Fixes for the over powered runeword spirit

Rng isn’t nerfing, it’s just annoying. Propose actual nerfs or don’t touch it. Reduce it to +1 skill, none of this 1 or 2 varies stuff. If the item can roll perfect people will roll for it, all you’ve done is just add an annoying obstacle in front without reducing the power level.

3 Likes

Spirit could use a buff if anything. In addition to +2 to all skills, why not have a random +1 skill tab added? It would still not be as good as hoto except for bo barb. Maybe give it a Ladder only perk :wink:

Not every item needs to be unnobtainably expensive.

It also already has it’s most important stat tied to RNG. The FCR has range, the STR cost is high. Sure some classes hit a BP where a perf roll isn’t necessary, but with the variance being that high while it is BiS I don’t think it is anywhere near the most OP of runewords, though it is up there.

Fcr and fhr should be switched on spirit, fight me!

Fix for OP Spirit sword

New rw “Spectre”
Ral Thul Ort Amn
lvl req 25
Swords

+2 to all sks
+25-35 ias
+40 frw
Damage +75-95
+35–80 fire damage
+30-50 Cold Damage
+1-120 Lightning Damage
+3 (3-297) damage per lvl
Ignores target defence
7-12 life leech
5 mana leech

This is the same BS item like SPIRIT :smiley:

“Grief” changed from swords to all weapons

Grief is swords or axes only. My favorite base is a sup war axe. One thing that really needs addressed is certain runewords can be made in mace class items but not all mace class items! A war scepter is a mace class item for instance, let us make hoto in it!

I really like that you only need one 5FHR small charm to hit the next BP on sorc with it. But also I agree lol. Easy to fill up your FHR, there is no FCR charm to help out.

In what deranged world, in your tiny mind, does it make the game less playable if players are actually able to progress into the endgame bis gear more smoothly?

Spirit was designed with Ladder in mind.

That explains why it’s powerful.

D2 no longer has the longterm vision of its original designers so a lot of the stuff in-game is lost in translation in a sense.

Spirit makes absolutely no sense if you remove Ladder

2 Likes

It’s not overpowered. People please stop discussing this topic about Spirit runeword being overpowered because it’s not. Sure it has some strong abilities such as 55% fhr, 35% fcr, +22 vitality (not buffable with life%), and +2 to all skills. But that doesn’t make it overpowered. Even make Hyperion 4os and I still wouldn’t say it’s overpowered. At least balance the game where other classes can compete with the Paladin where they can wear a 45 all resist Sacred Targe Spirit that gives them the upper hand over the other classes. It’s too late to go back on this so please no more about this.

Yea because the entire loot pool should be devalued so the early-mid game is just a breeze. This game is better when people make choices, not obvious ones.

Spirit is better than just about every single item early. So is insight. If you nerfed spirit to just 2 skills 25-35 fcr on the weapon, it would be better than just about every early caster weapon. You can forget about finding unique polearm runewords, etc. Same with caster weapons. Shields too are often beaten out by the spirit runeword shield. Far too cheap to make, available too early, and are competitive with end game gear if not superior.

2 Likes

1 or 2 is a joke. 50%
Just do it again lol

+1 period

Still better than all uniques like lidless etc

spirit problem is about gear progression and not endgame
its too cheep to invalidates 90% of the gear for a caster
another option is to buff uniques and sets than a nerf to spirit but, i know “power creep” and yada yada yada
what is harder to get should be better

3 Likes

Name one unique that’s worth finding that can fill the same role for a caster as Spirit. They don’t exist, Spirit lets all caster builds scale into late game, it provides a great weapon swap for buffing on any build, and it’s replaced by the fairly expensive hoto. On top of that, Spirit comes with a very finnicky FCR value that’s well worth dumping runes into rerolling to hit breakpoints, and it’s feasible to reroll a Spirit multiple times and burn up those low runes while giving a purpose to those runes existing at all.

Spirit is exactly what a mid tier runeword should be, and people who think everything that doesn’t involve high runes should be dogwater awful are plainly unintelligent and their opinions don’t matter.

1 Like

Isn’t that the POINT? The runeword is ridiculously overpowered compared to options at its level and its rarity. You don’t have to consider anything else because its blatantly overpowered.

Nobody is saying spirit should be absolute garbage. Just that it literally makes any wand you might find as a necro, any orb you might find as a sorceress outside of occy in softcore, or any other caster weapon generally, NOT worth finding when you can make spirit so early and all of the options are rarer than Tal thul ort amn. 99% of items you can just leave on the ground. You can nerf spirit hard down to two skills and 35 fcr, and it would be still better than all of the caster weapons you can get level 50 and below and likely higher. Pretending it has some sort of niche role in peoples builds is ridiculous. its just a generically overpowered item compared to any of its level equivalents. Nobody is saying it needs high runes, just its way too good for what it delivers.

1 Like

No. It’s not overpowered, other options are uselessly itemized. You can maybe find some sorc wand rares worth using, or a good White wand base for a necro, but the sheer lack of FCR is what makes Spirit so vital for casters. Spirit is not a problem, it’s a solution to the real problem of the D2 caster mid game. It doesn’t need to be nerfed, it needs to be given competition.

Keep in mind, this only matters for crystal sword Spirit. Spirit shield is behind a fat gate of a 4os monarch that’s either ethereal or requires 156 str to use; and runewords are absolutely balanced around their possible bases as much as their attributes. Sure, some paladin can make double spirit early, but it’s not like they’re suddenly hammering down the game at light speed without an Enigma built.

In general, what Spirit does for casters still chasing real endgame items is the model for a good runeword, or even just a good item. Consider how very little FCR is available to casters if they can’t use an early spirit.

1 Like

Don’t agree at all. One item towers over another, and the rest are just “uselessly itemized”?
Spirit shard, suicide branch, white wand, all uselessly itemized? Lol

Sorry, they’re not. This just does it all. You don’t have to have overpowered stats to your play your caster early. Spirit sword is good enough to use in the end game. That’s how good it is. In softcore, Spirit shield is an end game runeword.

2 Likes

Right, so you ignored most of what I said. I mentioned these types of item specifically, I mentioned White wand by name, and all of them are reasonable swaps to a Spirit weapon depending on specific needs. You legitimately don’t understand what’s elevating Spirit in most player’s minds. Anyone with half a brain that could suicide branch to hit a new FCR breakpoint is going to use that over a Spirit weapon.

Are you considering the strength requirement of a Monarch though? casters are already glass cannons without having to invest heavily in str.

I would love to use something like the Spirit shield as a stopgap before finding a Homunculus as a Necro. If only the base was lighter.

Of course they’re not. Half these people complaining about the power of runewords ignore the limitations of their bases.

You show these people a picture of a Spirit Crystal Sword next to a Wizardspike and tell them “you’re in Hell mode, you’re struggling to gear for resistance, and you could use more FCR”. What do they do? They start complaining that Spirit is overpowered.

1 Like