Lackluster Blizzcon

I love everything Blizzard, but from my point of view it feel that coming out of the event this year felt empty compared to years past. Which really mirrors most of 2020.

Many games, like Hero’s of the Storm, Starcraft, and (surprisingly) Overwatch felt left in the wings. Diablo had a great showing, but I felt Blizzard was hanging their hat on Diablo showing strong to balance the scales against an overall lackluster event.

While the past year has been unprecedented. I feel it would have been better to delay or just skip the event again this year instead of trying to cobble something together.

While it might be comparing apples to oranges. I feel Nintendo did in an hour with their Direct last week what Blizzard couldn’t accomplish over 2 days.

Something to sate the community as we head into, at least in my perception, a drought of radically new content. Focusing their investments in safe directions like Hearthstone expansions and World of Warcraft subscription numbers, but failing to innovate on the rich and diverse worlds they steward and take that next exciting step.

2 Likes

I agree with you, and J. Allen Brack is not the “charismatic” leader that Mike Morhaime was. Bracks’ video introduction seems flat and lacked excitement about Blizzard overall. I also don’t ever recall a Blizzcon where they didn’t actually introduce a game. It’s like they’re resting on their laurels, or not really showing what the future looks like from their perspective.

And Diablo? no ship date (other than the same disasterous “End of 2021” that Warcraft 3 Reforged had).

The luster, for me, is fading, unfortunately.

1 Like

The difference is, Mike Morhaime genuinely cared about Blizzard and it’s games. J. Allen Brack, however, has a hard time even pretending to care.

2 Likes

The difference is, Mike Morhaime genuinely cared about Blizzard and it’s games. J. Allen Brack, however, has a hard time even pretending to care.

I dont know if that is true but it certainly looks like that. Even for an outsider.

1 Like