Restart and Update always displays even after it has updated

[UPDATE: July 19, 2023
This bug appears to now be fixed! Thaaank you!]

There is perpetually a green arrow over the Blizzard logo, top left of the Battle net launcher. When clicking the logo to view the drop down list it always displays at the bottom of the list, “Restart and Update”.

Selecting/clicking that closes the Battle net desktop app and relaunches the log-in window. After logging back in, the green arrow is still there, and the “Restart and Update” text is still there in the dropdown list. Seemingly, no updates actually happened.

2.20.1.14132 is the Battle net Version
2.27.7.8209 is the Battle net Update Agent Version

This issue was also reported last year. 2022 June thread in this same forum:
battlenet-app-keeps-asking-for-restart-and-update/24174

Exiting the desktop app, closing it in Task Manager, uninstalling it, deleting all relevant folders in APPDATA, TEMP, etc., downloading the app, and installing the app doesn’t fix the issue. I’ve done all of that multiple times, yet the issue persists.

******** UPDATE HERE because you won’t let me add a new Reply ********

I’ve repeated all of the steps to manually uninstall, stop the battle net update agent in Task Manager, delete multiple folders relevant to battle net and Blizzard, newly download the battle net desktop app, Run As Admin while clicking to install the app, Run As Admin while launching the app, and yet the “Restart and Update” bug persists indefinitely.

2.21.2.14215 Battle net Version

2.27.7.8209 Battle net Update Agent Version

When I do a trace route to Heroes Of The Storm (North America, U.S. West) there is 1 “Request timed out.” entry between Salt Lake City, UT and Los Angeles, CA. Total of 12 lines.

When I do a trace route to World Of Warcraft (North America, U.S. West) there is an additional “Request timed out.” entry 2 steps after the known one, for a total of 2 timed out entries. Total of 12 lines.

If there’s an IP address to test which is specifically for the Battle net Desktop App, I don’t know what it is or else I would test that IP specifically.

1 Like

I am having the same, and if you search for a year ago, many had the same June of 2022… Blizzard never replied and the thread just closed due to no replies. Crappy support. I presume we just have to ignore it forever because they don’t maintain their forum.

Yep. Until someone fixes the issue on their end, we’ll be left to ignore it because there’s no fix on our end.

Now that I’m back on the East coast and using a desktop computer instead of a laptop, the bug was immediately present on the desktop as well (it wasn’t happening on this desktop 7 weeks ago – before I traveled and switched to a laptop). The desktop app has been able to update (as evidenced by its Battle net Version), but the “Restart and Update” green icon arrow and text remain indefinitely.

2.22.0.14235 Battle net Version
2.30.7.8279 Battle net Update Agent Version

Trace route from East coast to the HotS / WoW central server (24.105.62.129) has 14 lines, but line 11 shows “Request timed out.” after 137.221.65.50 and before 137.221.69.53 while all the pings are reasonable, at 78 ms or lower.

1 Like

I am getting the same issue on my Steam Deck and my Arch Linux PC running Battle.net in Proton. Clicking Restart and Update closes the Battle.net window but keeps the process in the background indefinitely. I have to force quit the process. When launching the app again, it still shows that I need to do an update.

1 Like

“Nice” to see, that this isn’t exclusive to Wine/Proton.
Same Issue here :confused: Up-to-date Arch Linux with dxvk-git + vkd3d-git and latest Wine-GE (8-10).
Keeping this and other posts on the first page with replys as long as this stupid Bug exist >.<

1 Like

The issue persists. My OS is Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, OS build 19045.3086 and these are the currently installed B net versions:

2.22.0.14235 Battle net Version
2.31.0.8320 Battle net Update Agent Version

yeah I saw this on Debian recently and decided to give it a try on Windows and same issue. Whoever they have working there is clearly in over their heads.

Good news, everyone! The bug has vanished today! Thank you, Acti-Blizz coders!

2.23.0.14279 Battle net Version
2.31.0.8320 Battle net Update Agent Version

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.