Problems attaining downloader/soft banned for vpn login

Hi there

Super unsatisfied with my recent support ticket that was lodged. Starting with attaining the downloader for D2 and LOD; me and my friends (in Australia) had mountains of trouble attempting to get the downloader from blizzard. It would begin downloading, then fail. Re attempts would go slightly further and then fail “cannot connect” etc. Tried in multiple browsers, tried downloading it to a different location, on mobile internet instead of local etc. The fix was to use a vpn and put myself in Singapore.

Finally get the games downloaded, super stoked to play d2 (friends had no trouble getting online). Encountered a really common issue (according to forums) “DIABLO 2 YOU HAVE BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM BATTLE.NET”…

I tried connecting to US West enough times it will go to “Checking versions” and then pop up with an error “battle.net is not responding. Please try again in a few minutes”. D2 LOD is a legacy game, and the error is likely generic. In order to get around this, I did some digging and tried a heap of fixes involving compatability settings, port forwarding, running as admin and more. I made sure I was on the latest patch (I was: 1.14D).

I read online that some IP’s can be banned for 2 weeks for being associated with a business/VPN/proxy. I submitted a ticket to where the blizzard support agent simply told me I had used a vpn on my first login (after having to get the down-loader) and will have to wait two weeks. They were completely unsympathetic to the situation.
There was no warning on the blizzard site (near the downloader for D2) to warn about being banned for using a vpn, nor was there any consolation for the automatic ban - just… “too bad”.

I’m really frustrated, because a company that I’ve supported for so long offered me nothing in return, nor were willing to help when something had gone wrong.

3 Likes

It’s definitely one of the most moronic business practices I’ve ever witnessed. They’ve been sticking it to Diablo II paying customers on a daily basis since at least the announcement of Diablo Immortal. They have been doing it longer than that but the insane thing is they knew after the D:I and D4 announcements people would be wanting to reexperience D2 and in turn would be buying the game. They have known this kind of buying happens since they first announced Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2, which caused a major sales increase in the previous games.

If you want get a perspective of just how many people they have stuck it to, type ‘vpn’ in this forums search feature and in the tech support forum. The insane numbers are not even half of the numbers that were in the old forums.

And it’s like you said, all they need to do is make a warning window somewhere between the purchase and hitting enter to join bnet.

3 Likes

@Blizzard, I hope you read this and take heed, this needs to happen ASAP.