🔧 Sven's Glide Wrapper Setup Guide

Greetings,

I’m posting this to share the settings I’ve found using Sven’s Glide Wrapper which works well with Diablo 2/LoD. I originally found these settings in a post on the old forums, however since Blizzard took the old forum down, that post is now impossible to find.

What is Sven's Glide Wrapper?

It is a piece of software that translates the Glide API commands to be recognized by OpenGL/DirectX, allowing modern graphics cards to run older games that use Glide for 3D acceleration.

Here is a Wikipedia article for more information about 3DFX Interactive.

Why do I need it?

Diablo 2 offers three graphics modes, DirectDraw, Direct3D and Glide. Diablo 2 was meant to run optimally with Glide.

DirectDraw is the default graphic mode that anyone without the wrapper will be using, and it has a few problems.
If you run full screen, it doesn’t maintain the 4x3 aspect ratio, so on modern wide screen monitors it gives the game a wide stretched look.
If you run windowed, the mouse isn’t locked to the game window, if you accidentally click outside of the game window, it minimizes. Gamma and brightness sliders don’t work, neither does perspective.
It is hit or miss on working properly depending on your graphics card and/or drivers.

Direct3D is also hit or miss on working properly, depending on your graphics card and/or drivers. Perspective works, the gamma and contrast sliders do not work. Also if ran in windowed mode, the mouse is not locked to the game window.

Glide/3DFX doesn’t work because modern graphics cards don’t support it.

With Sven’s Glide Wrapper, Glide becomes an option. You can run full screen while maintaining 4x3 aspect ratio (black side bars) and run windowed mode without fear of your mouse exiting the window. If Sven’s Glide Wrapper is configured properly, you regain all in-game video options such as gamma and contrast slider settings.

Is it safe to use? Will I get banned from Battle.net for using this?

You will not be restricted or banned for using a Glide wrapper. Blizzard has specifically added command line switches to Diablo II in order to use Glide wrappers. You have nothing to worry about.

Where to get Sven's Glide Wrapper

Installation

In the zip file, you’ll need to copy the glide3x.dll file into your Diablo 2 main install directory. You can easily find your Diablo 2 install directory by right-clicking your Diablo 2 shortcut, select properties and then click the “Open File Location” button.
You’ll also need to copy glide-init.exe which configures the glide wrapper settings. (This can be run from anywhere)

Sven's Glide Wrapper settings

(If you want to run full screen)
[Settings]
desktopresolution - Enabled

[Renderer]
texture-memory - 64MB
buffer-texture-size - 2048x2048

[Extensions]
GL_EXT_vertex_array - Enabled

(If you want to run windowed)
[Settings]
Window-mode - Enabled
Captured mouse - Enabled
window extras - Enabled
remember position - Enabled

[Renderer]
texture-memory - 64MB
buffer-texture-size - 2048x2048

[Extensions]
GL_EXT_vertex_array - Enabled

Once the settings are changed, just close out of glide-init.exe.
Unless noted, the default options are used. To reset Sven’s to default values, click “Restore default values” under sdt/export.

Configuring your Diablo 2 Shortcut

After you get the Glide wrapper installed and configured, you’ll need to add the following command switches to your Diablo 2 shortcuts “Target” field. This is done by right-clicking the shortcut icon, then select properties.

Target: “C:\Games\DiabloII\Diablo II.exe” -3dfx

Note the space between the end double quote of the target path and the -3dfx. Also note that the target path above is just an example, don’t change the path in “double quotes” within the target field, or the shortcut won’t work!

You're done, enjoy the game!

7 Likes

Ok, so I did everything you said, and still nothing. A question, though. When done ‘setting up’ the glide wrappers settings, do I just hit quite, or do I have to export or something for the changes to take effect?

I ask this because no matter what I type in/change, nothing seems to actually change in the way the game runs. Are there some command line arguments that don’t work together, or some limit on how many you can have?

I don’t use windows mode, as I use one mouse to control 5 computers, and using ‘mouse trap’ would ruin that.

I love that you are making a big effort to help everyone get this program, I’m just frustrated by it not working for me, lol.

And then, after all of that, and all the hassles and frustration and everything, I finally discovered what the problem was, and everything now works like it should have all along, lol.

This is a huge relief, and if the glide wrapper can solve the problem two of my other computers are having with D2 as well, that would be an incredible bonus.

You will never guess the mistake I was making, but it was so simple and basic I never thought to double check it and make sure.

Until just now, that is.

Any guesses?

shortcut typo for target?

1 Like

I do not. :slight_smile:

It was an even simpler error/mistake than that. :upside_down_face: :triumph: :weary: :confused:

You hadn’t downloaded it? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I typed in:

“- 3dfx”

as opposed to:

“-3dfx.”

:slight_smile:

So… the target area in your shurtcut had a typo lol probably top most common issue.

1 Like

Yep!

All the “Rage Uninstall” temptations, frustrations, getting up and walking away in disgust…

All because I left a stupid space in there, lol.

I suck at anything that requires anything at all smacking of even the most minor hint of computer literacy and/or knowledge, knowhow, or whatever.

Thank you all, for putting up with my idiotic stupidity, and eventually helping me to get this issue resolved, lol.

2 Likes

Hi all,

So I did everything in the instructions and made sure there wasn’t a typo in the shortcut, but it still won’t run? I get an error sound but no actual error pops up and the game never even starts. Everything is in the correct folder. Any ideas?

Can you run the game without the -3dfx switch?

No, I tried running without, and with “-w”, and with both “-3dx -w”

So far nothing works.

Can you open your Diablo II install location and try running “Diablo II.exe” and see what happens?

I just get an error pop up box that states “The application encountered an unexpected error. To help us identify the problem, please describe what you were doing when the error occurred.”

Then it gives me a report ID for my case to “send to Blizzard”

Were you able to run Diablo II before trying to set up Sven’s?

I can’t recall if I’ve tried to run D2 on this computer before. Could it be a hardware issue?

Are you able to play any other 3D accelerated games?

All I know is I can play all the other classic Blizzard games just fine.

Just to be sure your installation is up to date, try manually patching the game to the latest version. Select Diablo II on the pulldown, then download the appropriate patch for your installation.

Yup, I did that. Game is patched to 114