Is martial art assasin that bad endgame?

Hi,

I just play a martial art/shadow assassin. I’m currently lvl 28 in player 8 normal. For now, it’s one of the most easy build i play in players 8 with the summoner druid.

Is this build became really that bad in NM? I read lots of thing and i wonder if it’s real or if it’s because don’t like it.

1 Like

Kicksin or pure martial needs a lot of gear and is not that effective.

Traps gets the job done very easy and even with low gear can clear many places.

1 Like

Yeah, i did a trapsin already, it was one of the most boring experience i had in D2 with the sorc…

I was talking about phoenix strike and dragon claw, don’t know what gear that need

I have not yet tried Martial, but most effective one is with Chaos and Fury WW and that plays like a WW Barb with kicks, yet still not that effective.

Phoenix needs build up and most mobs will take care of you until you kick properly into the necessary finish move. I had no soul to try the build with optimal gear as it took over 30-40 HR worth to get 3/x/x scs, elemental gear and top endgame gear like Coh, Cta and etc.

1 Like

Depends on whether your perspective is based on “efficiency” or just playing the game for entertainment.

I’ve been playing a MA/Clawssassin in Nightmare and it’s actually quite fun. Sure, it’s not “meta”, but I don’t treat the game like it’s some sort of career I need recognition and compensation for, either.

Treachery really helps, FYI. I noticed a pretty definitive increase in DPS after I equipped it, and the build really is a bit gear-dependent.

1 Like

I couldn’t care less about efficiency and meta, i just want it capable of soloing hell.

The only build i could do players 8 normal AND nightmare totally was the summoner druid. Although, everyone say it’s bad.

I don’t care about fastest thing, for now it’s amazingly fun with dual claw and claw of thunder/cobra strike/dragon claw. I use BoS instead of faith for the speed and i’m invincible. Duriel solo players 8 was a cakewalk.

The thing i fear is hell, i don’t know if this character can manage it, that’s why i ask.

It is very capable of doing hell, actually you can have a kicksin doing Uber pretty comfortably.

Mindblast definitely helps confusing monsters to fight by your side, it is pretty fun to play to boot.

Phoenix Strike used to be OP but it’s not that grea now sadly…

1 Like

You thing it would be better tiger strike/cobra strike instead of phoenix strike?

I use everything in shadow tree, i just hesitate with the main attack in martial art tree

MrLamaSc will explain better tan me:

1 Like

I’m specced heavily into PS and CM so far, didn’t bother with the others yet, as I’m using Dragon finishers (DT/DC, etc.) as needed and when it’s warranted.

I tried a TS Kickasin (Tiger Strike, Dragon Claw) originally, and I found the animations constantly interfering with rotation, as I’d have to sit and wait for her to finish out a round of kicks before starting the next target. (similar to a Zealadin, Spearazon/Fend, etc.) It does really nice Single target DPS, but AOE sucks, even with Dragon Tail. The lack of Synergy in the Kicks area really demonstrates itself here, so it sort of forces you to choose one, rather than being able to use them situationally, IMO. (hopefully this gets a look with the upcoming balance patches)

The one I’m using now goes a bit slower, but is much more capable of handling AOE with PS/CB and it’s still got respectable ST/DPS. I just use my Merc a lot more than I’m used to for ST tanking, and also enhance my DPS with Lightning as it’s capable of much greater burst than fire/cold is.

Lack of Synergy in the finishers is where Assassin really needs TLC.

1 Like

I thought about BoS/phoenix strike/cobra strike/dragon claw and all of the shadow tree.

I will try that then cause i really hate trap. Didn’t try the blade armor though, i wonder how it work endgame.

the thing with ALL melee characters, is that they are more gear dependent than elemental classes. so they are a bit harder to make viable in hell, but they are still tons of fun and can get the job done.

1 Like

Phoenix strike is elemental, i don’t know if the gear really help. Could you confirm if the weapon help with the elemental damage of phoenix strike?

If Blizzard is looking to “balance” Assassin’s MA… I’d recommend a few things.

1. Tie Claw Mastery into the Dragon finishers. Give them modest increases for investment into each skill.

2. Tie Weapon Block into Dragon Claw finisher. It’s a no-brainer that the better you are with your Claw weapons, you should also deal more damage as well as blocking more efficiently. So with evey point invested in either/or, it affects the other with a modest increase.

3. Make “kick damage” tied into Boots actually increase with points invested into Dragon finishers, even modest increases would help.

Essentially, decrease the focus into “build ups”, focus more on the application of actual damage instead.

Also have ideas on Traps, but still working it out in my head for ideas. The inclusion of a “shuriken” trap, and less focus on elemental types, etc.

As a side note, I’m still contemplating whether “Masteries” for any class should come at the beginning, or toward the end of each tree. Beginning makes more sense, as when you practice something, you have to start somewhere and improve over time. That would also mean that Sorceress’s “Masteries” would be moved to the beginning, too.

1 Like

yes pheonix strike is a hybrid attack, but it also isn’t super heavy duty on the elements like let’s say, lit java zon, or any sorc. the damage just isn’t the same. and are still relying on some physical damage. overall, you just need high end gear / really good weapons.

1 Like

Martial Arts is a beautiful tree of talents when paired with some Death Sentries!

1 Like

You should check out my topic on this build I made on the Assassin Forum:

Lot of helpful people have responded to my queries on this build and I am having loads of fun with it. Though I do play in multiplayer Battle.net and not offline single player.

1 Like

Assassins martial arts charge up attacks is the worst skill tree inn the game, competing with druids summons :confused: