Blizzard's false advertisement on server stability

Look, Blizzard sucks and they screwed this up royally. With that said, it almost definitely isn’t an “old hardware” issue. It’s an “old architecture” issue. If it were just hardware, it would’ve been fixed already. A new architecture with new services takes time, and they were negligent in load testing the game so they didn’t catch it earlier.

4 Likes

Agree with you… but I will say that in today’s ‘covid supply chain era’ just getting new hardware wouldn’t necessarily be that easy either. I am trying to source a new rack of servers to rebuild a datacenter that had a fire, and we are having trouble getting new server/network equipment shipped in less than a month :confused: :roll_eyes:

1 Like

It is entirely possible that bad coding leads to bandwidth issues if, say, it doesn’t redirect to a load balancer and tries to throttle itself with a club sandwich and 4-day old Mt. Dew.

The two issues are not required to be mutually exclusive and very likely feed each other like a tasty Diablo ouroboros.

I hear you, but I feel like if that were the case here Blizzard would have just said that:

We didn’t anticipate the amount of load on the servers, and are in the process of purchasing more, and more powerful hardware. Due to supply chain issues this is taking longer than expected.

I’d also think they’d be using some kind of elastic resources – though maybe not since the architecture is still so dated.

I guess my point is, their explanation makes sense given the circumstances.

To prove fraud you have to have proof of intent. Since Blizz was confident that there wouldn’t be any issues like they ran into. If they knew it because one of them truly has the power to see in the future. Then they would’ve known not to release it when they did and delay the release till it is truly ready.

I have never seen an unintentional false advertising. Or an attempted false advertising. Committing false advertising is something that is done with intent. Intent is hard to prove in a court of law.

David Brevick certainly knew there would be issues. And he hasn’t been with the company in many years. They most certainly knew, but would never make that public of course.

There is no way he can know the exact server structure Blizz is using since he isn’t with them anymore.

Your idea that Brevik would put code in the original D2:LOD that would hurt his own players just to try to get even with Blizz. Even though he said himself it was a great honor to work on the Diablo Franchise. Why would the creator destroy his own masterpiece that others love to see. Just to get back at the art gallery that the painting is hanging in doesn’t make any sense at all.

I’m not saying he would know the specific issue and it’s exact dynamics in relation to bnet 2.0. Just knowing that the original code would cause issues like this is enough. Blizzard would have known a lot more detail than him.

His statements could also be taken as being egocentric. Saying that he should’ve been made part of the team to help them or it wouldn’t work isn’t the same as truly knowing what you are claiming he knows. Sour grapes that he wasn’t brought aboard to help VV remaster his baby.

The same for any other remaster. Where original creators are butt hurt they weren’t made a part of the project. That is vastly different than knowing that what happened would happen.

So did I… but they don’t listen to me either. Heh.

I knew the old tech was not going to scale to modern use. It was a HUGE risk. He knew that too I suspect.

However, I don’t have the knowledge of the past 20 years of Blizz infrastructure and Bnet architecture to figure out how to make games work on it, esp cross platform. Nor would he I suspect.

It is easy to say something is going to be wrong here, or risky, but very hard to actually fix it.

You are debating based on what some PR guy said, and taking it word for word. I highly doubt the server hardware is any different, as it suffers from the same bandwidth limitations. It barely can handle 10 people in queue over 20 minute intervals.