David Brevik about D2R "Issues"

No, he said it would be a challenge to increase the field of view. That’s it.

1 Like

The roast is the fact he is the lead dev and did it better 20 years ago vs a team now comprised of hundreds and MUCH more financial interest. Blizz also refused to contact him or even talk to him about the older game during the remaster process which not only shows their arrogance but the current state of the game.

12 Likes

What bothers me is that they are saying that if they consulted with them, the problems with the servers may have never happened, but for all we know, they could have still resulted with the same issues.

Soo if the same issues did come up, what then? Are they ((being Brevik and his wife)) going to take a step back and take the blame for not having a resolution to the issues with the current servers? Are people going to be mad at them instead of the current tech Devs who manage the current servers for the issues?

EXACTLY sums up CURRENT Blizzard’s mentality and why they are so far off base today.

4 Likes

I mean that’s quite the hypothetical there. I think the point is that David Brevik was the lead of Blizz North and one of the most beloved ARPG’s of all time (Diablo 2/LOD and Blizz didn’t so much as contact him for any basic consultation of the game. It’s not saying he can fix everything but the guy most likely knows WAY more than most when it comes to the game code itself.

8 Likes

The point is that they are too arrogant to even ask. Their arrogance is more important than customers getting a proper experience.

17 Likes

There’s one thing that money can’t buy… expertise! Diablo 2 team from Blizzard North has the expertise and has the essence of game, was they are thinking when develop the first Diablo and what they are focusing when doing Diablo 2. Activision/Blizzard today didn’t develop Diablo anymore, this game should change name.

7 Likes

I get that, but I think the problem and concern Blizzard would have is that if they did reach out to them to consult the problem and it doesn’t work or it becomes worse, I think it could spell more disaster for Blizzard for taking advise from a non current employee on how to fix their servers.

Now if they hired them back on to work on the servers, then go for it Blizzard. Let them take a shot at it.

Blizz made a lot of decisions on this game that showed they don’t understand the history of the game, how it is played and how it works. These issues we are having are not new, they happened before, realm down existed for a reason.

Some more research on Blizzs part may have saved us all a lot of painful time in ques.

8 Likes

He doesn’t need to fix anything, but how can you deny… actually more than that, how can you just resign the world’s leading authority of Diablo 2/LoD game mechanics and code (Mr. David Brevik), when you are about to create a re-master of that game…

Now facing this huge problems, it just becomes an unimaginable mistake.

7 Likes

David Brevik is one of the few game devs that I love listening to them talk shop and to them sharing on the history of video games and gaming. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes

David is from the era of Blizzard where they would never ship a product that was not ready. Where they would cancel projects just because they weren’t going to be top quality. They would eat the costs in order to maintain their top tier reputation on all levels.

I guess it’s not surprising modern Blizzard wants nothing to do with this mentality anymore.

20 Likes

I think that happened years ago before they were even considering making D2R. I am not saying that it wouldn’t be a bad idea as long as Blizzard hires them on to take a look at make sure things run smoothly though. It may have helped, but maybe not. We will never know.

I would love to buy another game like Diablo developed by David. He knows EXACTLY what Diablo means.

7 Likes

Yeah I mean Diablo is David. The game anyway. He got the idea in high school that was right below Mount Diablo – when he started designing it. Though, he wanted it more of a turn-based game and it was blizzard south with the idea about action rpg, but still. The genius of the game is the itemization. David literally invented the skill tree.

8 Likes

“Diablo Queue, Reconnected”

1 Like

David is also the one that invented Battlenet. The whole game lobby thing.

10 Likes

Just it says everything! He created Diablo for love, because they want to give us the honor to play your wonderfull creation, money was only consequence. Now companys only develop for money, it’s why a lot of Indie Teams are gaining visibility, because of same vision as David has in the past.

8 Likes

Arrogance and hubris are the chief causes of downfall of any institution or civilization.

Ask the Romans.

Funny how everything comes around full circle isn’t it?

4 Likes