A better way to nerf Enigma?

I know actually they are looking for new RW feedback, but since this topic often pops up recently, here is my simple - not so game breaking - take on enigma nerfing.
Simply add a relevant FCR Malus to it. For example -50 FCR.
What would this cause?

• Enigma is no more best in slot for sorcs, because you would have to compensate the cast rate in order to gain the massive str and mf bonus. this depends on the final malus value
  • Hammerdins would be fairly nerfed. on one hand the damage gets massivly reduced directly by slower cast rate, or mf gets reduced because you maybe have to exchange some mf items to compensate fcr
  • the gap between melee and casters will be smaller, because melees dont suffer much from less fcr (teleport speed only)
  • teleporting will be slower for almost every class, bringing it closer to fast run/walk balance-wise

all this is achieved by simply adding a negative FCR onto it. I know by doing this sorcs still have a monopoly on mobility, but anyway it’s a move in the right direction. this would at least reduce the str and mf of endgame sorcs.

I also propose in general malusses(?) should be used in some case to balance items or runewords towards some edge cases.

The challenge is to find the sweet spot, to still have enigma playable on caster, but at a reasonable cost. ideally it will be a hard decision what build you gonna use.

1 Like

Best way to nerf Nigma is great buff for FRW, new cheap RW/Charm with Teleport, Nigma in helms/shields, decreased/removed nodrop.

I’ve thought that a simple way to nerf Enigma and put Teleport a little more in line with other classes would be to add a 2.0 second cooldown to Teleport that would decrease by .1 seconds per skill lvl. This would still allow Sorcs to fly through levels like they can now after a little more skill investment, but slow it down for everyone else.

With or without that change, adding more CHEAPER 0skill Tele options would also be fantastic.

1 Like

The Best way to nerf Enigma - Fix the duping issue. That way it will be much harder for players to get it…

1 Like

Enigma isnt the problem, Teleport is.

3 Likes

that doesn’t matter as much as you think. in season 2 I had enigma legit after 8 days on hardcore

And why the hell would u want to slow down every other class than sorc even more ??? Sorc are already the fastest class and u actually want to slow down all other even more??? If anything there should be more options for teleport for other classes than enigma and im not talking teleport charges but other items with a + to teleport. The whole idea of ruining the only item that makes other classes close to being able to compete with sorc is nonsense and noone will be playing anything but sorc

3 Likes

I farmed Travincal for 2 days and then i got the enigma :slight_smile: Travical is the boss when it comes to high runes on P1 difficulty

You are doing the right thing in a wrong direction. Maybe it’s teleport to be nerfed instead of enigma. I think all characters should have the same tp speed as slow as once per sec (25f) and not affected by fcr.

1 Like

If you nerf Enigma, you should nerf sorc’s Teleport. Otherwise her dominance will be even stronger. Enigma is the only way to balance other classes with sorcs.

2 Likes

Maybe thats the problem. There needs to be other sources of teleport, without having to repair all the time. I mean it’s fine early game. But enigma takes up an armor slot because there is no alternative. Like a teleport ring, teleport helm, or teleport charm.

buff other item so enigma seem underwhelming / nerfed

Drastically reduce the repair cost for Teleport charges and charges in general! 80% for example. Now it is around 2k gold per charge. Make it 100-200 gold per charge. As we need at least 20 teleports to farm Mephisto, Andariel, Baal and Nihlathak.

With cheaper teleport charges, we’ve no problem, as we easily afford that gold early/midgame.

1 Like

You don’t need to tele, you choose to do so. You could walk instead and tele only when encountered a wall.
And even with the current cost, it’s just 40k per run. Or even 60k, if 30 casts are needed. Pick up 2 elite items from the boss worth 35k each and the repair cost is covered.

LOL, such power creep… Even with +10 skills players would choose Eni with tele. It’s just too convenient not to use it.

majority farm area / early farm are walled or have a gap to turn aroud, andy,wsk, countess, tal tomb, mephs, etc

IMO, similar to others, instead of nerfing enigma, nerf teleport. All it’d need is 1-3 second cool down and itll significantly change the game/builds, etc… probably more so for PVP, but then can still use teleport to escape large, deadly packs, or go through walls, etc. in PVE

There is also the option of not changing anything and instead just either changing some current uniques/runewords, perhaps even sets to give +1 teleport, and/or make new ones with it, but perhaps in different slots.

Overall, those are the 2 best options. Id personally prefer teleport had a cooldown

Ladder creates the problem with teleport since it is a competitive race, people may have different goals at the start of ladder but everyone is racing each other to some extent. In its current iteration if you want to compete then yes you NEED to teleport.

Non-ladder is a different story as its been going for a while now, economy is set and there’s no rush to get to 99 so you can certainly not use teleport if you don’t want to. However there are still instances when its needed, an example p8 games with melee characters half the time packs of monsters are dead before you engage if you don’t teleport into them.

Best way to fix it is an early ladder runeword with access to teleport or as mentioned above reduce the cost of teleport charges.

I think a cooldown on teleport itself is better than the OP idea of nerfing enigma alone. As has been mentioned nerfing enigma alone just amplifies the problem of everyone playing sorceress at the start of ladder. Even with a cooldown on teleport enigma is still the armour of choice for pvp and most pvm builds. It would take a helm runeword with teleport or adding teleport to some of the existing elite unique armours before we see a change in this which I’m guessing is what the OP wants.

LD/NLD distinction doesn’t matter. If there is an efficient way to do something (such as a meta strategy, an exploit or even a cheat), players will just do it, no matter if it’s in a competitive setting or not. Of course, competitiveness greatly encourages it, but it is not a prerequisite. That’s just human nature.

i think thats a good way
teleport back to the location you last teleported from
then you can still teleport back and forth without getting too far off the screen. For example, you teleport forward then you have 8 seconds to go back to the same place with the same teleport skill and if you sit out the 8 seconds then you can teleport forward again without going back and that repeats itself or keeps going back and forth all the time without any CD.
so you either have normal teleport with 8 sec CD or forward back without CD all in 1 skill

1 Like