[2.6 Suggestion] Melee can't compete with casters. Here are some simple ideas to fix that

Still Zero melee mechanics rework , starting to lose hope … Do they really think the new runewords are some kind of fix ? !

1 Like

Imo melee SHOULD be inferior to casters because mages are more powerful than warriors. A warrior can kill the enemies around him, whereas casters are basically walking tactical ballistic missiles with the strategic capacity to turn wars around.

It’s fantasy 101.

Thx for your bump :relaxed:

3 Likes

Looking forward to further barbarian nerfs i see

1 Like

Love to see plenty of my suggestion there

Great compilation

May I also add

Rework terror zones to buff monsters like Playercount rather than Mlvl

Mlvl is accounted in the Hit chance calculation

Therefor terror zone is highly detrimental to attack builds

Lastly, you speak of greater aoe for melee

I’d more say « more coverage »

For example:

Conversion can remain a single target but generate Reanimated fanatics on kill, creating a coverage effect

Vengeance can remain single target but hitting with it triggers additional holy aura pulses

Power strike can remain single target but hitting with it can generate a lightning beam Between you and your Valkery

Bash can remain single target but Knockback can damage monsters on its path

You can add coverage without making it aoe per say

1 Like

Yeahhhhh, disappointed to see Pez’s latest update really only addresses changes to the latest runewords. I’m also losing hope that melee will ever be competitive in D2.

All we really have left to look forward to is the patch notes. If those don’t include systemic updates for melee, I think it’s over. :frowning: Fingers crossed…

1 Like

Anytime :saluting_face:

1 Like

With players who have opinions like bowa, melee definitely will remain garbage

I understand fixing melee might take some development time across several Seasons, but they should be able to quickly attack the problem with implementing some low-hanging fruit-

• Increase base weapon damage by 30% and adjust as necessary
  • Make Zod runes now add ethereal status along with indestructible
  • 2H-weapons now receive 3% bonus damage per point of Strength (vs. 1% for 1H-weapons)
3 Likes

God forbid someone has a different opinion from yours regarding the broken Burst of Speed proc that’s on the otherwise fairly weak runeword. Stay classy Diablo player.

PS: Post reported.

It’s been 2 years. Barbs have been nerfed for almost a year now.

Stop acting like the devs are capable of anything else.

Ironic much?

“I don’t like your opinion of me so therefore i’ll report you.”

1 Like

That’s a big change, not a “low hanging fruit”.

I would instead encourage Blizzard to fix the actual problems that melee classes face like skewed IAS breakpoints, melee skills scaling so so slowly in power as well as lightly nerfing casters a bit to get their damage more under control.

I reported it because it serves no other purpose other than to call someone out and potentially inflame a thread. It’s also flagging a post, not reporting it, you’ll be fine so calm down when you’re ready.

You’ve made it public knowledge who you are. It’s on your YT who this account belongs to.

You make content, it is public, and therefore players have a right to criticize that content and your opinions.

Saying “your opinions are bad” are an easy way for me to condense your body of work into my biased opinion of it. It’s also easier to do than explain your criticisms of hustle which boil down to “it makes bows other than faith good,” while ignoring every other gameplay aspect that hustle buffs and supports for a base 1-99 playthrough for melee and bowzons.

Your solutions in your PTR post are also underwhelming, but see this is a discussion that should be had there instead of here, so therefore i went with option A.

Oh to also make you not feel so vulnerable, i’ll say llama’s criticisms of hustle are bad as well. The only content creators who seem to have gotten it right are Dbrunski and Macrobioboi because they actually thoroughly tested hustle on every build besides just a bowzon and llama’s lazy testing.

If the base weapon damage values could be exported into an Excel file, then updating the values could be done fairly quickly. These updated values could then be uploaded into the game’s logic and tested in PTR.

30% might be too much.

I’d say 15% for one handers (probably skip phase blades) and 20-25% for two handers. But it’d need to be tested. Thunder mauls would potentially do insane damage at a 30% buff.

That’s why it would need to be tested. At this point, it comes down to will to actually do the work. If I was a Blizzard developer, I would have all this done in a a few weekends and would have community test via PTR and provide feedback.

A 15% one handed buff brings a perfect ebotdz to 410dps, so grief is still better but not by much considering ebotd is more of an all-arounder and not a pure dps stick like grief.

Thundermaul ebotds would hit like 1600 max damage which would put it on par with a grief but that would make it absolute bis for shapers considering its capped at 5-6 frames for every other build.

An archon ebotd would hit about 780-790ish dps which is still a bit less than grief but not by too much (assuming 80% DS). So then stacking DS is the goal to beat grief.

Again that goes for shapers since most builds are capped to 5-6 frames with 2 handers. So on every other build that’d be like 600 dps.

That’s the problem with grief: 4 frames, deadly strike, already capped ias on a 1 hander 450ish average dps.

Two handers are strictly bad on every other melee class except for shapers and it seems this is the intended design philosophy they want established. For barbs it would take a lot to make a two hander comparable dps to two griefs for a ww barb. You wind up sacrificing too much.

A base weapon damage increase is definitely needed, but only a minor one imo (15% seems sweet spot). What are needed are good two handed only rws.

It’s funny to see people wanting to criticize other people attempt to improve the game just for values rather than the concept behind those values

Yes %base damage would have a positive effect on melee

But my point remains

No base damage buff

Give 2handers roll 2 sockets at larzuk and higher mod tiers, this could be mimicked by giving 2hander a x% affix bonus (magic, rare, unique Rw)

And make melee skills worth being invested in by giving them by giving them flat damage per lvl

Sorry I meant in terms of impact to the game. I suggested specific bases get a damage boost and of those that should get the highest boost like slow 2 handed weapons, add +5 average damage. Any enhanced damage and ethereal will multiply on this, potentially adding up to 37.5 average damage on an ebotd.

This is sorely needed, seeing each whirlwind or strafe point only add an effective 0.5 to 0.75% damage each time is sad.