I wonder if the AVX issue can even be fixed

Wrong.

You cannot launch the game with SDE because it attaches a debugger to do emulation and D2R has anti-debugging which crashes because of that.

Don’t speak about tech you don’t understand.

2 Likes

Uhhh…wut? AVX is a set of instructions to speed up floating point operations. It’s primarily used in video encoding and decoding, but can also be used for compute tasks as well, such as those used for particle effects in games. It has nothing to do with security in games.

5 Likes

Thank you. I was wondering that. I think he is confusing it with the Win 11 requirements.

That was a great chip, I still have an old 4910MQ around somewhere.

1 Like

There are newer CPUs that are released without AVX. Sure, they’re rarer, but they do exist. I got mine a year ago, and it has no AVX support. Mind you at the time I was looking for cheap and worked with the new motherboard I got and wasn’t thinking of things like that, but still.

Thanks for the information.

While you’re handing out edicts to folks on the internet, consider looking in the mirror and telling that guy to be a little less condescending.

2 Likes

Good life lessons from the person spreading misinformation trying to add more fuel to the fire.

1 Like

Well, since the last official post, i’ve made the decision to request a refund.
There’s no point arguing about AVX anymore, since i don’t own the game.
Good luck and thanks for all the fish, Blizzard :wink:

Its really quite pathetic and infantile to request a refund when they literally stated in their post it was an accident and they are fixing it.

1 Like

also buying the game with a cpu that doesn’t meet the minimum requirement then blaming blizzard is kind of odd.

2 Likes

my one big question is how do you have no avx during the beta but decided to include it with launch without proper testing?
“Setups without AVX were working in Beta. In optimizing the game, we inadvertently included the need for AVX for launch.”
you have beta and testing before releasing crap but you guys released it without it then go oh crap we messed up? you have beta’s an QA team’s, THIS IS WHAT THEY ARE FOR! wtf are you guys doing?

1 Like

people complaining about load times probably lead to this. avx would speed up load times for people who can use it and the games store page does show it requires a cpu with avx it’s not unreasonable for a programmer to use it if they didn’t know the game wasn’t meant to have it.

it’s not unreasonable for the QA team to not test computers outside of the minimum requirements for a game so it could easily be missed.

There is one way for those with the problem to fix the AVX issue… Pony up and get a computer with a processor that has AVX support.

The minimum processor requirements for D2:R have been posted for quite a while now… i3-3250/AMD FX-4350, both of which have AVX support.

Trying to run any software with a system that contains ANY required hardware below the specified minimum requirements is bound to encounter some sort of problem. It just irks me that there are some who are putting the blame on Blizzard about this issue.

3 Likes

I think part of the problem is from people who DO have newer CPUs that just don’t support AVX. For instance… someone might buy an Intel CPU that was made in the last few years but is not one of the “i” series. Some of these work quite well despite their budget price and bottom of the barrel status. I actually have one since when my computer died a year ago I had to replace EVERYTHING on a budget and decided that a 4.0 Ghz CPU for like a hundred dollars was a good deal. It runs very well. I can play any of the others games I play generally at max setting with no issues. It just doesn’t have AVX functionality despite being launched in 2020.

But fine, if I can’t play the game until I have the money to upgrade again, then so be it.

4 Likes

which cpu do you have? nvm you said not 1 of the i series i missed that. yeah it requires at least an i3

Pentium Gold G6400. Bargain bin, I know, but like I said my old motherboard died, so I had about 600 Canadian to buy a new motherboard, a new CPU, a new HDD (the one I was using before was dying so I figured eh), and new RAM. It sucked but was needed since the parts I had been using before had been from an earlier chipset, when when I upgraded to a 1200 motherboard I had to well, get everything else. Well, except the video card. Thankfully that still worked and was from the 1080 series, but I digress.

It actually works surprisingly well. Better than I thought it would have when I bought it. I originally picked it up just to get a working PC again, and meant to replace it after I had saved up enough, but despite it’s pedigree it holds up. I just didn’t know AVX would be an important thing at the time. Like I said, my first thought was “oh, this is like 100 dollars and it has a high base clock speed. Okay, let’s give it a go”.

yeah it’s not a bad cpu in general.

1 Like

Hehe, no, like I said it actually just runs things pretty well. Just not this game. Well okay, it did in BETA, but just not right now. :slight_smile:

They said they’re looking for a fix, but I guess worst case scenario is that I just hold on to the game and not play until I can upgrade.

Edit: My point was more that this isn’t just an issue hitting those with old hardware. It’s also an issue for those of us who bought the wrong kind of modern CPU too.

1 Like

Yeah it is disappointing that modern hardware doesn’t have a 10 year old feature. And i absolutely get being frustrated or upset about it.

I just don’t get the hate on blizzard, the processor is technically below the min requirements which means it wasn’t validated to work with the game by them.

It is really nice they are attempting to patch it to make it work though but i am not sad they aren’t adding in the fix until they know it wont affect people with hardware that meets the requirements.

1 Like

Because they never said AVX was required. Did you read the latest dev post? It’s still up word for word. He double spoke like a mobster not trying to incriminate himself. “While CPUs without AVX are below our minimum spec” He then immediately follows it up with "we inadvertently included the need for AVX for launch"

Now open your dictionary and tell me what inadvertently means, i’ll wait. Now show me on any official d2r information where it says AVX support required before said posting. I’ll wait. What’s next. "Maybe it is maybe it isn’t. Possibly, maybe, but no, or maybe it is. Who knows? Badabing badaboom. Pow. I swear your honor It didn’t not require AVX to launch. Maybe it did."

Blizzard F’ed up.

8 Likes