HOW TO: Multiple D2R Instances (requires two accounts)

Hey thank you for this guide.

i was wondering if its possible to run 3 instances with this method?

Thanks for this. Now when everyone is typing about having separate accounts, are you saying full on BNet accounts, or just more D2 accounts, under the same BNet account?

I used to multibox with WoW, under my one Bnet account, I have multiple paid for WoW accounts… just curious if this is how this works as well, or on any second instance of D2, I would need to be logging in with another Bnet account (with obviously another paid for D2).

when i try to close the handle it says “Error opening process: The handle is invalid” can you help?

1 Like

Not at desk, but are you running Process Explorer as an administrator?

same question for me. Do we need 2 bnet accounts or can we buy another D2R on our usual bnet account??

going to buy another d2r soon,

will buy up to 5 more if blizz make this allowed from 1 bnet acc and add -skiptobnet and legacy graphics on startup option :slight_smile:

Is it possible to run two instances simultaneously through two local Windows accounts?
Do Windows account share same process tree?

Can I use the third account?

So I did everything you said there - ran process explorer as admin - found the session/checkforinsteances and closed handle but it didn’t work. When I launch 2nd battle net app it says “Now playing” and wont let me launch. Any ideas? thanks

You need to create 2 short cuts of D2R launcher(normal D2R game folder & D2R game folder for the 2.account)).
Keep in mind, you need to set for both accounts different install location(under battlenet → options → game settings->install location).

The process is very simple:

1. Start first D2R launcher shortcut-> log in-> play button
  2. Open Porecess explorer & search under “D2R.exe” → \Sessions\2\BaseNamedObjects\DiabloII Check For Other Instances
    → Click close handle
  3. Start 2. D2R launcher shortcut → log in → play button
  4. Now both games are online & you can create a game to join or quick join under friends option.

Note: Sometimes, if your 2 account join the 1 account, your game can crash & only 1 account is online(probably causes from low 16 Gb memory).
But it works, I close all programs with high memory usage like chrome etc.
Just restart and try again, if 1 account crash & exit.

Just use sandboxie, it’s easier.

How?

I can’t seem to get it to work. :joy:

I have published the source code for an application on GitHub that makes launching the launcher much easier. The source code only needs to be downloaded and compiled with free version of Visual Studio. Handle64.exe have to be downloaded and coppied to executing path of application.

Links:

-github.com/mendite/D2RStart
-visualstudio.microsoft.com
-learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/handle

This is sad that we even have to do this. To use process explorer to kill check for other instances of diablo when they allow multiple instances.
They just need to remove it which wouldn’t be to hard to do but apparently who ever forgot to show Jimbo where the reset button was also forgot to relay the message about removing the code for it to check for other instances.
Go figure…

go into your task manager (just regular task manager) and delete the battle net update agent, you will be able to press play after 5-10 seconds.

unfortunately this doesnt work, i cannot set different install locations, if i change the install location on one account, it changes on all of them, unless you mean i have to change the directory everytime i try to launch 2 copies of the game?

hmmm, I set my both D2R games with different install location in battlenet settings & it works.
just make sure you start both games from 2 different shortcuts.

Good god this thread has been necro’d so many times lol.

Ok it works, but the problem is, id like to launch the other clients in windowed mode, on lowest settings and with -ns command, but if i do it on one client, the settings change on all of the clients
For example:

I launch my first acc, then login to second acc, change settings, launch, now when i restart first game, it gets settings from the second game, and i dont want that, cause one char is a mule and doesnt need graphics or sound, but the main acc i want to play like i used to, and i dont want to change all the settings everytime i start the game, any idea how to deal with it?

/e i actually managed to do it, u just need multiple windows users, now i dont even have to relog everytime, its great

How to be super lame 101

1 Like