Disappointment after the recent statement and the missing ladder

He means concurrent players does not reflect the amount of people that bought the game. Concurrent players is always significantly lower, and an amount by the hundreds of thousands is actually huge. Unlike what some previous poster tried to imply.

I think there’s good points on both sides, didn’t read all posts. I’m just having an issue with the expectation part, I don’t buy it.

1- This industry literally has the exact # of copies sold, fair enough not ALL play at the same time (concurrent) but it is known in the gamer community that this is a cult game, and many will take days off for the first couple days therefore VERY likely copies sold = concurrent at launch.

2- It is literally the same movie playing out than WoW Classic 2 years ago: if you were there at launch, they had about half the servers required and had to add many realms to compensate because they “didn’t expect so many concurrent players”

And 3- the biggest crashes were on Thanksgiving weekend… does that need explaining as to why it is VERY LIKELY concurrent will be high?

I mean can anyone actually claim it was oversight at Blizzard without laughing maniacally?

1 Like

they said the highest concurrent players they ever had was a few hundred thousand from one region and that far exceeded the expectations they had.

given that all sales are digital so they have an exact count of how many people have bought the game they know the total number of possible players and even for launch they didn’t expect more than a couple hundred thousand per region at most if a few exceeded it and was a new record.

1 Like

I would applaud you for this post if you would have posted that 24 hours earlier. Everyone is smarter after they got an explanation as to why things went to hell. No offense! I agree with you it’s just the timing.

Something of limited interest:

Sony released their September Playstation Store downloads numbers for PS4/PS5. D2R was ranked #3/#4, respectively. For Australia, D2R was ranked #1 (Original) and #4 (prime Evil Collection) for Nintendo Switch Game Purchases for the week of September 20-26. D2R was not in the top 10 in Australia the following week.

it’s really not the peak time for 1 region is when the other 2 regions are at low points thanks to the fact we have a globe with a day/night cycle. add to that, that the number was higher than the number of people trying to log in at launch and the fact that it was a weekend and they have the exact number of copies sold it had to far exceed the typical % of people who log in for the first few weeks of a launch.

so if you take the largest region with a higher than average percent of player surge even higher than expected at launch which sees a huge majority of players playing with ~300k player you can safely assume it is under 1million players at most 2 million total.

Ladder was already ruined by removing all of its unique items. No one is going to stick around throughout the year trying to race bots and no-lifers to the top of the leader board

well ladder won’t even be 6months long if what they said is to be believed so it’s not really a year thing.

How could I react to a blue post from 4h ago… yesterday…? Maybe I don’t get what you said.

Idc what the reason is, I’m simply the did not expect part sounds like the kind of stuff you get from politicians. It happened with wow 2 years ago. Exact same conditions, very old code etc. Difference being it got fixed quickly because its a sub-based game.

The problem is that VV are game developers, not backend web developers. The issue they are having with their global database timing out is something people who work at Google deal with more than anyone in game development. Game developers get paid much less than those people and work on completely different problems.

So, yes, they did have some inexperience not foreseeing such a problem but networking & caching is a hard CS topic to wrap your head around. Most likely they had to bring someone in to diagnose things. I play single player and haven’t many issues, they seem to mostly be on multiplayer.

I think you need to give these people a bit of slack, game development is an underpaying (compared to other programming jobs), high stress, unthankful job. This game could have been completely bug free and people on this forum would still be crapping all over it for one reason or another. Blame the higher ups for forcing a short release deadline.

1 Like

I am referring to the “I told you so Blizzard” mentality.

Yea lots of those people here. For me this was a test for d4, I was already well disappointed from the wow launch and the mtx they forced in the game. Not buying it, I do hope it goes smoothly for others!

Ok Karen
20 characters

Except it’s not VV doing the back end, it’s Blizzard, and THEY have been doing this for more than 2 decades.

LOL, right… It’s blizzard.

i think what people wanted to hear was “there wasn’t enough server power, and we’ve spent a few more million dollars on server hardwares. we’re committed in this not very profitable side project by spending more money on it to keep beardos happy”

or something like that :stuck_out_tongue:

First I wasn’t replying to you and you always love to stick your nose in on things without the proper context. If you look specifically to who I was replying to and what he was saying you would have understood the comment.

He made a comment that made it seem as if Diablo II doesn’t have a large enough player base to warrant Blizzards full attention.

Player base and Concurrent players are not the same thing. I was using the Concurrent players to prove him wrong because it is the only number given.

You can have a player base of over 50 million people but that doesn’t mean they are all online at once.

concurrent players is a completely different number it’s the number of active and in game players on at the same time.

You can extrapolate from the Concurrent players how big the actual Player base might be.

My Original point that you missed completely was that by looking at the Hundreds of thousands of comment you can clearly tell the Concurrent players is very large which means the Player base is many factors times more then that.

To give an easy example LoL has a concurrent userbase of 3million and a playerbase of 125 million.

So with a Concurrent User base of hundreds of thousands and climbing we can probably assume at least 10-20 million users in the player base. We can also assume it’s growing rapidly by the comment that it was increasing every day past their expectations.

Then we look at the “Per Region” comment and you can multiply a few hundred thousand by 3. even if we assume it’s 200k per region thats 600k concurrent players between all regions which is getting pretty close to a million.

If it is that high, Blizzard will state something in their next quarterly investor report. If it was that 10-20 million copies sold, I bet PezRadar would have even said that. For perspective, Diablo 3 was released in May 2012. It was the best selling PC game for 2012. It sold 12 million copies in 2012.

Do you really think that D2R sold 10-20 million copies in less than a month?

You are arguing 40X playerbase more than concurrent players for LoL. D2R is a new game. It will not be that high of a ratio.

The number of concurrent players are increasing that does not mean that sales are increasing exponentially. I already quoted Sony Playstation download rankings and the regionally limited Nintendo switch rankings that are available. For Nintendo Switch, it was the top ranked game for that week in sales (Sept. 20-26). The following week (starting September 27), D2R did not even make the top 10.

You can check out the Nintendo Switch rankings for AU/NZ here:
[Top Ten AU Archives - IGEA](https://igea.net/top-ten-au/)

She really does, no idea why she has those privileges when she just abuses her powers and talks down to anyone even in the slightest disagrees with her.

2 Likes

Did you even read it? They said they had hundreds tousands players in single region

1 Like

yeah i did and considering the NA region typically has double if not greater the ammount of users of the EU and significantly more than that for Asia without china it’s not mathematically likely they have over a million and almost assured they have less than 2 million players.