Should Blizzard embrace botting?

Evidently Blizzard is making money from botters. Maybe Blizzard should turn over the current D2 servers to botters and create a new set for nonbotters.

1 Like

No they shouldn’t embrace botting. If they created a new server for non-botters, botters would still go there in order to make a quick buck selling the items.

Blizzard needs to find a simple and fool proof way to stop botting, or at least make it very difficult to run a bot without frequent human interaction.

1 Like

The money blizzard makes from botters buying cdkeys is chump change compared to their other titles. It’s a drop in the bucket that’s not worth ruining their reputation for.

4 Likes

@Glyph RUIN THEIR REPUTATION of what killing there own game for actual players so the bots can keep playing, if you ask me they look absolutely foolish and helpless by doing this. I agree if bots piss you off kill them. Thats literally what i told my friends when we were leveling i cant wait til our characters are finished so we can just join bot runs and kill them on repeat.

1 Like

You realize a large portion of Diablo II’s demographic plays single player now right? Largely for the sole purpose to avoid bots.

6 Likes

The very reason I play single player and classic d2… Some of my no longer friends (because i don’t play LOD any longer) bot and they make probably 200 games a night while I’m playing. I can imagine all the drop items they collect doing auto runs all night. Gives the rest of us no chance to find anything… Go blizzard…

2 Likes

Should Blizzard embrace botting?

No, but they need to completely change the ineffective and damaging ways they have “attempted to fight botting” in the past that have literally only damaged the game for legitimate players.

Realm Down, Temp Restriction, Chat Muting, Game Creation limits, etc all must go. ALL of these things, bots do not care about and are programmed to get around. ALL of these things damage legitimate playstyles. In other words, literally ALL of Blizzards “Anti-Cheating measures” serve to enhance the advantage cheaters have over legitimate players.

Do I care if you bot, cheat, whatever? Absolutely not, it does not bother me at all. I don’t play the game that way, but if others want to have a bot play the game for them and then have no reason to actually log in and play themselves then that’s up to them.

However, when “anti-cheating” measures are extremely detrimental to players who AREN’T CHEATING and also COMPLETELY INEFFECTIVE at stopping or even deterring cheating then we have a big problem.

Diablo II was once my favorite game of all time, but it’s unplayable in it’s current state which is tragic. It really makes me hate the faceless people who have ruined it.

5 Likes

I could not agree with you more there, Earth. There are third party servers and mods that make the game enjoyable still. Check out MetaDiablo. (Disclaimer: I am a founder at said community) Basically the idea of the community is to pool information for players who enjoy the game and don’t want to lose that old spark! This is done by sharing information on other third party servers, tools, mods, and more. (The selection of actually recommending third party servers and such is done with a “technical analysis” and not just chosen willy-nilly.) For example, if a server fixed client side and server-side code problems and does so in a way that makes sense from an “engineering stand point”, then we are going to go ahead and recommend them. (popularity is also a factor, in the case of plugy/svens glide wrapper) Other factors include server uptime, and other data points. The idea is to become a reliable resource.

https://discord.com/invite/aM5rt2S

Oh, and we primarily turn our focus far away from botting.

Other than the chat muting, the other 3 you mentioned have nothing to do with botting prevention. They are about server stability. The way to prevent the 3 is to have a low latency internet and use the join game protocols. You can look up the Classic bnet latency requirements for D2 LoD and then check your provider if you have adequate latency. Bandwidth is irrelevant.

I agree, I was temp banned for 15 days for nothing. Blizz support kept responding to me telling me I was running a VPN, or I’m on a company intranet. I’ve been using the same IP for the entire 8 years I’ve lived in this town. Yet, botting still exists. I don’t think they are even trying to stop it; CD key sales have to be through the roof…

1 Like

At least they bothered to respond to you with a lie. They are simply ignoring me.

2 Likes

Other than the chat muting, the other 3 you mentioned have nothing to do with botting prevention. They are about server stability.

Don’t try to tell me it’s about “server stability”, because NONE of this BS was implemented until well after XPack release. Active player population was doubtlessly way higher then, and the servers were far more stable then than they are now. Oh yeah, and people were doing 20 second pindleskin runs in those days too. /YAWN @gaslighting.

1 Like

You play over wifi, don’t pretend to know what you’re talking about.

1 Like

OP and 50% of comments on this thread have never seen what D2 population looks like without bots. It wasn’t even long ago (winter 2017 ladder reset), everyone was screaming in joy as to how much fun they’re having. Servers had thousands upon thousands of active players, and the thrill of finding even a gul was overwhelming.

2 Likes

If your idea of 50-100 botters buying 4-8 cd keys each is considered good money, vs reviving a community of 20k+ players is not worth the effort, you must’ve failed grade school…

1 Like

Not sure who you are referring to, but there is still 20k players on d2. Botters still make it difficult for LOD players to find good gear. Most of the games on d2 are all bots. Almost ANY game you join that is chant or chaos or baal is run by a bot, anyone with a brain can see that… Not a single game is run by a player anymore like I used to host chaos games to help the lower lvls back in the day…

Judging by the scarcity of ban waves, Blizzard has embraced botting a long time ago.

1 Like