I wonder if the AVX issue can even be fixed

Yup, bought an i7 920 in December 2009. I’ve pushed everything around it to the limit, and it will still run things like Doom Eternal. The load times are a bit lengthy, but I find it tolerable.

This AVX issue is pretty unacceptable.

2 Likes

Frankly, i don’t presume that Blizzard’s decision was rational or evidence-based …
In companies, a lot of decisions are made by the sales people, not the techies, despite common sense …

But it’s only speculating. To really know, one would need to see the hardware specs database that Blizzard keeps for each player (as ALL of Blizzard’s recent games are 100% online, they DO have it !), and to confirm that the non-AVX PCs represent a large or a small percentage of players, to make the decision to enable AVX, considering the non-AVX population as an “acceptable loss” or as a “necessary sacrifice”, if they do represent 5 or 10% of the player base, for an example. That would be a rational way to tackle the dilemn.

I won’t speculate on that, I don’t have that kind of data =)

PS : don’t also forget that Blizzard is in an internal turmoil, and that there’s a lot of turnover within the company. Diablo 2R is not an internal project, it’s developped by a third-party (Vicarious Visions) for easy cash. Not a lot of Blizzard’s techies are involved in this project, mostly “digital project managers” and marketers …

1 Like

I feel like this AVX issue is literally a bunch of 50+ year olds with ancient potatoes upset that they can’t play.

Buy a new processor folks…join us in 2021.

I choose not to mindlessly consoom

3 Likes

Well sure, most likely was a decision on sales people to “lock” stuff up. I mean, AVX isn’t that “new” tech anyways, is a decade old tech(from 2011) on products based on 2008 proposal.

While was stated by miss cheetah, they plan to remove it. So the lock thing would be temporary.

If you consider that gpu requirement are from 2012 and cpu were from 2013, was a fair assumption of them that would have any issues about it.

First supported by Intel with the Sandy Bridge processor shipping in Q1 2011 and later on by AMD with the Bulldozer processor shipping in Q3 2011

That would mean almost any cpu from intel from 2nd gen(core i) and any fx or later arch from AMD.

Well theirs we don’t know, but If we pick Steam Survey from august 2021 and go “other details”

You get about this:
AVX - 94.70%
AVX2 - 84.09%
AVX512F - 2.89%
AVX512VNNI - 2.81%
AVX512ER - 0.00%
AVX512PF - 0.00%

That shows that only 5.30% of all hardware used in there was actually unable to use any kind of AVX. Is a really small percentile tbh.

1 Like

Update on AVX

2 Likes

It’s going to be a couple more days before the fix drops. New sticky at the top.

Requesting refund. I’ll go back to playing Doom Eternal. Since my ancient CPU can’t run Diablo 2. And it’ll be a couple weeks at this point - after I’ve been accused of being below minimum specs after retail release.

8 Likes

They’re having a problem because it’s not a straight AVX requirement. Intel has an instruction set emulation software, and even it cannot be used to launch the game:

It really is kind of funny that my PC can run Rainbow Six Siege, Arkham Knight, Doom, and CSGO no problem, but I can’t run D2R lol.

7 Likes

Wrong.

You cannot launch the game with SDE because it attaches a debugger to do emulation and D2R has anti-debugging which crashes because of that.

Don’t speak about tech you don’t understand.

2 Likes

Uhhh…wut? AVX is a set of instructions to speed up floating point operations. It’s primarily used in video encoding and decoding, but can also be used for compute tasks as well, such as those used for particle effects in games. It has nothing to do with security in games.

5 Likes

Thank you. I was wondering that. I think he is confusing it with the Win 11 requirements.

That was a great chip, I still have an old 4910MQ around somewhere.

1 Like

There are newer CPUs that are released without AVX. Sure, they’re rarer, but they do exist. I got mine a year ago, and it has no AVX support. Mind you at the time I was looking for cheap and worked with the new motherboard I got and wasn’t thinking of things like that, but still.

Thanks for the information.

While you’re handing out edicts to folks on the internet, consider looking in the mirror and telling that guy to be a little less condescending.

2 Likes

Good life lessons from the person spreading misinformation trying to add more fuel to the fire.

1 Like

Well, since the last official post, i’ve made the decision to request a refund.
There’s no point arguing about AVX anymore, since i don’t own the game.
Good luck and thanks for all the fish, Blizzard :wink:

Its really quite pathetic and infantile to request a refund when they literally stated in their post it was an accident and they are fixing it.

1 Like

also buying the game with a cpu that doesn’t meet the minimum requirement then blaming blizzard is kind of odd.

2 Likes