Do you think rune drops are set fairly?

I’m curious to hear your guys opinion on the drop rates of runes particularly the higher ones around Gul and up… I’ve only had one “high” rune drop and that was a Gul in my hellforge… Been farming for more than a week to get a Lo, Ber and Ohm for various runewords but all I seem to find in the Chaos Sanctuary is Thuls and Amns and the past few days a few Lums. I’m sure statistically several of you have found them but I’m pretty sure the majority of you haven’t and won’t… According to silospens drop calculator the best chance at getting a Ber rune is from Izual and it’s a 1 out of 54k which is nuts imo… I can appreciate having to grind and put in the time but there comes a time where you get burnt out and have nothing to show for it… I understand high runes are high runes for a reason and that they’re incredibly rare but not everyone has 8+ hours a day to farm for them. It’s just very uninspiring to farm for 40+ hours and not get anything over a gul.

3 Likes

I dunno is 1 in 100000 fair?

Best way besides is to just kill a bunch of stuff quickly, or kill ghosts. That means those fallen camps in A1, arcane sanctuary/tombs A2, flayers in A3 or A5 Halls, chaos sanctuary is good too for seal popping, Shenk I’ve had a Jah (not in D2R yet but in regular D2) drop from the surrounding enemies, and of course cows. The more you kill, the more chance of one of those runes dropping. Only a matter of time.

2 Likes

The drop chance per kill is incredibly low, but that’s why you have to kill lots and lots of things. I have now seen an Ohm rune and a Lo rune drop, and I’m not the luckiest person I know, nor do I farm all day. I just go into chaos sanctuary and try to kill everything as quickly as possible to get lots of kills.

2 Likes

I’ve never been a fan of D2s artificially “rare” drops. then again I’m not a fan of doing 10k Baal runs either so I’m not sure what I’m going to do once my main makes it through Hell.

I’m not sure I understand what you’re trying to convey. For something to be artificial, it would have had to have been not rare from the get go and forcefully changed later to be given the idea that it should be rare when it wasn’t initially.

Most things in Diablo 2 were as rare as they are from the get go. Rare in and of itself is defined by being scarce.

In any event, to respond to this thread’s OP, yes, Rune drop rates are absolutely fair, especially when you consider some of the crazy top tier Runewords you can make, never mind the potential to increase the power of end-game unique items.

Prior to 1.14, Zod had a 1:54000 chance of dropping. It is now 1:5000 or something. So you’re way better off now than you were prior to 1.14. Consider yourself lucky. :>

2 Likes

I haven’t done any baal runs in hell and I’m level 91 now. I’ve basically gained 3 levels in the past week or 2 from doing eldritch > shenk > pindle > trav > pit runs over and over. I sprinkle in cows and some random other areas every so often just to mix up the monotony.

1 Like

I went from 80 to 89 purely on Pindle and AT runs, lol. It’s a great life. I’m more than half way to 90 purely from AT runs.

RNG is RNG.
All you can do is pray for RNGesus to give you that jackpot.

I think the rates are just fine for multiplayer, but I do think offline characters should get a significant drop chance boost for high end gear and runes. It’s a bit of a bummer to think that I may never see any of them and don’t have the luxury of trading for them. But ah well, still enjoying myself regardless.

1 Like

As a non teleporting character (warcry barb still need jah). I find it easier to skip at for now. You can find the pit by following the road south out of the outer cloister so it is much easier to find.

One of the big end-games in Diablo 2 is finding those highly sought after items, and yes it can take a long time. You don’t NEED those items to beat the game… You WANT them to empower your character to repeat the game more efficiently.

If runes are easier to find, we’ll have every powerful runeword we want quicker, a high rune dropping won’t be as thrilling, trading would become less meaningful, and the game will become boring much more quickly.

After you complete Hell, this game is literally a glorified slot machine. So keep pulling that lever, something good might drop.

5 Likes

For the power that certain runewords provide, yes

This slot machine keeps nomming all of my hours. It’s great. Moooooreee!!!

1 Like

Rune drops are fair or too high.

People put too much stock in the high runewords. They were things to make your character better, not thing you need just to play the game. The Runewords are for min/maxing, not something you have to have just to beat Hell Baal.

The gear is supposed to be rare thus the rune drop rate is supposed to be low.

Nom nom nom, ogm, nom. -Heavy Weapons Guy from Team Fortress 2 eating a sandvich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0QDCTLgYCg

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Spam Ancient tunnels/pits, lower kurast, trav, cows, chaos sanc and you will get HR’s.

Just a matter of when

Way I see it: Diablo 2, excellent loot based system… with questionable drop percentages. Some items statistically can take 20 years to get, which is utterly ridiculous. Not everyone can play 7 days a week, 365 for 8-10 hours a day.

Diablo 3: Just stick your hand in the cookie jar, and you get sets or rares. This is just straight up lazy and catering to the highest spectrum on this side. You know it’s bad when you play for 3 days and already GG’d.

Why can’t there be a middle ground? The world may never know.

3 Likes

I know 4 people that have found either Death’s Fathom, Windforce, Grandfather or several HRs. RNG is RNG, it sucks for some, it’s very nice to others.

generally, I think veterans are fine with the ultra rare runes. To be honest, I’ve played diablo II a very long time and i’ve never seen a majority of the runes past Sol, ever. not ever. I"ve created a couple of the more common rune words, but my main issue with this whole system is you’ll beat literally everything in the game 100 times over, probably make level 99 a dozen times and you will never see a Zod or anything close to that. Most people will never make the vast majority of rune words- at the very least not until there’s nothing to gain from making them (okay, well there’s the uber bosses but I honestly don’t even know how you get to those to this day). I don’t personally feel like that’s the best possible game design.

However, one could argue that creating these things is an end goal itself, and I can respect that, however it’s an end goal entirely based in RNG and not player skill or any other player controllable attribute.