems there:

1. You don’t actually want to freeze or shatter corpses. Death sentry helps a lot with clear speed, even 1point vs high hp targets. You clear the first mob, DS takes care of all of the onrushing ones then.
  2. There’re proportionally more fire immunes than immune to any other element, almost 40% of all, very dangerous monsters btw. So what you see as a nice mix is actually a primarliy blades of ice sin with FoF as backup vs immunes.
  3. The damage output is too low even in p3. I’d understand the idea before sundered charms were introduced. After the sunder story, concentrating and strengthening single element damage would be my first priority.

I only played sins last ladder, because I didn’t play any sin builds before.

I actually leveled 5 sins, trap, ps, tigertail, riftsin, and bladefury.
I enjoyed all of them, besides the trapsin and riftsin.

Mostly I loved Ps and tigertail.
Ps because of the different DMG types and tigertail because of the ridiculous DMG.
The thing about tigertail, that really bugged me, was all the immunes.

As a ladder starter, I have a sorc and I’m bored already, so I will get back to the sin.

I had decent drops so far and gathered some runes.

With the cold sorc and cold mastery, which decreases enemy immunities a lot, I got it, that there are kind of no immunes left.

But how about the PS sin and mostly Tigertail?
Are there really no immunities left, with a Phys and fire sunder?
That would kind of make the tigertail op.

Last ladder, I played the tigertail with enigma, phoenix and plague claw.
The PS with dual plague.

Is it still kind of the way to go, regarding gear?
Would love to get your insights :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As you clearly see, physical and fire immunes are a joke now.

1 Like

This looks great, even with “Just” Nat Set :slight_smile:

When rolling a Plague claw, which base would be the best, is it still Suwayyah, or scissors ssuwayyah?

For what?

You can see here:

No runewords involved, not a single one.

That’s rad! I never played the Assassin when I was a kid, but the class has definitely become my favourite over the past 5 years. Especially the martial arts, I like that there’s a degree of skill when it comes to charge management and targeting the right monster, depending on the spec. So there’s always room for improvement when it comes to your gameplay and dps.

https://maxroll.gg/d2/d2planner/nw0206kt
all specs currently set to fight Fire Enchanted+Stone Skin Lister the Tormentor

Personally, I think Tiger Tail is worth using both the fire and physical Sunder charms with. Some food for thought though: I think there is some merit in running a 4x +3/-5% Fire Facet Monarch (+5/-5 would be best) over Phoenix in this case. The 350→400% enhanced dmg is super diluted by Tiger Strike because they add to the same multiplier. So going from ~2800% TS dmg to ~3200% is an increase of ~14% dmg. The +Fire dmg from Facets is a brand new multiplier for the equation, so its providing 12-20% more dmg, depending on +% Facet quality. So they balance out there somewhat, and it does yield slightly less -% fire rests, but the redemption aura sucks up corpses from Death Sentry and you’re using both the physical and fire sunder charms, so that means Death Sentry is ready to go at full power. Just seems like Phoenix’s benefits don’t quite outweigh the redemption aura cancelling DS.

I think the Claw can be variable and swapped around. I think Plague is good but, If you can find a Magic Claw with:
Amplify dmg
+3 martial art or +2 assassin skills
2 sockets (Larzuk)

I think you could justify swapping to Atma’s for a combined 9.75% chance to proc amp dmg. You have to swing 3 times to charge up and the kick can apply it too, so there’s a decent chance to proc it, ~33% chance from a full cycle of 4 hits. Overall though I think Plague+Phoenix would be more than sufficient, and Crazymage’s Full Nats spec is actually very well round and powerful, its dmg output is definitely comparable to a “gg setup” for much cheaper. The set is also extremely durable with crazy resists, dmg reduction, and dual leach. You obv miss out on teleport, but depending on where you farm/how you play, it might not be that big of a deal.

When it comes to Phoenix Strike, I think it suffers from the same issues as FoF/CoT/BoI in regards to Sunder charms. You could totally use a sunder charm and pick an element, such as lightning or fire, but when using Infinity+Plague you reduce a sundered monsters resists by only -28 combined, vs -142 resists to all the other resists. You might as well forgo the sunder charms and just release the appropriate element every time you run into an immune. I’d definitely still rock dual plague for PS.

1 Like

I think CoT can be combined with a sunder charm (crack of heavens) for a complete build but it isn’t going to be cheap. The thing is infinity works at 1/5, -17%, vs sundered enemies, with double plague, you also have 40% chance for lower resist. Add to that a facetted griffon and you get very powerful damage output against ALL types of enemies. With dual claws, you can use dragon claw for release which is even stronger than dtail for CoS. If you use fade instead of BoS, 25-29% damage reduction, capped res with enigma would be possible. 60% claw block is also possible.

1 Like

It definitely seems more viable than Fire and Ice. As you mentioned, when we were discussing it prior, Ice’s freeze shattering corpses causes some issues in terms of dps, but I ran into something I didn’t consider with fist of fire as well. Since FoF converts all your dmg to fire, you don’t leech any resources at all. You kind of have to take a break from time to time to and spam DC to get some life back. But yea CoT definitely seems to be the move viable with sunder charms out of the 4 elemental claw skills. I just really wish they would make the minimum dmg scale similar to max dmg for all 3 charges, and remove NHD on Nova so monsters can be hit by Nova and at least 1 charged bolt. Just sucks when skill completely whiffs and deals next to no damage.

1 Like

I tested dragon claw version of CoT build in hero editor, it is very solid. You get 6 charges released instead of 3 with DC. By using fade, you can’t reach last IAS BP with dragon claw which is a good thing in this case (NHD).
Such a shame BoI does so little damage and shatters corpses. That would’ve been the ultimate elemental martial artist with nightwings etc.
FoF loses outright vs dragontail in element damage. Even if it worked right it would’ve been inferior.