CONSTANT Disconnects!

Every 10 or so minutes BOOM disconnecting!
MTR
`|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| WinMTR statistics |

| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

| h288a - 0 | 1669 | 1669 | 0 | 0 | 15 | 0 |

| bbras-llu-kln-02L500.forthnet.gr - 1 | 1665 | 1664 | 5 | 6 | 46 | 7 |

| te0-4-1-3.distr-kln-03.forthnet.gr - 1 | 1665 | 1664 | 5 | 7 | 46 | 6 |

| be33.core-kln-04.forthnet.gr - 1 | 1665 | 1664 | 5 | 7 | 46 | 6 |

| amazon2.gr-ix.gr - 1 | 1661 | 1659 | 5 | 8 | 70 | 7 |

| 150.222.122.59 - 1 | 1661 | 1659 | 6 | 15 | 216 | 10 |

| 150.222.122.42 - 1 | 1661 | 1659 | 6 | 8 | 39 | 7 |

| No response from host - 100 | 336 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

|____________|||||||

WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider`

8 Likes

This game title is very sensitive to packet loss according to the staff. There is packet loss on all of the ISP nodes before you reach Blizzard.

1 Like

I know you’re just trying to help, but there is no way that ONE LOST PACKET should be causing disconnects. I highly doubt that is the issue, but even if it is that is absolutely not acceptable.

I can’t think of a single game (other than this one, apparently) that isn’t able to withstand brief connectivity loss, let alone a SINGLE PACKET.

5 Likes

If you’re being disconnected every 10 minutes, you’re doing way better than me. I’m getting booted after about 2 minutes. Just long enough to leave the Rogue encampment, kill a couple mobs, then boom. D/C. I would think the game would be programmed for the players to have a good time, rather than dedicating their own time to troubleshooting and trying to figure out how to manipulate their devices to force the game to work.

9 Likes

Keep in mind that a WinMTR only tests once per second. The game’s tick rate is higher than 1 packet per second (that would be a slideshow). Instead, you may be losing packets in between those 1-second ticks, which could contribute to disconnections.

Since connection troubleshooting is purely offered as a courtesy by their staff (I don’t work for them so I answer these posts a lot), it may be hard to track down the issue. You could try a more advanced tool like PingPlottr, which allows more customized testing. While I can’t offer assistance with that app in the forum, it may help you get a better idea of what’s going on.

1 Like

I understand what you’re saying, but a game should be able to withstand a brief disconnection, and re-establish the connection cleanly when available. Nobody’s Internet connection is absolutely perfect, there is going to be some packet loss – that’s reality and something every other game (including those by Blizzard) are somehow able to handle.

My largest frustration with the way Blizzard has addressed this issue thus far lies with the assertion that the unreliable net-code is perfectly fine, and that there isn’t a problem.

4 Likes

This game is indeed built differently than the others. The staff has discussed this in another thread:

1 Like

I saw that, and that’s where the alarm bells really went off for me. If Blizzard thinks that is actually okay, I really think I need to refund the game because that indicates that it will never be fixed.

12 Likes

This didn’t start happening to me until today 10/19/2021, so was there a patch or something that changed this? and if so please revert back, two hour que time plus constant disconnects is NOT acceptable, have played blizzard games for over 20 years and by far the way things get fixed is worse than it ever has been?

2 Likes

I have the same issue in the game. Well it happened to me twice now and I am now on my third attempt. I hope blizzard could fix it.

2 Likes

This^ Yes just started happening… 5-10 minute intervals of disconnect every time I’ve tried to play.

Constant disconnects are impacting me as well. Never had before either… 5-10 minute intervals of play and without fail a disconnect happens. Didn’t start doing until 10/20…

1 Like

It’s progressively gotten worse for me as well. A couple days back the disconnects started. I could at least get 45 mins to an hr before a disconnect and now I can barely get 5 minutes. Even with the 45 mins I would pray I could find a way point before a disconnect that way I wouldnt lose all my progress to that point. Now there’s no point in playing. This is bulls**t.

3 Likes

It has been proven time and time again that this isn’t the problem. Numerous people have had this issues without any packet loss. Many people who played the game just fine during the beta are getting booted constantly. There are couples who have reported playing on the same internet network, one of which is constantly booted, while the other isn’t.

This isn’t an issue on our end, it’s a problem on Blizzard’s end, and they need to fix it. It’s completely absurd.

Numerous people who purchased the game on Switch also haven’t been able to play the game on that system because the online authentication is broken.

I know you don’t work for the company (at least, I think that’s what the green text means), but you need to stop making excuses for what is obviously broken code on Blizzard’s end.

They need to stop gaslighting their own customers and acknowledge there’s a serious issue for a large number of users and actually take proactive steps to fix it, which they don’t seem to be doing.

2 Likes

Anti-cheat software is fine. BROKEN anti-cheat software isn’t okay.

If Blizzard’s anti-cheat software is improperly calibrated and that is causing large numbers of people to get booted, then that’s a problem that they need to acknowledge and fix instead of blaming their own customers for their own incompetence.

4 Likes

To be fair they have no obligation to support packet loss as a result your bad ISP or countries network.
However in reality that is going to be an issue for a large portion of customers for a global game and it is an issue that is usually pretty much out of the customers control so it would definitely be nice of them to be able to handle packet loss more gracefully than it does now.

I agree, to an extent, but numerous people have also reported this issue with two different accounts running on the exact same network, so it’s clearly not a packet loss issue, at least for those people.

To say nothing of the fact that it worked perfectly well during beta and doesn’t now, from my own personal experiences, which means that they broke something between the beta and release that is causing these widespread issues.

If it’s because they enabled anti-cheat software that wasn’t present during the beta and has a bunch of false negatives and boots people, then that’s a serious issue that they need to fix.

But blaming their own customers for something that is clearly their fault doesn’t change the fact that it’s clearly their fault and they need to be held accountable for releasing broken software and then refusing to acknowledge that it’s broken. And it’s clearly broken.

2 Likes

It can easily still be packet loss on the same network if one of the computers is discarding packets locally for some reason. Software firewall issue, defective network card, wifi channel interference, etc.

I have yet to see any evidence that it is “clearly their fault”. Only an assumption based on the unwillingness to look deeper.

You seem to be trying to help, and I appreciate that, but there’s clearly a pattern emerging here where people who are able to play every other game in their online library perfectly fine not being able to play this game, and then being blamed for it, and that’s simply absurd.

My “willingness to look deeper” was demonstrated, I think by the fact that I pre-ordered this game, played the beta, and when I couldn’t play it consistently after release without being booted ever 15-30 minutes, I waited more than a month before I joined the, “It’s broken, stop blaming your own customers and fix it,” bandwagon, because I had assumed that developers were actually reading this thread and fixing the problems with their broken netcode.

And, again, this isn’t the only way that it’s broken. Switch owners haven’t been able to play the game since launch due to problems with authentication. People are getting their characters locked into games. People are losing progress, items and characters. And a myriad of other problems that are clearly related to shoddy net code.

And in return, rather than being told to be patient while these issues are fixed, we’re told… to check for packet loss?

It’s completely and utterly absurd.

4 Likes

Bingo!

Fix the problem. Don’t try and pretend it doesn’t exist.

We’ve been very patient. We understand that the developers have a million problems to solve.

But they need to stop claiming it’s somehow not an issue. Nicole has done that. Numerous Blizzard employees have done that.

I have never once seen an instance of someone who had this problem actually successfully resolving it. That should tell the developers something.

1 Like