Graphic Crash with Shivering Armor due to VFX Lighting

Tldr: Using the Fortitude armor on my merc, when the Shivering Armor projectile effect gets triggered too many times in a short span of time, it crashes the game entirely while inducing visual artifacts when VFX Lighting is set on Ultra.

Example:
During the Baal waves, the second wave of skellies doing their charged bolts seems to systematically over trigger the Shivering Armor effect. It results in shooting several ice projectiles all around the merc, each one projectile with its own visual lighting effect (which looks great btw).
Unfortunately, this results in crashing the GFX driver (running RTX 2080 Ti with an i9). This only occurs when the VFX Lighting effect setting is on “Ultra”, when downgraded to “High”, the only artifacts remaining is a sudden drop in brightness as the game seems to try adjusting to the over-brightness from all the VFX being triggered from Shivering Armor. Teleporting to town and back readjusts the over lighting and the game remains playable.

I upgraded from Windows 10 to 11, same issue, updated all the drivers I could, same issue. I also found other threads on this forum referring to the visual blocky artifacts that occur shortly before the game crashes for me, but nobody else seems to have been able to isolate the root cause (being the VFX lighting). I encourage anyone else experiencing this issue to try lowering the VFX Lighting option in the Video tab, this should resolve it.

Hope that this helps to resolve the issue.

1 Like

Fortitude armor + VFX Ultra !!
100%CTD on the 2nd wave.
rtx 3080

Sorry to hear that, but yeah, I’m guessing they have a backlog of bugs longer than we can imagine.