Starcraft 2 Deepmind

Hi, I’m working at the moment on some research papers about the google deepmind approach by using starcraft 2. However I’m having trouble setting up the Linux environment as the blizzard client seems to crash in conjunction with the wine emulation. Is there a dedicated console only client of starcraft 2 available from Blizzard for neural network reinforced learning trainings? I assume deepmind used that or not?!? Can you provide some tips how to get starcraft 2 running with wine?I use the most recent version but until now I had no success…

1 Like

I am sorry to share this, but Blizzard does not support Linux for any of their games. They don’t make them for Linux and don’t provide tech support to help get them running.

It is a PC only game.

You are going to have to talk to members of the Linux community about getting it working under Wine. Maybe someone there can give you tips.

How did deepmind use starcraft 2. Did they use the windows version of it?!?

I don’t know. That would be between Blizzard and the folks who run Deepmind. Researchers don’t tend to make their methods public until they are published. Even if Blizzard did make a special client for them (I honestly don’t know), it would not be available to the public.

Edit - start here. There are some tools the Deepmind team released. However, that was 2017 and if Blizz changed the game client, you would need Deepmind to change the tools they made.

I found the github resources, for older versions a headless linux client exists. I wonder if there are newer versions available…