Gargoyle's Bite

Was thinking of how to improve poison jav and saw this unique already in game that functionally has no use. It would be really cool if the developers updated it in the next season to improve quality of life.

Gargoyle’s Bite

• +2-4 Javelin and Spear skills.
  • +1-3 poison javelin.
  • +1-3 plague javelin.
  • -20 to 35% poison resistance.
  • Replenishes quantity.
  • 180-230% enhanced damage.
  • Amazon only.

I want it to have a lot of variable stats so it is a chase items for poison jav amazons throughout a season to find a better or near perfect roll. The biggest thing is removing reliance on grief or deaths web swapping. I do not think weapon swapping should be required to play this build. I also think repurposing a terrible unique item into something that drastically improves quality of life for poison jav would make the build so much more fun to play. Let me know what you think and if it needs tweaking to be more balanced.

1 Like

Below is what we proposed for Gargoyle’s Bite. I like your idea for also adding a bonus to poison javelin as a chase item. If you could, please post your idea in thread below so we can discuss and add it to the list of community ideas for improving uniques.

Gargoyle’s Bite
Winged Harpoon
Throw Damage: (30-36) To (215-254)
One-Hand Damage: (75-89) To (98-115)
Required Level: 70
Required Strength: 76
Required Dexterity: 145
+180-230% Enhanced Damage
+293 Poison Damage Over 10 Seconds
Level 11 Plague Javelin (60 charges)
9-15% Life Stolen Per Hit
Replenishes Quantity [1 in 3 sec.]

• Proposed Buffs:
    • Add +6 To Plague Javelin (Amazon Only)
    • Add -15% To Enemy Poison Resist
    • Remove Level 11 Plague Javelin (60 charges)
    • Change Poison Damage from +293 Over 10 Seconds to +300 Over 3 Seconds
1 Like

Your idea would remove one of the best throw barb weapons in the game. Charles’ idea improves both character classes.

1 Like

How’s gargoyle’s bite one of the best throw barb weapons in the game? Throw barbs use eth lacerator + warshrike.

I bet I can solo clear Chaos faster with 2 Gargoyle’s than you can with Lacerator and Warshrike in an 8 player game.

Lol
Lmao even

Gargoyle’s bite doesn’t have amplify damage on striking or insane deadly strike. I know forum warriors clear CS in 15 minutes and like to think that’s fast, but I played throw barb when they buffed it and tried out all setups, nothing comes close to eth lacerator + warshrike. I think you don’t know how broken amplify damage is.

I easily solo clear Chaos in under 8 minutes in an 8 player game, Nihl in 45 seconds from wp and Throne/Baal in under 5 minutes with Gargoyle’s. And that’s without eth Gargoyle’s!

2 Gargoyle’s without double damage from amp, DS and CS have more damage than 2 Warshrike with double damage. 2 Gargoyle’s + Atmas has more damage than 2 Lacerators, and Gargoyle’s doesn’t make monsters flee. If you’re going to argue Atma’s only has 2% chance to proc, don’t bother, with 160% IAS and 80% chance to Pierce, Atma’s lights up every monster pack like a Christmas tree.

Feel free to use my personally developed 15 year old throw barb meta.
You’re welcome, Noob

I was top 2 throw barb two seasons ago, so I think name calling is really out of place.

Also, flat damage on weapon is not that important because you can make that up with max dmg charms and other sources, so stuff like deadly strike and constant amplify damage is much more valuable. By the way, you’re way over the ias breakpoint, you could drop some and still attack as fast. And 2% proc chance is really horrible, not even bowzon procs amplify reliably with atma’s scarab (which hits enemies much more often).

Feel free to post a video of yourself clearing p8 CS though. I cannot take someone who doesn’t know how breakpoints work seriously.

Yet it’s okay for you to call me a “forum warrior” while making the assumption I can only do Chaos in 15 minutes with my build after I challenged you for criticized me for saying Gargoyle’s is “one of the best throw barb weapons in the game”. BTW, how many throw barb players were you ‘competing’ with during that season?

There is no such thing as ‘flat damage’, there is min, max and average damage. All three are very important. For example, pro wolf druids make eBotD in an Ogre maul instead of a TM because they want the higher min damage, where as ww barbs use TM for the higher average damage and max damage. DS, CS, amp and charms are always valuable - they buff physical damage. I’m not slowed down with 80% double damage compared to your 100% and 5% chance lvl 2 amp damage works awesome with Gargoyle’s and Demon’s Arch. I do use Lacerator to quickly amp bosses then switch to spears.

I can’t drop any, it’s what the gear has.

What you’re saying implies you’ve never used Atma’s on a throw barb. It’s rare for a throw barb to not proc the amulet’s 5%. Why didn’t you correct me? Also, Multiple Shot and Strafe do not attack the same way as Double Throw.

I have to prove myself, but you don’t have to prove yourself?

Prior to D2R’s moronic change to ww, knowing break points was as important as a driver knowing the rubber composition of his tires. it’s never been important to me. I developed my skill with what I had.

1 Like

Because 5% is still pathetically low. I am judging it from experience, not from the actual value. I know how rarely it procs on bowzon and it cannot be better on a throw barb because throw barb hits enemies less often than bowzon. It’s that simple, it’s not my fault you cannot extrapolate simple knowledge.

I will, as soon as I find out a p8 party in non-ladder, because this is a ghost town. No, I don’t play single player because I think it’s meaningless.

As for the video, that’s p7 and it’s still excruciatingly slow. As I expected, the proc chance on amplify damage is abysmal. How can you hit a champion 10 times, not proc amplify damage and think that’s ok? Amplify damage is double damage on top of everything, if you don’t have it active as much as possible then it’s a waste. I give you that lacerator has monster flee that overlaps amplify damage, but even then you have amplify damage active much more often than with atma.

This is common terminology in arpgs that refer to damage that’s not percentage based (which encompasses min, max and average damage). Maybe it’s not that common in diablo 2 (as it is in path of exile for example), but it’s not that hard to realize what I meant.

Imagine arguing about a spec that is total trash with both warshrike+lacerator, gargoyles and demon arch😂

1 Like

Honestly, I just want a -poison res javelin for amazon. Having to weapon swap is boosted and with no sockets on javelins to create a plague or grief jav it just really sucks. Personally I think they should simply fix throwing weapons for barbarian rather than nerfing the possibilities of both specs by trying to make it work for barbs and amazons.