Enhanced Damage + Max/Minimum Damage Jewels have been bugged since October 28, 2003 - let's fix it

That’s right. This bug has been sitting here completely unfixed since 2003. And it’s not even a hard one. It is a very well understood bug.

Examples:

In patch 1.09d (October 27, 2003 and earlier - before the bug):

Say you have a weapon with 100 - 200 damage. You have 500% skill enhanced damage. You add a 40% Enhanced Damage, 15 Maximum damage jewel to your helm.

Effect in patch 1.09d:

Base damage becomes 100 - 215
Enhanced damage total is 540%
Damage becomes 640 - 1376

In Patch 1.10a and beyond, including 2.5 of D2R (October 28, 2003 and later):

Enhanced damage on jewel only adds to minimum damage pool. + max adds to top damage but is not modified by jewel enhanced damage %

Result:

Damage becomes 640 - 1290

In other words, 540% enhanced damage to the min damage pool, but only 500% enhanced damage to the max damage.

The bug is even dumber if there is enhanced damage with both min and max integer damage on the jewel. The enhanced damage on the jewel is completely negated and doesn’t apply anywhere!

Just revert back to the math formula being used in patch 1.09d to correct this bug.

9 Likes

True, though I don’t think this dev time will fix this.
It’s only affecting melee and bow builds.

1 Like

I think the devs forgot melee builds exist, they keep buffing casters and ignoring all the issues with melee

7 Likes

It does feel like this sometimes doesn’t it?

1 Like

Wish they had ignored it more tbh, while they didn’t fix it’s issues or made good rebalancing, they did change WW and Shapeshift attacks which basically ruined more than it fixed.

2 Likes

i disagree… they did fix fury… you can get 5 frame with a 0 ias wep now

granted feral frames are slower.
they need to address fireclaw and rabies damage
and bear, well… bear always sucked so thats nothing new.

although thats not technically true, its certainly slower for sure

but once you get maul up bear can hit like a truck. its not efficient. and its slower than wolf. but it is safer i did the math it it does hit harder than fury in dps

but thats ignoring CB damage and it obviously has no life leech or FRW
then again it does have very high def and cant be interupted.

i dont think bear is “bad” its just. not efficient clear speed wise.

but no melee builds are or will be without smash damage when compared with casters

Yes it made some Fury builds better, but it also ruined many other builds that were actually viable due to the incredibly low attack speeds they have now or the need for all out ias gear and thus lack of other things like survivability.

For example I loved Fireclaw Bear and Wolfbarian, both the versions I did are no longer working, because both relied on the attack speed.
Sure you could use a higher damage weapon on the wolfbarian, but with low damage from attack skill multiplier it will remain mediocre at best and since it is now capped at 4.17 aps instead of 6.25 CB will be a lot less effective.
Same idea for Fireclaw Bear, or some of the fun builds like Necrobear with Brand, sure I can still hit 3.13 attacks per second with it now, however it would mean full attack speed gear were before it required 5 ias off-weapon, now you need 133 ias off-weapon.
Maul wasn’t the best skill indeed, but it had some fun and a Eth Feral Oath still did good damage and 4.16 aps, now you need 105 ias and a fana merc to get to 4.16 aps, without the fana 3.57 is max and every 1-h weapon version is hard-capped at 3.57.

So I say it ruined more than it fixed, because 1 Build became better (with certain gear not all) and all the other got the stick some are even no longer viable for hell newer mention effective.
Give me the pre-change anyday.

1 Like

they could just make it like they did in ptr and have it choose whichever is fastest, the old or the current.

1 Like

Best of both worlds option is of course always better, I myself am not planning on a Fury druid anytime soon and likely never again, but doesn’t mean I think it should be nerved.
But I think they simply wanted to do away with Wias as a whole, so probably won’t happen.
Don’t the concept of reworking the system either, but it should’ve been done properly making more builds viable instead of less and definitely not hard capping attack base attack speed.

1 Like

R.I.P. Melee BARB and ASN …

1 Like

To be honest, I was completely unaware of this bug. Hope you don’t mind and added this to the general changes outlined in the thread below for Improving Itemization.