Hydra nerfed too much

Think this would be a good solution. This would free up some points without changing too much

1 Like

I would like to see the change below as it offers more room for hybrid builds…

Hydra

• Fire Bolt synergy increased from +3% to +8%
  • Fire Ball synergy removed
6 Likes

Traps also hit light immune creatures… you asking for too much lol. If your hydras hit fire immune mobs then simply reposition your hydras damn

LS+ DS at least pierce. Hydras don’t.

2 Likes

As ARTPOP said lightning traps pierce hydras dont + death sentry does CE wich makes traps alot more effective than hydras.

2 Likes

I think they should grant the hydras a proximity damage buff. If a hydra is close to another hydra, both will receive a damage bonus. This buff would multiply between up to 6 hydras. The damage falls off the further the two hydras are apart and drops off completely once they’re too far apart.

As far as damage bonus, maybe up to 5% additive damage per nearby hydra, or up to 25% extra damage per hydra with a stack of 6 hydras.
As far as proximity, drops off 1% per yard.

This would allow two on-the-fly play styles with hydra…
1: Higher damage, lower area coverage for hard targets like bosses.
2: Lower damage, high coverage for clearing large areas. Or a mix of the two.

The damage is only part of the problem. As it is now there is too many synergies compared to its viability as a stand alone main skill. It has no AoE no pierce and when facing immunes it has no smart target meaning it will just fire at whatever monster is the closest whether they are immune or not. This means u would have to use another skill to deal with the immunes before the hydras can hit targets that they can actually kill. As it is now u are left with too few points to do an effective hybrid build since removing points from just one of its synergies will leave u with very ineffective hydras. This means u are better off using something like firewall or fireball. Fireball outclasses hydras anyway with better clear even without one of its synergies so u will be left with more points to put in something else. Think the best solution would be remove fireball synergy and bump up firebolt synergy to 6-8% then it might be a viable alternative to some of the other options and maybe add some pierce or at least some smart targeting so they dont focus their fire on immunes

3 Likes

That would… actually work well! Now you can go orb/fireball or orb/hydra or hydra/nova… etc. Would open up build diversity.

1 Like

exactly :slight_smile: i would be happy with this. Still i would wish they would stop focusing fire immunes when there are other targets with no immunity

What are you guys talking about? The hydra builds are perfectly fine and powerful enough…

Option #1 - Full Fire Route:

20pt firebolt
20pt fireball
20pt meteor
20pt hydra
20pt fire mastery

Option #2 - Fire-Ice Hybrid Build:

20pt icebolt
20pt frozen orb
1pt cold mastery
20pt fireball
20pt hydra
20pt fire mastery

You lose 60% damage on the hydras with the second build, that’s nothing. On the first build you have 40k meterors with 20k fireballs and then six hydras shooting three firebolts dealing 1k each. On the second build you have a fully synergised Frozen Orb… If hydra is too weak, just go for firewall instead :+1:

Blizzard, the meta characters don’t need more power-creep, patch 2.4 was designed to make lesser used characters and skills more usable. What’s the point if you are just buffing sorceress and keeping her as the dominant class that everyone needs to start ladder with to be efficient? Hydra as new best ladder start build? No thanks :+1:

from the looks off it u are in a minority on this post. Loosing 60% damage on a skill that is already suffering a bit compared to other option like fireball is huge. If they dont change this u might as well skip the hydras and go with fireball since its a skill that already has better clear even when missing a synergy. Besides buffing a skill that even then willl be slower than ur standard Blizz sorc or hammerdin or javazon is not really a power-creep but an improvement. Ur option #1 will only be able to be used in specific areas since fire immunity is the most common in hell difficulty. Ur option #2 will be weak compared to all the other options on the sorc and u will be better of just using fireball and skip the hydras.By the time u get ur 1k hydras placed u would have killed 2-3 packs using fireball alone besides 1k hydras take forever to kill anything

5 Likes

I completely agree. I hope Blizzard removes one of the synergies to Hydra and buffs the damage to compensate. At least it will be used a lot in hybrid builds then.

4 Likes

Yup and it would be an easy fix.

1 Like

Remove Fireball synergy and increase the Firebolt to 7% would be a good way to help hybrid mage builds.
Also i would love an extra 1% bonus in Frozen Orb synergy. (I hate blizzard).

4 Likes

as everything should be.

No new skills should ever reach Blizzard levels of damage.

I wouldn’t hate seing hydra a 60 point build isntead of 80 though. Removing the fireball synergy, so that hydra build is not a fireball build unless you want it (i hate fireball btw, the most boring skill in the game)

Lightning traps also Pierce which means they will hit their targets.

2 Likes

Well thats ur opinion and from the looks of it u are in the minority. Besides i never said it should be faster than blizz but in the current state its just not worth it. This patch is all about balance and improving underused skills.

1 Like

as a wise person posted here: You think you do, but you don't

But in this case i do and so does alot of others . Anyway im not feeding the troll so further post will be ignored

do you label “trolls” everyone who disagrees with you?