Temp ip ban help

Hello,

I know there are many posts on this topic. I tried to login to battle.net from the guest network of a business, which I suspect led to a temporary ban. From what I have read, this should have been a 2 week ban. This happened on the first of november, but I still cannot login. Anyone know what might be going on, or can anyone from the support team tell me when this ban should expire?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hey ExilMe,

If the login occurred on Nov 1st, then the restriction should lift in 2 weeks on 15th. The lift will be the same time as your log in on the 1st.

1 Like

Just wanted to confirm, it looks like it may have been triggered again the next day. The restriction will be listed on the evening of the 16th.

hi im also temp banned because forgot to turn my vpn off. is it true that if i check to see if im unbanned by trying to go on b net the ban will be longer? im really itching to play online again and don’t want to extend what already feels like a life sentence

Confirm , when you are going to fix the queues on US east

As long as the VPN is off, you can log in to check if the suspension is over without issue. If the VPN is on when you do, it will reset the suspension timer.

1 Like

Am I seriously understanding correctly that if you attempt a login with a VPN for reasons completely unrelated to gaming that you’re automatically blacklisted for two weeks with no possibility of appeal?

And the way one finds out about being blacklisted, and about the existence of this policy, is a forum post?

Our temporary restrictions support article and forum post goes through this in more detail. The technical support agents on this forum can only assist with technical issues that can be resolved through troubleshooting. While we report on some situations outside of this, such as temporary restriction information and the queue issues, we are not the developers or engineers. These forums are managed by the technical support team and may not be as closely monitored as the general discussion forums for feedback and suggestions, please head over to #diablo-ii-general-discussion or the appropriate forums listed on the welcome thread for other games.

No no, I’m not blaming you, this has been more helpful than anything offered by devs and I appreciate it.

I will however say that this is insane and I will be telling everyone I know about my awful experience, not because I expect any response but because I’m in awe of how wretched this system is.

Feedback for the broader team. Sorry you have to deal with this.

I’m not sure what you mean here. I’d suspect that logging into the game would be for gaming reasons, with or without a VPN active.

If you mean having a VPN active on the system without attempting to log into D2, that won’t result in suspensions. It’s just the D2 login attempt where the game service checks for a VPN.

Yes, I was routing everything through a vpn and didn’t bother to turn it off before I tried logging in, because why on earth would I expect a two week suspension for this?

Eigenrobot,

The team is aware that the situation is not exactly ideal. While I can’t speak on their behalf, note that the game engine and server technology we use for battle.net are effectively 20 years old with some minor changes over time. A lot of the cool things we can do with our current gen games to prevent abuse and exploitation are simply not possible on this old coding, and that’s the intent of these measures.

I don’t have any ETA on modifications to the way the restrictions work (and if I did I couldn’t share details to prevent exploitative players from abusing that knowledge) but it is something they have the team looking into.

Appreciate the feedback anyway. While we can’t take it directly, anything further you have on this can go to #diablo-ii-general-discussion as that’s the appropriate forum for feedback.

Whatever you choose from here, best of luck.