Hell "Immune to Cold, Fire, etc.." Enemies

If the entire game was clearable with only using one type of element it would get really boring, really fast. Why do you think people say the hammerdin is the most boring build to play? Because there are very few magic immunes in the game. In fact, a hammerdin can clear the entire game and will only need to switch to holy bolt for a couple key enemies. If every build were like the hammerdin you could just stand there and spam your ability and clear everything effortlessly.

How boring is that?

Wel…lets just make hammerdins and…problem solved! right?

Stop pumping all your points into blizzard

Dual spec is viable

Simply nerf it’s values…

Pretty sure cold sorc lovers would prefer to damage everything at the little cost of cold mastery nerf

I’d rather have cold mastery work 100% of the time at 50% of its effect than 50% of the time at 100% effect

No they would not, they would still be affected by the 1/5th penalty… what are you talking about

If you have resists capped at let’s say 99, monsters still can have 140 resist to something

I just can’t believe somebody could spew such a intelligence lacklustre argument and on top of that have 3 people like it lol

All you low level angry purist counter argument have all already been solved with countless post people with a brain have suggested against immunity in the last year

Immunity is a cancer to Diablo 2

1 Like

It is bandaid fix for difficulty. Poorly planned out but purists will tell you to get that merc or that one item. Which is really stupid game design imo.

I think every class that has elemental abilities should have a skill that reduces and breaks monster immunity once it is fully upgraded. Or more items than just a handful that has it as a stat or whatever.

Well, there are different ways to deal with Immunities.

One is the option you point out, to break the Immunities. This is what Conviction does, and what Lower Resist does.

Another option is to have multiple damage types. For example, that’s what the Fire Druid has with both Physical and Fire damage.

Another option is to be more flexible in your build and have multiple elements. For example, a Hyrda/Orb sorceress.

That said I think there are a few places things could be improved.

First, I think they ought to allow Cold Mastery to pierce Immunes, that was obviously intended since there are several Cold Immunities that still wouldn’t break even with level 40 Cold Mastery. Just remove the Glacial Spike synergy from Blizzard. There, now Blizzard Sorceresses do 25% less damage, but they get to pierce Cold Immunities and so are a lot less limited in where they can farm. Maybe a very slight increase of the other Blizzard synergies to compensate (test in a PTR).

Second, they should change some synergies around so that multi-element builds are more viable. Specifically, instead of Frost Nova having two synergies it should have only one synergy: Shiver Armor. That way, you could build a Nova/Frost Nova hybrid. Frost Nova would have lower damage than Nova, but it would be a viable two-element build.

Another tactic along those lines, reduce Hydra’s synergies to just one synergy instead of two. That would allow Hydra to be combined with another element.

Another way to approach Fire Immunities for the Fire Sorceress would be to follow the Druid example, and make Meteor deal Physical as well as Fire Damage.

Or you could give Inferno/Artic Blast an ability to pierce Immunities.

The last idea has the advantage of items with Inferno/Arctic Blast available as O-Skills.

I don’t mind there being Immunities, but I do wish there were more options on how to handle them besides “get an Infinity.”

1 Like

How bout all you people that want all these changes go play PoE or Diablo 3. Leave diablo 2 alone. It’s like people complaining about ff11 or classic wow. Go play ff14 or current wow. There are other games out there that do the thing you want, go play them.

Diablo 2 is diablo 2, just like Dark Souls is Dark Souls and not Zelda.

Go. Play. Something. ELSE.

3 Likes

What’s gives you the right to decide what people should play or not and what they should want in a game or not?

It isn’t my right, but that’s the thing, this game was made the way it was made and loved by many. There are other games out there that literally do these things that people want changes for.

What gives YOU the right to try and change my game just because you don’t like it the way it is instead of playing another game that has those things. Better yet, go start a company and make a game you want to play.

Everyone has an opinion to how they want things, but guess what, the game is developed and is already how it is. What gives you guys the right to change every little thing just because it hurts your wittle feelings.

Boo, I don’t like immunities, boo, change it please, boo. Go play pokemon like the other children.

2 Likes

Uhhh the game was not even created with immunities lol

It only became a thing with 1.10, the Diablo 3 2004 PTR patch

Throughout its supported history the game constantly changed and improved… so if you claim the game was designed a certain way… they way is “Improving”

Hybrid orb sorc with fire. It can clear the entire game

Constant improvement is one thing, the problem is people looking to backtrack on good changes. How long ago was 1.10? Exactly. That was back when the game was undergoing natural change and evolution into the masterpiece that we grew to know 2 decades later and are playing today.

That’s like comparing Classic wow raid releases and changes to going straight to Shadowlands. The game evolved overtime, and for a while was good…but then they over evolved wow into the mess it is today. Diablo 2 will do the same if radical changes start happening to the game.

The 1.10 comparison to current changes is not valid.

Diablo 3 needs more Torment difficulties too… And higher than 150 GR!!

If you’re going to quote me, then do it right the first time.

Let’s take for a moment and adopt what you’re proposing and make every monster in the game not-immune(including those that are naturally Physical/Magic Immune). Then what do you do for Sorceress Cold Mastery, Necromancer’s Lower Resist Curse and especially Paladin’s Conviction aura that would all be working at 100% Efficiency? Ditto Curses?

In other words, if all monsters are set to 99 Resistance instead of 100+, by definition, Lower Resist/Conviction aura work at 100%, not 1/5th. Obviously Unique Monsters that roll FCL Enchanted or Magic Resistant would still be immune under that scenario, hence the 1/5th penalty would apply but my point on <100 Resistance is completely valid. Furthermore, setting Resistance to 99 means that monsters won’t natively be above 100 on anything so where you got monsters being at 140 makes absolutely no sense whatsoever if your argument in the first place is to remove immunity on trash.

In addition, if you set Resistance to 95-99 or w/e number you deem fit, obviously Cold Mastery would have to be majorly adjusted or changed along with Conviction/Lower Resist. I should point out though that all this talk about changing it is rather futile because Blizzard is on the record stating it’s not going to happen.

No… you simply don’t understand the simple difference between total resistance and capped resistance

Alike players monsters could be capped at 95 but still have 150 resistance, therefor having the -resist penalty apply

https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo2/comments/az6lqk/immunities_stacking_conviction_and_lower_resist/

That’s why breaking a immunity with conviction then using Lr still have the penalty on both

Therefor the penalty is applied on the total resistance not the effective one

So even with a 99 cap and 140 total, the effective 99 is irrelevant to the penalty, it’s the 140 total that counts

So tldr, if you are going to talk about mechanics… do it right

D3 was very hard at launch and then everyone complained. its like people want the idea of a hard game but dont want to actually struggle. no different than those crying about immunities - which are working EXACTLY as intended

and how does removing immunities “improve” anything? just because YOU dont like them doesnt mean they are making the game worse. you and every other child that wants the game easier never defends how it makes the game “better” just how it makes it “easier”

Orb/Hydra sorc with an act 5 frenzy merc rocking full sazabi’s and a plague sword wrecks in hell difficulty.

Perhaps you should roll hammerdin because you are obviously not good with a sorc.

I don’t think everyone complained. I think a small group of loud people complained and got their way. I hope D4 does not do the same rush style Dynasty Warriors combat that D3 did. So boring.

This is why I am glad I stuck with my Fireball/Blizz Sorc. I can farm anything in hell and only run into a couple main things that are immune to both fire/cold so then I use static and then let my merc destroy them. ie. The Countess. He kills her in like 2 or so shots.