Starcraft Remastered doesn't launch on M1 Mac

The latest version of SC: Remastered (1.23.8.9373) doesn’t launch on a Mac Mini with an M1 processor. Please address.

4 Likes

I also can’t start it in M1 Mac.
Please help to solve it.

1 Like

also having this issue…would really like to be able to OG Starcarft :frowning:

Were you able to fix this problem?

Blizzard, would you please provide guidance on this matter?

This has happened since the last update. If the new patch won’t work would you please make the old version available?

1 Like

Blizzard team, this topic is open since months ago. Would you please help us?

1 Like

Same problem here “terminated unexpectedly” every time. I was never able to launch the game once. I tried every help under similar topics… Please help!

10-19-2021 at 8:50 PM - PDT

I’ve posted about this in the General Forum, but since this is a different Forum, (Mac Specific), I’ll repeat what I posted.

1.) I believe, (but have no proof), that the Rosetta Emulator CANNOT emulate OpenGL calls on the M1 ARM computers now being put out by Apple.

2.) OpenGL IS REQUIRED for StarCraft:Remastered.

Since the M1 Systems DO NOT have a Discrete GPU, but instead is built-in to the ARM Processor, there ARE NO OpenGL calls that work on the ARM Systems. So, Rosetta CANNOT emulate those calls and pass them on to the ARM GPU built-in to that Processor.

There are probably a myriad of other calls that NEED to be made by Rosetta to the ARM Processor, BUT CANNOT get put through to the ARM Processor due to incompatibilities between the old Intel Systems and the new ARM Systems.

After posting this in a similar Thread in General Forums, debate went back and forth, and initially my suggestions were ignored. However; NO Blue Poster came in to clarify or deny my thinking on this issue.

As there is NO real Team working on SC:R anymore, (NOT for engineering such as this requires), this problem MAY NOT get resolved to the satisfaction of the MAC Users in the Blizzard Community any time soon.

I would HOPE beyond hope, (as a MAC User and Hackintosh User myself), that this will EVENTUALLY get worked on and resolved. But I won’t hold my breath that such resolution will be any time soon.

My two Mac Pro Systems, (a 2010 5,1 and a 2008 3,1), are LOOOONG in the tooth. The 5,1 System is on Mojave, and has SOME life left in it. My GPU in that System is a Kepler, GTX-770 4GB Card. My Hackintosh ‘thinks’ it’s an iMac 27" 5K Retina - Mid 2017 System. It has a 28" 4K BenQ EL2870U Monitor connected via HDMI to an AMD-ATI Radeon Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB GPU. The Hackintosh CPU is an i7 7700K @ 4.2GHz, and the System has 32GB DDR4 RAM. The OS on my Hackintosh is also Mojave. My best bet to continue running StarCraft:Remastered will be the Hackintosh.

IF any of you still have an Intel MAC, I recommend holding on to it for a bit longer to run such games as StarCraft:Remastered. I also follow the WoW Forums, and the M1 seems to have some issues with WoW as well.

I wish I had better news.

Good Luck everyone,

TimeLord04

1 Like

Hello everyone,

This is a known issue that is currently being worked on. Please refer to the StarCraft: Remastered Technical Support forum thread below for updates:

This thread is now closed as it is specific to the Battle.net Desktop App on Mac systems. Please refer to the StarCraft: Remastered Technical Support Forums if you would like to report a different issue affecting StarCraft: Remastered.