What is wrong with people!?

Wow… All I am hearing across social media and the internet is that Blizzard is a failed company, Diablo mobile sucks, Blizzcon was terrible, blah, blah… Do people even hear themselves right now?? The gaming community has become so ridiculously entitled and whiny it’s sickening.

First, it’s not possible for Blizzard to announce a new AAA title EVERY single year! These games take TIME to make, especially at the quality that we like them to be at. Second, if you don’t enjoy a particular game, DON’T PLAY IT! No one is forcing anyone to do anything. Blizzard is a BUSINESS! They’re going to do what they perceive as the best way to deliver good games to interested people (and with a lot more metrics and stats to backup their actions) but they also want to make money just like every other company in existence. Third, I missed the memo that somehow magically makes it that because they’re building a mobile game means they’re NEVER coming out with another sequel again. Seriously?? And this comes from most people that haven’t even tried the damn game yet…

Sigh… the gaming community really needs to get off their high horse and calm the F down.

I think you have failed to see why the community is upset , it’s the way this has been managed which has caused upset , there was a lot of hype around Diablo this blizzcon , the high percentage of the community are pc gamers and always will be , for blizzard to announce just a mobile game and say nothing of and further pc content is what has caused so much upset , people play on pc so they can sit in discord or other chats have a laugh with their friends and guild mates whilst playing that is why people are pc gamers you lose all that on mobile.

F.

They failed because they put a very VERY weak, EXTREMELY CONTROVERSIAL ‘announcement’ at their flagship slot.

If they’d slotted it in with a simple 10 second ‘Diablo 4’ logo reveal at the end, then fair play. But they didn’t. They focused on that garbage…

When you understand why people are upset, you come back and try again, ok?

Yes we are a whiny bunch, but its all for a reason. If we are upset and stayed quiet how will they know they upset the fans, crossed the line, and pushed things in a wrong direction? While I am actually guessing they wont actually care, because blizzard is a public traded stock, and their shareholders have a much greater say in what happens.

We are not expecting Blizzard to announce a AAA game every year, they already have a poor track record on game creation and time release. Yet, this Diablo announcement was utter garbage. 2017 they took a pass on any Diablo coverage, the game has been dead for months, and its a dying IP thanks to the actions they have taken.

Their focus has been on the competitive scene as its bringing them in a ton of money. You are also very wrong on the idea that they are not rolling out a squeal, we are expecting it. The mobile game just allows them to push back that announcement for 2019, with a release date of 2020 / 2021 at the earliest. So to put this into a different preservative lets view it this way.

Diablo Release Date : 1996
Diablo Hellfire Release Date : 1997
Diablo II Release Date : 2000
Diablo II LoD Release Date : 2001
Diablo III Release Date : 2012
Diablo III RoS Release Date : 2014

At this rate, 2025 might be a reasonable expectation for a D4 announcement.

do you hear yourself? complaining that paying customers are complaining about the future of franchises they have invested in?
As apocalypse correctly stated, building up hype when they should have known Diablo fans would expect a real game, only to slap them with mobile trash should have been a known outcome.
Devoting prime time slots to a side show makes for a poor performance and the paying audience is reacting. Deal with it. Paying customers are what keep blizz or any other company in business and thus those who produce anything need to be in tune with those paying the bills.
We dont owe blizz our devotion or our money. They should be expected to earn it. thats how great things get made. settling for mediocre is how you end up driving a Yugo and spending endless hours playing infinite iterations of candy crush.

You hit it on the head. It’s about the shareholders. Shareholder want growth and they want it now. Activision Blizzard stock is weak. NetEase is huge in Asia markets. Hearthstone was successful on mobile. Why wouldn’t a Diablo title?

They don’t have to (although it has bee YEARS since a new Diablo game or expansion came out). People are not upset that the game might be bad. The issue is what they did announce AND how they treated their community.

What they announced, to a convention of PC gamers, was a mobile game. Is the mobile game in and of itself bad? They didn’t give enough details (such as pay structure) for me to know that. I know that it is a reskinned game, because I have seen videos with the exact animations and UI as what they showed made by the same Chinese company that they “collaborated” with for this game. But I might be able to get past that if the game is good and is not P2W like most mobile games. But this was not an announcement for Blizzcon. Every Diablo game is either a PC game or a PC plus console game. Predominately a PC game. Every Blizzard game is playable on PC, with only ONE having a mobile option, and only TWO having console options. So at an event where almost everyone there would be playing a Blizzard game on PC, for a game franchise that a majority of the players play on PC, they announce a mobile only game. This was an announcement for a general gaming/tech convention, not Blizzcon.

But then, to make matters worse, the way they treated their community at the panel was terrible. They were openly smirking on-stage at people’s reactions. When asked about a PC version, they laughed at it and had their “don’t you all have phones?” response. They either A) don’t remotely understand why people would be upset about this, which makes them ignorant, or B) don’t care.

And finally:

Yeah, if only there was an event, with panels, that are traditionally named something like “Diablo: What’s Next,” where they could have said literally anything about what else is going on. They didn’t. Blizzcon is the time to announce that. They could have spent half the time they did on the announcement and then TOLD US what else is being worked on, even if they had little or nothing to show for it.

This needs to be posted everywhere. A lot of people are complaining without giving reason other then “mobile sucks”. The actual, logical reasons need to be made clear so that people understand the reason why everyone is upset. I was going to make a similar post, but then I came across this. It’s exactly the way I see it, and I feel almost everyone who is mad will agree.

F
Another white knight

If there isn’t a big AAA release “EVERY single year”, don’t charge people $50-$200 for a ticket to see nothing. If they had been upfront and/or just skipped Blizzcon again, people wouldn’t be as upset.

Every year? WTF you saying? Last Diablo Game was D3 2012. That is 6 years ago doofus. Sure, you can say it was a 10 year span from D2 to D3, but lets be honest here, D3 was scrapped and remade into a piece of garbage. (Talk about Quality products LMAO D3 at release was far from a quality product).

In all honesty the Diablo 3 we know today was made in about 5-6 years. (It was announced in 2008)

Not gunna even mention the expansion because you plainly said a NEW AAA title.

If they can’t announce something every year they shouldn’t have a Blizzcon every year. They have skipped years in the past haven’t they?

Xylord, unfortunately you’re expecting too much from the Internet community.

The culture of privilege and complaint that the anonymity that the internet provides makes people feel they have the right to be as toxic and volatile as they can be without the fear of any kind of social repercussion. People don’t have to take any time to think about things but just immediately act on impulse and emotional gut reaction, calling things “horrible, trash, insulting, etc…” It’s like children with no sense of restraint.

But this isn’t bad enough, many also can’t be satisfied to just talk about how they dislike something, they have to actually attack the people related to it, going as far as making disparaging claims they have no actual factual basis for, and even as far as making threats.

It’s also the fact that you have to realize most people are incredibly short sighted, impatient and self absorbed. They see something that isn’t exactly what they want or think they should be getting and can’t see any elements outside of their own personal needs and tunnel visioned desires. The fact that a company, Blizzard in this case might try to do something that they might not enjoy, means they are personally being ignored/invalidated/insulted. Their rampant consumer narcissism won’t let them objectively evaluate such things.

Blizzard has every right to try to expand their brand and try to be successful in a new and expanding market. What people are doing here is saying “What are you doing, I don’t like playing games on my phone! I won’t take the time to acknowledge there are a lot of people out there who do, because no one but I and my opinions matter!” or "What is Blizzard doing trying to court the massive Chinese market?(which relies quite a bit on mobile gaming) “They should ignore all those potential millions of players because, I an “American/European/Insert nationality here” matter more!”

Many people can be incredibly short sighted, and they can’t see big picture issues. For Blizzard putting their IP’s out in more markets for people to become familiar with, therefore gaining more customers is a good move for the health of their company.

Often people can’t see past today, and realize that if the new Mobile Diablo game does expand the brand and bring in more profit for Blizzard, the company can put that money to good use. For example… putting those proceeds into developing the best possible version of let say Diablo 4! I see people also complaining that the mobile game isn’t even being developed by Blizzard, and fail to appreciate that means Blizzard can put their manpower into working on something they might actually want to play. But people are impatient, and need immediate gratification with any news involving their interests.

That all being said, yeah people can be upset about this, there is nothing wrong with that, but it’s the way people react to these things that is the problem. Obviously you can only expect so much from younger children and teens due to lack of emotional control, but adults should be able to be rational and consider things with a clear head, (“should” being the key word here)

Now Blizzard is liable for the quality of the products they put out, and if the mobile Diablo game is your typical poor quality, cash-grabbing “free-mium” trash you find so commonly on the marketplace, then they should definitely be held accountable. Personally I will wait and see how things shake out, and reserve my judgement for once I’ve actually tried out the game. Would I prefer a new Diablo game for my computer? Yes, but considering the mobile game is a NEW Diablo game I’m willing to at least give it a shot, while I wait for whatever Blizzard has coming down the line.

That is not what people are saying. If they had announced this solo, or done it at a general gaming/tech conference, this would not be an issue. Blizzcon is an event for people already invested in Blizzard games. Blizzcon is not an event for reaching new audiences or “expanding their brand.” It’s for the people already involved in their brand. Diablo players going to Blizzcon are PC and console players, if they’ve been playing since before D3, they are complete PC players. To tell these players “hey, you won’t be able to continue playing this franchise on the platform you’ve been using for the past 22 years but we’re trying to expand to this new market” is a massive slap in the face.

And how they treated the crowd? How they are treating the current playerbase? It’s insulting. They want to make a mobile game? I have (almost) no issues with that. (I say almost because if this is as P2W as most mobile games, I do have a problem with that).

But to not have an option to play on PC? To answer that question with “don’t you all have phones” was insulting.

To tell the current players that the mode they’ve been able to play since D2 (hardcore) is “not a good fit for this game” is a slap in the face.

To just openly smirk on stage at the current playerbases’ reaction sparks anger.

I’m sorry, you can’t just pass this off as “white euro/american gamers are being selfish.” You don’t come to Blizzcon or buy a virtual ticket as a current Diablo (or any game) fan to be told that YOU don’t matter, the new market matters. You come to find out how this game franchise you love is going to continue FOR YOU.

You completely missed the point here.

First, it’s not possible for Blizzard to announce a new AAA title EVERY single year! These games take TIME to make, especially at the quality that we like them to be at.

Definitely not, good games take time to create. Most gamers expect that at this point, and we need to be patient.

Second, if you don’t enjoy a particular game, DON’T PLAY IT! No one is forcing anyone to do anything. Blizzard is a BUSINESS! They’re going to do what they perceive as the best way to deliver good games to interested people (and with a lot more metrics and stats to backup their actions) but they also want to make money just like every other company in existence.

I stopped playing Blizzard games I didn’t enjoy, now I’m left with Overwatch. Which is probably the best Blizzard game currently because it actually has developers that care abou the players.

Of course Blizzard needs to make money with their game, but they are doing it through ways that players don’t necessarily agree with or enjoy, such as Loot Boxes, or extending a WoW subscription by adding endless grinds. Players are catching onto that and that’s really why people are not willing to give money to Blizzard.

After Blizzcon, I’m getting my refund. It was a crappy experience, compared to the previous 2 which were magical.

Third, I missed the memo that somehow magically makes it that because they’re building a mobile game means they’re NEVER coming out with another sequel again. Seriously?? And this comes from most people that haven’t even tried the damn game yet…

I never heard of that one. The Diablo team I think have said numerous times that they are working on multiple projects. We already know two of them. Diablo Immortal and Diablo 3 on Switch.

Sigh… the gaming community really needs to get off their high horse and calm the F down.

Welcome to the internet, where all people do is cry and feed trolls.

Wait a second…

I see you are a part of the problem.

So which is it then… a business or a community? Also sounds like you don’t think people can have an opinion which makes you sound very whiny and entitled. Do you even hear yourself right now? “Don’t play it!” oh on that you can be sure but you need to untie your undies and realize that your not god of the forums and peoples opinions matters equal to yours

People upset = People not buying games = Blizzard not making money = Blizzard failing. Your fanboy logic doesn’t work here. We grew up on good Blizzard games. Now they have casual mobile games and space hamsters. GGWP Can’t remember the last time I’ve ever been like “Good job Blizz!”

While the “Blizzard is a failed company” stuff is just melodramatic garbage, the Diablo thing really was Blizzard being 100% tone deaf to Diablo players.

Keep in mind Diablo III development actually began in 2001. Four years later it was still in bad shape to the point Blizzard North was shut down and development was moved to Blizzard’s main complex. Even then it was another 3 years before it was announced and another 4 before it was released.

Since then we’ve had 1 expansion, a second one that was cancelled, and a new class pack across the last six years. Other than that it has been boring wash-rinse-repeat seasons.

As someone pointed out, Blizzard players are PC for the most part. They didn’t come to hear about a probable Pay-to-Win game that they play on phones which may not be able to handle it given we’re keeping our phones longer and longer. They want to hear about the next adventure in Sanctuary after the fall of Diablo, and Malthael’s destruction of the Black Soulstone which presumable released Diablo, Mephisto, and Baal.