BattleNet altering character names to all uppercase, causing customizations to not be loaded (FIXED)

Character names stored on Battle Net are being loaded with ALL CAPS. This has changed as of the recent Battle Net server maintenance performed yesterday, March 29.

Due to the Battle Net character name incorrectly being displayed or loaded with ALL CAPS, the game can not find the correct CTLO or KEYO files.

For instance, with a character name of “Player”, the correct filename for a controller configuration file would be “Player.ctlo”. Unfortunately, Battle Net believes the character’s name is now “PLAYER” and thus at load time, the game will look for the file “PLAYER.ctlo” or “PLAYER.keyo” which will NOT exist.

I have tested this by creating a NEW character named “TESTER”. The customization files work CORRECTLY since the character name, on Battle Net AND the local system are both UPPER CASE already, so the current issue of Battle Net applying UPPER CASE to the character name is circumvented.

Again, the issue appears to only affect those Battle Net accounts that have Lower Case characters in their character names. Any character names that are entirely UPPER CASE do not appear to be affected by this issue.

Also reported here Names and Keybinds

3 Likes

Please use Blizz Tracker to check for the latest news.

That doesn’t address the immediate issue/problem at hand, yes it refers to the ALL CAPS which they say will be fixed in 2 weeks (2 weeks without D2R being nearly as functional as it should be? Ugh…) but nothing regarding, you know, keybinds resetting every time, and having them not reset, which apparently is due to the CAPS issue but it’s far more egregious than the CAPS issue, yet wasn’t even mentioned in the blue post. Please try to be better in the future.

1 Like

I figured out a work-around.

Rename your current “Player.ctlo” or “Player.keyo” file to “PLAYER.ctlo” or “PLAYER.keyo”. Basically make the name all uppercase.

2 Likes

Hey that’s awesome do you have any idea where I can even find these files?

Nevermind I found it by typing in one of my character names in the Windows Search bar/box

Can confirm this works, keybinds stay as they should even after game is closed and re-opened. Thanks, Felix! Though of course this should never have been necessary, at least it will allow me/others to play the game with some sanity until they fix it in 2 weeks or whatever.

What a truly bizarre screw up by Blizz…wtf did they even do to cause this? What happened? Lol

I am having the same issue with my PC Controller too. Every time I exit the game, I have to rebind Each and Every button. I had to do it to three times today alone! HELP!

Look right above you, Matthew, Felix provides a solution which works.

Well I’m happy to say that the issue has been fixed on the server-side at some point over the last 24 hours, so any work-around is no longer necessary.

If you renamed your characters’ ctlo and keyo files to ALL-CAPS then it is time to rename them back to the way they were before.

1 Like