Technical issues - Lag spikes at full FPS

Hello,

i just reinstalled wc3 and played my first 30 games since some time now. While the game itself is still super worth playing, I have some weird performance issues which never happened to me before, making the game kinda unplayable. Maybe someone out there knows about this and can help me.

Technical issue:

From time to time, without anything special happening ingame, i get huge lag spikes without my FPS dropping at all. My connection to the internet is fine. After the game, i drop from battle.net and I have to relog (I dont know if this is part of the problem). Since this issue is responsible for me losing games, the game becomes unenjoyable .

Steps I have taken to overcome the issue (I asked for help in streams and tried different solutions):

• turn out vsync ingame

• turning on fullwindow mode ingame

• start game with -windowmode fullscreen -graphicsapi Direct3D9

• start game with -graphicsapi Direct3D9 (found this in an official blizzard answer Blizzard Forums)

None of this helps, the game isnt running smooth. Right now, i still use the fullwindowed mode with vsync turned of, since I have the feeling that without these options, my mouse input is delayed. I played wc3 on this device like 1 year ago and didn’t experience any problem, so one of the recent patches might be responsible.

Hardware:

Im playing on a Thinkpad E570 with an Nvidia 950m. Probably not the best device for gaming, but: come on, shouldn’t wc3 be running on a Smartphone these days? I upgraded my Ram to 16 GB and added a 2nd ssd recently. Wc3 is installed on the 2nd SSD (this might be relevant?).

I really hope that anyone can help me. It feels really bad to lose fights to a big lag spike comming out of nowhere.

Greetings
MorbuS

1 Like

You might try opening a command prompt and run “ping www.google.com -t” and let it run in the background while you’re playing. As soon as you see a major spike, alt+tab switch over to it and see if your ping replies to google.com are spiking as well. This can at least let you do more to rule out a problem on your end.

Other than that, it may be a sporadic and momentary routing issue between your ISP and Blizzards network. It’s harder to troubleshoot or do anything about those issues. If you’re confident that there is a routing problem between your ISP and Blizzards network, you’d have to keep nagging your ISP about the problem, which may even be out of their control.

Good luck.

Hey there,
thanks for your advice. I tried this and aditionally used -graphicsapi OpenGL2 -nativefullscr without really knowing about the use of this. Didn’t experience any huge lag spike (and therefore, my ping kept being normal).
Can you explain why this command might have helped me? Or is this just random?
Greetings