Act 1 Cinematic cons and pros; just enhance please

Completely understandable, the music also holds a special place in my heart.

Thank you for the read. I share your sentiment in the grand scheme. Most of your remarks are important details. This Beta is precisely the occasion to give feedback about the art.
Bugs, glitches, game features and options can always come after release with updates. I don’t think you need to apoligize for sharing your thoughts.

However you should post on the d2 forums, D2R forums or Reddit Diablo.
reddit cinematic thread :

You might have a look to my post in which I also pin point a few details about both cinematics. Try to add timestamps so we know exactly which scene you talk about.

Same for me, not only for cinematics. Diablo 1 is my favorite game in the series despite how dated it is, because of the way the lore is presented, how you’re delivered parts of the mystery behind what’s happening under the town in the tomes you read, and the deeper you go into the labyrinth, more of the lore is revealed and the whole mystery starts coming together until you finally figure out what’s happening there and who is behind the summoning of Diablo. It also tells the story of the Sin War, which is one of the coolest parts of Diablo lore.

Likewise for Starcraft (even SC2 although I wasn’t the biggest fan of how it ended), I think vanilla SC1 and brood war campaigns are nothing short of masterpieces in creating a fascinating space opera fantasy story. It’s second only to Warhammer 40k in my heart.

I know it’s a bit unusual to be a lore enthusiast for those two games, it’s usually WoW that attracts fellas like me, but Warcraft lore went to a direction that I really don’t click with anymore (and it doesn’t help that they make you buy 23 BOOKS to be able to tell what’s going on in the game, instead of telling the story properly in the game itself like they did in Warcraft 3 or like FF14 does. Now, I’m an avid reader, I really like books, but if you make a game with a story, you should tell the story properly in the game, and have books to complement or enhance them, not as a requirement to get it at all).

But those WC fans whined and cried about said changes too.

What changes? There weren’t any changes, they literally didn’t do the cinematics they promised. That was one of the big complaints about how they were basically lied to. Of course there were a myriad of other problems.

I’m terrible at SC 1 and 2 but I love the franchise. I also enjoy the story. I use to drag out the campaign as long as possible. I’m also a fan of playing 1v7 on BGH.

I suck at them too. I was okay at winning against gold leagues or below in sc2, but that was mostly because I knew the strats beginner players usually don’t know how to counter, anyone who knew what they were doing wiped the floor with me lol. So I was mostly into custom games and campaign too. Especially me and my friends playing against each other or against bots.

Honestly being a lore enthusiast for any of those games is nothing unusual imo, since the lore is simply an aspect of the game that one enjoys; no different from someone who enjoys a game simply for it’s gameplay or even graphics, as opposed to anything else.

Regarding the three franchises, Diablo’s the only one that I’ve keeping up to date with, as I haven’t been into Starcraft since Brood Wars; and once WoW came out, my interest in Warcraft quickly decline so I know very little about the lore (especially if there’s been any changes/retcons made in accordance to WoW).

That said, if I ever did get back into them (or try to at least), catching up with Lore would be the first action I’d take in order to do so. That’s just how important lore is for me when it comes to most of my favorite franchises (be they games, movies, books, or shows).

You misssed nothing. WoW lore is a mess.

Awh crap, anyone I can move the post? Thanks for telling me. I thought I had posted it in the D2 section section… darn it.

To be honest, I do think that Marius’ facial animations are significantly better in the original. I also agree that it was better to keep Tyrael more shrouded.

Beyond that I think the remaster scenes are better. I just hope the act 4 scene turns out well.

who really cares about cinematics. Watch it once and never watch again. Maybe thats just me though.

I used to watch those cinematics every time on every character. They were very well done for the time.

The D2 cinematics, especially the first one, are the greatest of all time, imo. No cinematics have ever touched it. I haven’t seen the remastered version, but my expectations are low – not because I think the remaster will suck; it would just be foolhearty to expect them to be the greatest ever. That’s what it would take to match D2’s original.

I think they look great. The old ones honestly have not aged well and look… kinda bad. Shrug

Facial animations aside I think it was pretty good. The side by side video someone posted shows how close they are. They are nearly the same scenes, just with worse facial. Really makes me wonder why Marius looks so stiff in the remastered scenes.

Thank for the video. Personally, I don’t like how they darker the lighting in the Remaster cinematic.
That been say I still LOVE the remaster cinematic.

How much time did you spend needlessly picking the cinematic apart and to what end?

How often are you going to actually watch the cut scenes after release lol?

I hope you put this much effort into your schoolwork lol.

the character bringing the drinks in the tavern, asking: “do you want something” is physically (anatomical build) a dwarf/little person/pc-correct term.

this has been changed.

I watched them side by side and i agree with most of your points. Though i believe the last few paragraphs slamming the game as a cash grab hurts your overall criticism and makes it feel as though you were looking for reasons to hate.

It really stood out to me the lack of movements and expressions of regret, terror and sorrow from Marius when talking to Baal. In the original it looks like Marius is on the borderline of insanity with the hauntings of his visions. You don’t get that feeling with the remake.

The sword was too dark in the remake as well. The narrator is talking about the wanderer struggling to drag his sword but you can barely tell he has one.

Other than those relatively small things i think it looks pretty dang good and am happy.