AVX Issues / Game Launches, then Crashes on Older Processors (CPU)

deltafaya finally i found someone with the same exact issue, I think. I hit Play, screen goes black for a second, then back to battlenet screen and an error pops up “application encountered an unexpected error” I have an i5-1035g so im good with AVX, rebooted, ran as admin, updated windows, updated drivers, have never gotten further than the Play then crash. You have any luck?

Same problem here “Play” → “Launching” → “Playing now” → back to “Play”
D3 launch day was a disaster ! Can´t believe this is happening again…

6 Likes

Well, the latest official posts are about finding the cause, hotfixes are already being worked on, but it still won’t work if your system doesn’t meet the “system requirements”

True it took a while for CD Projekt to roll out an update but there was a fix on day one for the AVX issue. We only needed to change a single byte in the exe and the game worked.

I hope this won’t be a similar situation and the official patch will come sooner…

I think we all understand it. Just state what issue you’re having and provide some technical info from your computer (we’re past this point already). This is what helps the devs with fixing it sooner. No need to call the game garbage and rush with refunds. It’s going to be a great game that’s having a few issues on day 1 just like with all their other games. The devs and others involved in the game release are regular people like all of us here that’s probably affected by various nonsense like staff shortage, blizz lawsuits, etc, and doing their best.

2 Likes

Hey there everybody,

Up front, we don’t have an ETA yet. I’m Just checking in since it seems like there’s some unproductive arguments going on between people on this board. As somebody whose first Blizzard game was Diablo 2, I entirely understand that a lot of us were extremely hyped about this launch and some of these issues took some of the wind out of your sails. It’s reasonable to be disappointed. I know I would be if I was in your shoes.

As such, I don’t mind if players are venting in this thread as long as it follows the forum code of conduct. That does mean, however, that I don’t want you all turning on each other here. Please note that if I keep seeing insults and unproductive arguments in here between players I’m going to have to issue silences to keep the thread productive/on topic.

Keep in mind that while you discuss this problem, you may be able to get help from other players if you post your system specs. There are a bunch of super helpful posters in this thread who have been helping players identify if their CPU is suffering from the issue we identified (lack of AVX support.) This was never intended to be a restriction for the game client, and was mistakenly enabled in the launch build, and we have to fix some things to get it reversed.

Keep in mind that if you’re still not satisfied by the resolution, you’re welcome to request a refund. I can’t guarantee this as your eligibility will be based on playtime, etc, but it can be done from this link.

Quoting myself for the most recent update on this issue.

19 Likes

So i have installed D2R on my laptop , Play button works perfectly there , although the laptop doesnt meet the requirements.The main thing is it actually works on low spec laptop but not on my main pc…strange.

2 Likes

Im pretty sure my newer laptop is good to go, but thanks for your input. I cant even tell if the servers are even up right now. Blue posts seem to point towards no, seems other people are playing. I think part of the frustration many are feeling is the very poor communication we get from Blizzard, and based on the Billion dollar company, having more staff to move this along is a no brainer.

I’m relieved its being worked on. I’ll enjoy it then.

Your company behaves like a damned indie studio for titles that have been released two decades ago. The lack of competence is astounding. Not your fault personally, I know, but the people programming and implementing the game and its servers.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the update.

Quick question:
I bought 1 version on PC

I decided due to the launching problem, I could also purchase a copy on my PS5.
If i buy a copy on my PS5, can I use that same version to be my 2nd account on PC (ideally having multi?)
Or would I need to buy a 3rd copy in order to have 2 on PC and 1 on PS5 playable?

Also - FML 7.5 hrs wasted, almost worse than the 8hr Jay Wilson experience.

1 Like

Debating on firing up a VPS and trying game on that for a while.

amazing, hope they patch it soon :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you Odhinn for confirming that. Did I miss them annoucing they already had a patch? Any idea what that would not be listed in Patch Notes on the Battlenet page?

Pretty sure that this is primarily surrounding AVX requirements for the CPU and just about nothing else around “minimum requirements”. Once they have that update no doubt it’ll fix the problem for 90%+ here. I have a newer CPU than the minimum, but Intel decided it didn’t need AVX so that’s what’s hitting me at least. (I have a G4620 processor).

2 Likes

Oh, thank you for clearing that out! I’ll be patient now :smiley:

G4560 here – I think it’ll work. Pretty sure people in this thread had success in the beta with these g-series pentiums, and I’m hoping it’s no different after the patch. Fingers crossed

2 Likes

Yes Pentium G4560/G4600/G4620 ran the game very well during the Beta

3 Likes

You are doing a great job.