"An issue occurred while communicating with the game servers. please check that you are connected to the internet and try again."

I am getting this message every time I try to join a game that’s listed in the lobby list or if I try to make one from the ONLINE player selection screen and select “Play” versus “Lobby”.

I can rarely select a game from the ONLINE Lobby list and get in.

Is anyone else having this issue the past few days???

“An issue occurred while communicating with the game servers. please check that you are connected to the internet and try again.”

1 Like

Yes I have this issue now.
Would be nice if they changed the prompt to say something more realistic like.
Your not allowed to join a game right now. OR
(please add your own prompt text below)

This is part of the temp measures they are taking to keep the servers up so the Global Database does not crash under data load.

Rate limiting: We are limiting the number of operations to the database around creating and joining games, and we know this is being felt by a lot of you. For example, for those of you doing Pindleskin runs, you’ll be in and out of a game and creating a new one within 20 seconds. In this case, you will be rate limited at a point. When this occurs, the error message will say there is an issue communicating with game servers: this is not an indicator that game servers are down in this particular instance, it just means you have been rate limited to reduce load temporarily on the database, in the interest of keeping the game running. We can assure you this is just mitigation for now–we do not see this as a long-term fix.

You can read the whole post here Diablo II: Resurrected Outages: An explanation, how we’ve been working on it, and how we’re moving forward

Have you checked your internet connection and tried again? If that doesn’t work, try checking your internet connection and trying again.

1 Like

I think i will check my internet connection and try again.

2 Likes

Misscheetah’s post is the answer.

I’ve found running when Pindle, that killing the Zombies in the Courtyard takes me enough additional time to not get that message.

I’m sure some of you will reply that it happens even if you take the time to kill the zombies (because your character and build are so AWESOME!)

But for me that works. I don’t mind doing less Pindles per hour while they sort this out.

this - the message has absolutely nothing to do with their current rate-limiting scheme. if we are limited, say so, so i can count to 20 before hitting join again, because if you click join and get the same message the timer starts again.

1 Like

the sad thing is I can be in a game for 20mins, “save and exit”, go take a piss, get a drink, come back 5mins later to try and join a new game and get this msg, which you are saying has nothing to do with what the msg says the issue is.

I love that message, since it’s very revealing as to what Blizz thinks of the players, instead of showing a message that says ‘You need to wait because our garbage servers can’t handle the load’ and taking responsibility for causing the inconvenience they instead shift the blame onto the player by accusing them of having issues with the network setup on their end.

1 Like

They clearly lied because there are multiple ways to get this msg to pop up that they have failed to communicate which means it is likely not intended or they have no idea what they are doing with these patches.

same issue here.

can’t join any game unless wait 2 minutes.