Leap Barb - good direction but not quite there

I honestly see that as a good thing. I get it might seem comical but leap attack would become a primary skill instead of just something you use to move to a location faster and just happens to do some dmg in that instance.

1 Like

Well, iā€™d say the major question here is, if leap attack should be viable as main attack skill (like frenzy, WW and so on) or if the utility side should be further expanded?

If it would be a main attack skill it would lead to a frog like playstyle as Milox said and im not sure if i would like thisā€¦im always a friend of combining different skills rather then spaming one skill all the time, therefore i would like the idea of an opening skill moreā€¦

What would the skill need to be viable as an opening skill? First answer could be: massive AOE damage and maybe a little cooldown, which forces the player to use other skills as well to do what has do be done. But on the other hand if you alter it in this way, the ability to flee with it could be lost!

What i would prefer is, that the skill has mediocre damage, at a degree that you may be able to get rid of weak enemies in the first place. Maybe one could add a chance to proc things like crushing blowā€“>perfect for a starter.

Secondly, iā€™d like to see more utility! For instance every foe, which has been hit, is slowed for a few seconds or gets a debuff to take more damage as Kiadaw saidā€¦or a stunning effect would also be possible, put the barb has already warcry and iā€™d rather have something differentā€¦ slowing would open up the possibility to use it as some kind of hunting skill, moving quickly to some foes, nailing them down an finish them off with something else!

Would be really cool if Leap Attack could proc open wounds as that would be great from a utility standpoint.

1 Like

i disagree with the ā€œgood directionā€.

The change in animation is good (and the fact that you will leap attack no matter what, not swing in place).

AoE damage is useless in the current amount, apart from maybe very early.

But mainly, Leap Attack should not be a build. It would be so silly if barbs would just peap around a small pack of mobsā€¦ in essence it will also feel very much like whirlwind.

Leap Attack is a Utility skill. It should never be a centerpiece of a build. Make it a synergy to something.

2 Likes

Agreed that Leap Attack should be a utility skill and think it should have a synergy with whirlwind.

1 Like

Why not let plain leap be the utility, and let leap attack be an attack?

I personally would have preferred they add the slow/increase damage taken thing to leap and/or leap attack instead of the corpse-dependent totem and potion find skillsā€¦ :expressionless:

2 Likes

You make a good point, have leap be utility skill and leap attack be a mainstay attack. If this is the direction, leap attack build by itself should be viable and will need the AoE based on % weapon damage.

Hopefully they look into leap attack more. The current damage it has changes nothing. Even 10x the damage wouldnā€™t be op, though it would be nice to see it do a % of damage. If they want to prevent barbs from turning into frogs they could even add a cooldown so itā€™s just used to engage groups. Though the damage would have to be pretty huge if it has a cooldown.

1 Like

no no no leap and leap attack are movement tools and utility

they are not and should not be a stand alone ā€œbuildā€

But leap and leap attack serve the same purpose atm. Why not have one be different with reasonable aoe damage.

1 Like

the direction they are doing is a good one, one is a mobility move with safety/crowd control (leap with knockback effect) and the other one is a mobility move with offensive effect as secondary. it just needs fine tuning.

1 Like

Well said, completely agree.

Blizzard, please fix Leap Attack before you finalize the patch notes for 2.4. Thanks!

Leap Attackā€™s AoE needs to scale with weapon damage, a reduce amount of course. 25% would be a good place to start.

1 Like

Yes, Blizzard do this please!

1 Like

Would be interesting to use your defense value as a damage modifier

it would take your barb build in a completely different direction rather than trying to min max weaponā€¦ to increase AOE. how about a percentage of your total defenses

would work like berzerk but transfers a percentage of the defense rating lost as AOE leaving you defenseless for x amount of timeā€¦ minus the knock backā€¦ Take the + 2 leap off gorefoot as barb only and make it something other classes can useā€¦ probably would mess up the animation mechanics on all the other classes thoughā€¦

Interesting idea, would make Shout mandatory. I think basing off % weapon damage is a straightforward approach.

1 Like

Bump for visibility.