Can we get an "official" Blue comment on the Cold Mastery change?

Sorceress’ Cold Mastery used to not be able to break Cold Immunes, but in D2R, this has changed, and it can break CI’s similar to Conviction Aura or Lower Resist.

Many people speculate that Cold Mastery was finally “fixed” and the current skill behavior is how it was supposed to be all along. TBH it makes sense given the way other skills in this category work. But I’ll be the first to admit this is a massive QoL iomprovement and buff to the already strong Cold Sorceress.

Many others speculate that it’s a bug or oversight, which the D2R devs will eventually fix.

Or is there another explanation?

25 Likes

I feel like this is way too strong. Probably will be fixed.

5 Likes

It kind of makes sense. I mean infinity breaks lightening resistance some of them

14 Likes

My gear is not that good yet but how much skill points you need it to to break immunities?

Saw an article saying originally it was a bug and it was something they fixed.

9 Likes

Well, i have cold mastery with a -135% , and not one cold immune has been broken. O<o

6 Likes

It still says cold immune but they die to cold. Makes sense its just a bug. If they intended for that to happen it would not say cold immune after its broken

3 Likes

come on, its clearly a bug, total imba

correct me, but there are only two ways zu break immunities in d2
Lower resist and conv aura.

in which world makes that sense given the way other skills in this category work? In the vodka world?

Infinity breaks lightning resistance because most monsters base lightning resistance are lower than cold. edit: this change is fine and will even the two specs in end-game.

10 Likes

It depends on the monster. Every “cold immune” theoretically has a Cold Resistance that is 100% or more. So it depends on your level of CM partly.

2 Likes

Cold Mastery should not break cold immunities. I’ve played Diablo 2 for twenty years and the Blizzard sorceress has always been the most popular sorceress build only rivaled by the lightning sorce with endgame gear. The fact that Cold Mastery could not break immunities was intended by the developers just as the chill effect was intended to slow down monsters - it brings balance to the game. If Cold Mastery breaks cold immunity moving forward that’s a wrap on any Fire sorceress or dual tree build; there just wouldn’t be a point to using them when you can just steam roll the entire game with Blizzard.

14 Likes

You should be able to break certain monsters with -135%.

Llama does it right here to CI Dark Hunters in Hell Cold Plains. Their resistance is somewhere between 100-130%

2 Likes

Yeah all you have to do is wear two cold raven rings and you beat any cold sorc… now maybe it’s not a gaurenteed win

1 Like

u dont understand the mechanics right, do some research before u post stupid stuff

minus resistance and breaking immunities are two mechanics, not one in this game

1 Like

Yeah don’t quote me on that, because I didn’t say I knew all the mechanics perfectly. I do understand it’s much more complicated, and breaking an immunity still results in 1/5th of the damage, etc.

Regardless, that’s irrelevant. This thread is about getting an explanation as to why CM functions differently now than it used to.

1 Like

isnt that a bit OP?

nobody else has access to that much -enemy res.

if its true there’s little to no reason to play anything else than a cold sorc.

2 Likes

again wrong
i gave up, say more stupid things
its a bug!

Amp damage breaks phys immunes and always has- so who cares? The lack of consistency/balance in the original game isn’t cause for alarm. Remove all immunity breaking abilities or stop complaining about it.

7 Likes

Back in original D2 (before LoD came out) Cold Mastery broke through cold immune enemies. Then I got the expansion and updated my game and it completely broke my sorc. If hey have indeed reverted it to the original Diablo 2 mode than this is actually a good thing.

16 Likes

I’ve killed some with just -85%. Probably depends on what their resistance is set at and NOT that they are flagged immune. Then, i increased my skill and some cold immunes are dying while others in the same pack are untouched by the cold damage.

Something isn’t right.