Wrongly banned immediately after purchasing

Purchased Diablo 2 and LOD Expansion and installed the game today to play with a friend but was unable to connect to Battlenet. Submitted a ticket after seeing many people had this issue and after waiting several hours for a response I was told my IP was banned for using a VPN, which I never use and don’t have installed on this computer. Customer service marked the issue resolved after giving me the response below and now I can’t play for at least two weeks apparently. I was connected from my home network which I use to play multiple other Blizzard titles without issue. So I just spent $24 CAD on a 20 year old game only to get auto-banned by what appears to be a broken security system. Absolutely unacceptable customer service, never been this disappointed with a purchase in my life. Used PayPal to purchase so will likely dispute the purchase and get a refund if not resolved.

"Game Master Ixzal here and I can totally understand how this situation with Diablo 2 would be confusing.

After taking a look, it appears that the IP you were using to connect to the game was temporarily suspended and as a result, the CD key has also been suspended for 2 weeks.

This was likely due to using a VPN, hosting / cloud service or a business / enterprise connection, which can cause a temporary restriction.

As this penalty is an intended function by the Diablo 2 Admins, this isn’t something that be reduced or removed. You will need to wait for the suspension to be over and try again without any other programs running.

If this happens again without any VPN software etc then this may be due to something the ISP is doing, such as using a hosting / cloud service or a business / enterprise connection.

You would want to contact them to confirm and use an alternate network like a mobile hotspot going forward."

1 Like

Can’t say I’m surprised. The security systems on old bnet are ancient garbage. My CD keys from my actual physical CD disc set that I bought when I was 15 got banned one day because someone auto generated an identical key and sold them. Woke up one day to my account being in use, then banned for grey market sales. Blizzard took no action.

Ya it’s pretty disappointing but you’re right, not surprising. Post up for over 5 hours with no attention from Blizz so I’ve submitted a refund claim with PayPal and hopefully I at least get my money back. Will definitely make me think twice about buying more Blizz games in the future.

I had this problem i logged in at first with a VPN on (not realising it auto banned you ) . i then downloaded the EnUS versions of d2 and the LOD, instead of the ENGB, reinstalled i then hard reset my hub and set it up, this changed my ip, and let me log back in, (making sure the vpn was off this time)

this is the download link that helped fix it for me