Enable Profanity

This game is rated Mature - " Titles rated M (Mature) have content that may be suitable for persons ages 17 and older. Titles in this category may contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content, and/or strong language."

Yet Strong Language is not allowed in fact it is censored in game regardless of unchecking the “Mature language filter” in the game settings.

The original Diablo 2 allowed profanity without censorship.

Even World of Warcraft with a Teen rating allows profanity with the option to enable or disable the profanity in the settings, yes in a Teen game you can say ANYTHING you want by disabling the mature language filter, as things should be.

If you’re overly sensitive then you can enable the mature language filter, for everyone else, this game is rated 17+, we’re adults and do not want to be censored, the Mature rating guarantees strong language and violence.

Imagine paying $40 for a Remaster only to chat now being censored, and it isn’t just profanity there are a lot of non curse words that are filtered.

34 Likes

Let’s Go Blizzard!
Let’s Go Blizzard!
Let’s Go Blizzard!

What I think about them and their censorship. Time to invent entire new words just so we’re allowed to communicate. So hytri sick of hytri companies and their hytri censorship.

1 Like

Use a separate voice chat program like TeamSpeak.

They aren’t going to allow profanity, we all know why, because someone’s fragile feelings might get hurt.

8 Likes

honestly your name offends me. reminds me of pimples

1 Like

It’s ridiculous that most if not all other Blizzard games have an optional profanity filter, but in D2R it’s forced with no option to disable it.

I think it’s most likely just an oversight rather than a deliberate attempt at censorship, seeing as how this game felt like it was still in alpha even at launch (and still does feel like alpha in some ways, looking at the lobby and game list). Hopefully this gets fixed though.

9 Likes

maybe you’re just new to gaming, but when THIS GAME was literally designed and created, it was actually a bann-able offense to use curse words in chat.

they need to bring this back, stop letting people with terrible morals overrun the chat with curse words. it’s not hard to stop if you cared. obviously the original devs actually cared about the players experience online.

Haha, no it wasn’t.

they need to bring this back, stop letting people with terrible morals overrun the chat with curse words. it’s not hard to stop if you cared. obviously the original devs actually cared about the players experience online.

Nah. That’s why it’s optional is so that people can enable the filter, if that’s not enough then you can block people. You have the tools to deal with curse words, there doesn’t need to be blanket censorship forced on everyone.

3 Likes

I think the profanity filter needs to be repaired. I like being able to see bad language, even if some people dont. Thats why it’s an option though, so that way people can shield their eyes lol

2 Likes

actually only harassment was bannable, and racism. I found out by getting into trouble a couple times lol…they also didnt allow spam, but then spambots took over when the blizz tech support left Bnet. as far as ingame goes, they didnt care too much. you were also encouraged to squelch people who used language you didnt like. mostly the public channels were where they took action, and only when it got to a certain point. so saying a swear one time didnt get you banned, for example.

1 Like

I made it when I was 14 get over it.

2 Likes

No, it does not and never did. Not even masked profanity is allowed in WoW. Going back to 2004. Here is a post covering the original WoW user manual and TOU explicitly stating no profanity, etc. Social Contract with Current subs - #150 by Mirasol-mannoroth - General Discussion - World of Warcraft Forums

Excerpt if you want the key lines

B. Rules Related to “Chat” and Interaction With Other Users.

Communicating with other Users and Blizzard Entertainment representatives is an integral part of World of Warcraft and is referred to in this document as “Chat.” Your Chats may be subject to review, modification, and deletion without notice by Blizzard Entertainment. Additionally, you hereby acknowledge that Blizzard Entertainment is under no obligation to monitor Chat and you engage in Chat at your own risk. When engaging in Chat in World of Warcraft, or otherwise utilizing World of Warcraft, you may not:

(i) Transmit or post sexually explicit images or other content or language which in the sole discretion of Blizzard Entertainment is deemed to be offensive; nor shall you transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable content or language, nor may you use a misspelling or an alternative spelling to circumvent the content and language restrictions listed above;

Mature language filter is NOT an excuse in WoW to break the rules. From the Customer Support forums (where folks often try to say “but just turn on the filter”)

Mature Language Filter (aka The Profanity Filter)

• This can be activated within your Interface Options: Main menu (ESC key by default) Click Interface > Social and check - Mature Language Filter.

• Once enabled, all inappropriate words in our profanity database will be filtered and masked to appear as jumbled characters, such as ‘*##@&’.

Note: The filter does not excuse the language used. The filter serves as a temporary shield, to help parents of minors and others who do not wish to see it, to block it. Our policies prohibit the use of both clear and masked inappropriate language.

As for the rest

They did nothing on the old D2 servers, correct. They still don’t. It was not so much that it was allowed, but they did not enforce it. There are no reporting mechanisms or any moderation there. It is just plain too old.

You have agreed now though by accepting the EULA to install the Bnet app to play D2R and to use the forums. If you are here, you agreed to the EULA and Code of Conduct, for the game and forums. That means you agreed not to use profanity or masked profanity in public channels.

The GAME content made by Devs is rated by the ESRB. That content is static and can be reviewed and rated. Note, D2 and D2R are not rated M for Strong Language. They are rated for Blood, Gore, and Violence. D2R for suggestive themes. Image taken from the D2R main website.

ESRB

Blood and Gore

Violence

Suggestive Themes

PLAYER interactions are not rated. They fall under the rules of the game company - and in the case of Blizzard are very family friendly.

Here is the EULA you agreed to Blizzard End User License Agreement - Legal – Blizzard Entertainment

Here is the in-game Code of Conduct you agreed to for D2R

Here is the forum Code of Conduct you agreed to - which includes not using even masked profanity.

And here is the Refund Policy if you were to not accept the terms and had not played more than 2 hours on a recent purchase.

2 Likes

No they didn’t, i’ve played Diablo 2 off and on for about 20 years and i’ve never seen anyone get banned for profanity, it has NEVER been a bannable offense for using curse words in chat.

If you don’t like it keep mature language filter on since you’re overly sensitive, this is an adult game after all.

1 Like

That is my take on this part as well. It is a terrible filter and there is no option to turn it off. It messes up normal chat.

However, filter or no filter, we are not allowed to use profanity or all sorts of other language.

So yeah, Blizzard is not going to permit it. IF reported, the GMs can action accounts. This is why what you say in Public channels/games needs to stay reasonably clean.

What you say in private where your friends are, is not going to get reported. They don’t have any AI monitoring of chat, yet.

The GAME is rated that way for Blood, gore, violence, and suggestive themes. NOT strong language.

Player content has to follow Blizzard’s rules that you agreed to - and those are not “Mature” as you called it.

Read the rules you agreed to. You might be surprised.

1 Like

this is a slippery slope, and I think it honestly boils down to “if your are deliberately being offensive”

Mostly because that is what people will bother to report you for. Most people don’t care about casual use of a word here or there. It is kind of up to the players to decide what is ok for them by reporting.

This is also why private games are pretty safe for friends who want to “banter”. Nobody there is going to report them.

I always look at public chats/games like a town square festival - all sorts of people. Use some form of manners there. Keep the colorful stuff to home, friend’s house, private game, etc.

5 Likes

no thank you, i prefer the mature filter disabled and i like the fact that blizzard will protect me and i am able to report you if i see you cursing AT ALL. Luckily we live in a society, with laws and rules to protect us from those who would do us harm. Do not like it, move to a country with laws that you agree with.

#cleanlanguageonlyGJblizzard

Yes, WoW did indeed allow profanity which is why they have a “Mature Language Filter” in WoW as well. If they didn’t allow profanity why would they have that checkbox and not just disallow curse words as they do in Diablo 2 Resurrected.

I have played WoW for almost an equal amount of time, you’re not going to tell me that I can’t use curse words in WoW without them being censored or filtered.

Mature 17+ suggests what the game might have in it, the rating they receive is subjective to the content of the game such as in Diablo 2’s case, “Blood and Gore, Violence and Suggestive Themes” were the only mature content found since the actual content doesn’t use curse words, don’t attempt to nullify the fact that just because profanity isn’t in the description rating that it shouldn’t be allowed in the game. Rated M is 17+ and is rated for Strong Language regardless if it’s part of the content of the game OR part of player interactions.

And profanity is allowed, why else would they have not filtered it if that were the case? This is the logical conclusion.

Only now it isn’t.

Also why are you constantly replying to everyone? Do you work for Blizzard? If not find something else to do so we can discuss this amongst ourselves, you disagree, nobody cares.

I made this post so profanity can once again be uncensored as it is in Diablo 2 and a lot more people agree with me than with you.

2 Likes

Precisely what I was wondering except with StarCraft 2 instead of WoW. Why would the option be there if profanity isn’t allowed?

1 Like

No it does not and never did. I provided you the original WoW documentation as well as the WoW CS post on the subject of the filter. Go read it.

You can do it, and you can be reported for it and penalized. The only thing that has changed is that you can now easily report from in game with right click vs having to make a ticket. The existence of the filter does not mean you can break the rules.

No, it is not if you bother to even read the rules.

Directly from Blizzard CS

Mature Language Filter (aka The Profanity Filter)

• This can be activated within your Interface Options: Main menu (ESC key by default) Click Interface > Social and check - Mature Language Filter.

• Once enabled, all inappropriate words in our profanity database will be filtered and masked to appear as jumbled characters, such as ‘*##@&’.

Note: The filter does not excuse the language used. The filter serves as a temporary shield, to help parents of minors and others who do not wish to see it, to block it. Our policies prohibit the use of both clear and masked inappropriate language.

It will not happen.

2 Likes

you are the type of woman I would be dumb enough to date and even consider marriage with. how do I know? because you manage to get under my skin with almost no effort.

sorry, I know thats random lol

1 Like