Cold Mastery worth it?

Really confused on this topic. Is it even worth taking if you cant break immunities? Would the extra points be better off spent Fire to combat against Cold Immune monsters?

1 Like

It increases the damage that non-cold immunes take. Monsters can have their resistances lowered to -100.

So, for monsters with no resistance, you get no benefit beyond 17 points (100%)
For monsters with 25% resistance (NM Meph) the “cap” is 22
For monsters with 33% resistance (Embalmed in Ancient Tunnels) the “cap” is 24
For monsters with 50% resistance (NM and Hell Baal, cows) the “cap” is 27
For monsters with 75% resistance (Hell Meph) the “cap” is 32

So, it really comes down to where you plan to run her. (As a note, the Embalmed are the only regular monster in AT with any resistance to cold, so for the others, 17 points will max the damage from cold mastery.) Of course, boss monsters can get extra resistances to cold.

3 Likes

This. If you care to use Infinity even while you’re specced cold (as oppposed to lightning) like I do because I change my build whenever whimsy strikes–it’s a 1 point wonder when stacked with conviction aura. Really gives you a lot of freedom! =)

Infinity won’t straight out break near as many cold/fire immunes, but it still can here and there. It makes going dual or tri element a possibility.

I am a LONG way away from an Infinity. Im running into issue sin Act 2 Hell atm with some of the cold + fire resists. Trying to get the head piece for the staff and Im dying over and over.

You dont really need to go tri ele if you have infinity. On the other hand having infinity kinds if defest the purpose of going tri elements

1 Like

I was planning on going Orb/Lightning when I got Infinity. Right now Im Orb/Wall and running into difficulties in A2 Hell mid content. Anyway I can link my gear somehow here for comments?

Just out of curiosity. If you wielded Doom (-60% cold res) with stacked Cold Facets up to -100% cold res from head, body and shield.

How does it work with Infinity wielded Merc and perhaps a decked out +skills to reach lvl 37 Cold Mastery?

Is this still not enough to make a difference to Hell cold immunes?

No if their resistance is over a certain level it cannot be broken period. I forget the exact number, but it applies to a lot as far as cold and fire is concerned.

Cold mastery and equipment lower resist are passive LR, they only work when mob is not immune to cold. In order to break immune you need conviction or lower resist curse.

Conviction from infinity isnt enough to break most of the cold immune in hell, so even if you equip doom on your sorc, as long as infinity not breaking immune, doom’s lower cold resist would not function.

Claw Vipers are just a nightmare in general. You can help your merc kill the FI/CI monsters with static field and telekinesis. (Telekinesis can keep mobs hit recovery locked making things safer for the merc.)

1 Like

If you set up your build and gear in maxroll’s d2planner, you could link that here. Once you get it set up, go to the Save/Load tab and save it and it will give you a link to your saved setup.

https://d2.maxroll.gg/d2planner/

You won’t be able to post links, but you can post it as Preformatted text instead by putting ticks before and after it like so `https://d2.maxroll.gg/d2planner/\` and that will let you post it (otherwise it will block links in your post if you aren’t trust level 3)