New Expansion for D2. Infinite progression via ReMorting

Incorrect, it has to do with the game in its entirety, which specifically says we are not to alter it in any way. Adding Ladder content to single player is altering the game and altering bnet game play.

No where has Blizzard instructed to go into the files of the game and extract ladder content files. If they wanted us to have that content they’d either provide a patch or there would be a hot key for it.

It is unauthorized ladder content and it is being reproduced and distributed without Blizzard’s consent. Ladder content btw is 100% owned by Blizzard and is protected via Bnet’s EULA.

Ladder content is unreleased data files not available through normal single player game play.

The Forum’s Code of Conduct states:

Posting Unreleased Content / Hacking Data Files

This category includes language and/or links to websites containing such language or images which:

• Show unreleased in-game items, equipment, or areas that have been unlocked by hacking into client data files
  • Show the results of hacking or any tampering of the game’s MPQ files
  • Discuss, or display any data not available through normal game play

If a player is found to have participated in such actions, he/she will:

• Be permanently banned from the forums

Your logic can be applied to a store or a house. Why would a store have windows if they didn’t want people to break into them and extract some of the contents and use it how they deem fit.

Why would car manufacturers 20 years ago make ignitions that allowed people to break into the car and start the car without a key if they didn’t want people to do that.

The moment that Blizzard’s Diablo 2 crew updated the game so that it can be played without the need for the cds, that was the best and most useful update. Anything else is just a bonus. But, I am a happy camper since the no need for the cds moment.

I think I can see where there could be problems, and I’m going to do my best (read as, I’m going to attempt, in my unskilled, uneducated, and amature way) to try to put things into perspective, and hopefully get some understanding to go around, so folks can get along.

So bear with me on this, and read it carefully, OK, everybody?

NOTE: “Level of Commitment” (LoC) is something I’m going to try to define, and it’s impact on D2 and Blizzard’s bottom line.

Let’s look at this situation, and try to figure out what is going on.

On the one hand, we have a guy @AtomicPunk that seems to know far more about how to play this game than I or many others on these forums. In fact, I’m very new here, and already have been threatened with what could be called elsewhere (read as, other forums across the internet), as “The Ban Hammer”, on what, my second or third day?!?!

Keep reading…

So, now enter Mr Bitler, a guy who is casually interested in D2 (Because it is fun enough to play, on Normal mode at least, where I don’t get slaughter fested instantly like in NM or Hell mode games ever since v1.10 came out, what with all the “Guest Monsters” and their incredible screens full of criss crossing, ranged attacks from off screen…) So, back in the days before v1.10 came out, I could confidently solo any act, on any difficulty level, with my badass Necromancer and his army of Revives. Then, battlenet/blizzard went and tried to make the game harder and more challenging (and in which task, they certainly succeeded), and so what happened is that they forced folks into two categories, those that would adapt too the new play style system, and everybody else. Now, years later we have the unhealthy situation where there is a huge rift between the vast majority, who don’t want to commit huge amounts of time to what after all is a mere game, and all of the other boring stuff that is getting tacked on all the time. If the GAME itself is no longer fun, because it’s difficulty in now being tailored to a very small crowd of fanatical, perhaps obsessive/compulsive levels of dedication in the remaining player base, that is of course their right. It’s their game, and they can make whatever choices they want.

Then comes the bad part, the game company starts to lose customers, because most folks (read as, likely the vast majority of the paying customer base out there) are not going to be investing their limited playing time in a game that they used to be able to play and enjoy, but now have to become increasingly invested in (time wise) just to try and stay current. Then add in all the patches that have come out since v1.10 was released, what, in 2004 of something? So for the last 15 years or so, I have not been able to play the version of the game where I was having fun and able to kick much monster/demon butt, online, because battlenet can only support on version at a time. While I understand the need to have a common ground for gameplay compatibility online, the unspoken concept is that all gamers must enjoy being forced to patch to some new version, even if they don’t want to change what was perfectly playable and enjoyable to their level of commitment to D2, and this is (and has been) going on for years now.

I realise that I’m rambling a bit here, but I’m not a writer, and my mind is no longer what it was, so please, again, bear with me.

Let’s talk about “Level of Commitment” & “Comfort Zones” for a second, and what these two thing mean in the larger context of the whole D2 thing.

Level of Commitment is something that is required to understand and master something, so in this case, online D2 play. But what else is there that takes up time involved in this? One thing that online play does, is force folks to play the most recent version of the game, and whether that version is something that they like more than the old version is of course unknowable to the paying customer at the time the download and patching process is forced upon them. In defense of this system, is that it really is needed to keep things up to date and all that, but what is not needed is that everyone lose the ability to play their older and prefered version(s) of the game. Enter single player mode. Folks that don’t want to be ‘challenged’ by new rules/methods/changes/balancing of their games, but instead just want a game that they can enjoy, and have fun playing with and whose rules they already know and like, have no choice but to play offline, and this situation is also ok, as far as this goes, but could be made better. Note my post about being able to pay $10 for a patch (for offline play) that allows a computer running the windows 10 operating system to make it possible for someone like me to enjoy any of the previous versions of D2, right from v1.00 to current, so that I can play the version of this great game that gives me the fun and enjoyment (which is the only reason to play a game in the first place, after all) which I’m interested in having.

Let’s try to visualize the problem then, as set up in the “Level of Commitment” mentioned above. Picture looking at the pacific ocean on bing maps. Notice all the islands. Islands are really the top most tips of undersea mountains, that are so tall as to extend all the way from the seafloor to sea level and above.

Let’s visualize @AtomicPunk as an island with a highest point 10,000 feet above sea level. This highest point is his LoC to all things D2 related. Now look down far below, and take notice of “Sea Level”, and let this represent the LoC of the casual gamer, and the vast majority of paying customers.

Let us take D2 online as it is now, in patch v1.14d, to represent the game as it has become, and is tailored for the folks that, like @AtomicPunk, are at a LoC far and away above where the casual gamer is. If Blizzard is going to make the online playing field the exclusive hunting preserve of those most dedicated of gamers, because they want to improve and upgrade the game constantly, fine and no problem. That is, so long as they make playing of the earlier versions of the game available for the rest of the paying customers, as that way, even though the majority of paying customers cannot play their prefered versions online, they can still enjoy those versions that they prefer offline.

I’m not a good writer, and so this may not be clear, and easy to understand, but I am trying, so again, please bear with me…

Now let’s take a look at SC2 real quick, so we can examine the trend in the flawed thinking and marketing of Blizzard Entertainment. They took a look at their masterpiece (D2), and the falling numbers of folks playing the game, and thought to themselves “We realize that many folks have stopped playing D2 online, and now just play single player, and so all our hard work at balancing and refining are going to be played only by a smaller and smaller audience. What can we do to fix this?”

Their response to this trend?

Make SC2 automatically log on to the internet, and force all players to download the latest patch/rules/version of the game. And to enforce folks actually playing with the newest version, we will TAKE AWAY a paying customers right to choose whether or not to update/play online, or play an older version offline. There, that will fix the problem, and now everyone will be on the same sheet of music (the latest version), and all is good with the world again, right???

Wrong!!!

Unfortunately for all of use that love one version or another of D2, the path that Blizzard choose didn’t solve the problem, but rather can up against a players LoC. If folks want their gaming time to be filled up with fun, and good camaraderie in game. So, what happened instead of the desired result that everyone would just suck it up and put up with constant patching/rule changes/and increased demands of their gaming time to re-learn how to play the game, and knowing that this was going to be the path forward, play the newest version, no choice, no option, just do it approach?

Let’s look at where Blizzard is at as a company today, laying off workers, and focusing major efforts on making mobile app games in the future.

Why?

Did SC2 and D2 fail? Are they to old to compete?

No.

What happened is, the folks at Blizzard Entertainment tried to force the casual gamers to rise up to the level of folks like @AtomicPunk, and commit to spending more time staying current and up to date, and this caused the mass exodus of the casual gamers from the game that force them to spend more time than their LoC and comfort zone allow. It really is as simple as that. It isn’t that folks are lazy, good for nothing, or any of the things exemplified by comments that @AtomicPunk has made, in this thread, in frustration and bewilderment and incomprehension, over most other folks lack of interest in putting this much effort into a game.

Blizzard done goofed, and chased away most of the casual gamers, and with them went their gaming $$$. This why Blizzard is now writing mobile apps, because they are now chasing after the $$$ of the casual gamers that have turned away from overly complex, complicated and time consumed games like what SC2 and D2 have become.

So, we see what has happened, Blizzard was trying to make the game ‘better’ for the “best of the best” among the player base (v1.10 to v1.14d) and in that they succeeded, but they failed in keeping the games required LoC low enough for the casual gamers to bother with it, and so those folks went the way of mobile app gaming, because those games don’t try to force them into an unacceptable LoC just to play them.

It’s very sad, and the solution is obvious, if we understand what is really happening. Blizzard is demanding the casual players to commit far more time to their games than they can/will do, whether this is because of time constraints imposed by their real life requirements, or just lack of interest in investing that much time in the game makes no difference to the result.

Constantly upping the level of commitment needed to stay ‘competitive’ when playing Blizzard’s online version of their great games is now, and has been for years, and will continue to until things change, drive away the casual gamers and their gaming $$$ from Blizzard’s games.

Do the programmers have to ‘dumb down the game’ for the casual gamers, so that we will stick around, and once again enjoy playing these games?

Absolutely yes! I want my 99th level characters, gosh darn it! And don’t waste my time with updates/upgrades/rule changes and all that gobbledygook. I just want the fun and enjoyment that I payed for!!!

Would converting battlenet over to playing some hypothetical ‘easy’ version of the game (as if one version could possibly satisfy all players) make folks like me happy? Yes, it could make me happy. Would it? That depends on several other things, like getting rid of all bots for starters, and ending the requirement to upgrade all the time. So in other words, No, converting battlenet to an easy version isn’t going to work, because they would have to stop with the tweaking/changing of things, as well, so never going to happen. Also would doing this completely alienate all the players that thrive on the current situation, IDK, but I bet the answer to that question would be a great big, resounding Yes! Am I interested in that happening to those players? No. I don’t think that would be fair to do to them. Would I want my version to be forced upon anyone else, no.

So, what am I on about? I want my version, for myself, because I want to be able to at least have the option to opt out of having my experience points reduced above 69th level as is currently being done. Give me a version for offline play, where there is a checkbox, that when checked allows me to turn off that one feature, and voila, now my 88th level Necromancer would have earned 99th level instead.

Basically, the situation comes down to this, either stop trying to force folks to commit far more of their valuable and limited playing time to your games, or give the casual gamer a seperate (offline) way to enjoy their prefered version of the game, or loose their business and the profits you could have had from them.

As a working theory, let’s assume that @AtomicPunk is a good person, that is behaving badly (in my mind and in others as well) by mocking, disrespecting, slighting, and annoying folks that post here, because he is frustrated by our lack of knowledge and understanding that he has not only of the game, but of the forums as well.

Working from that premise, let’s ask ourselves if my theory that he is someone that is at a level of commitment (to all things D2 related) far and away above most other folks, and look at his mention of documentation that everyone is supposed to know and obey. @AtomicPunk can quote chapter and verse of these documents, for he has them committed to memory!

Now let’s look at me…

Can I honestly claim, that I have ever, at any time, fully read and understood any EULA, ToS, or anything like that, whether for game installation or forum use (here or otherwise) in my lifetime? To be fully honest, while I was younger and healthier, maybe, just maybe, I did once upon a time, have the level of interest in order to try to make sense of these things. Since then, whenever I come across such things when installing a game, I just click, scroll down, click, and then install.

Does this make me an evil scumbag, slacker, or jerk? I don’t think so. Too me, this makes me joe average, who is not going to read an entire wall of text, in tiny font size, thank you very much, that even with my reading glasses on I have to lean forward to be able to make out, and be able to understand all of it even if I did take (waste) the time to read it all, there isn’t really any point, as I have to click on the accept button for the install to continue. One of my favorite lines in such documents is the one that goes something like: “We reserve the right, with or without notice, to change this document at any time…” which in my brain translates into “Even if you waste your time reading this document, and actually attempt to understand what it says, we can up and change it at any time, in any way we want, at our sole discretion, and we don’t even have to tell you about it, but can still claim that you had to abide by it…”

This isn’t about showing rebellion against whatever is in the document, this isn’t even a demonstration of the futility on trying to use such things to get folks to obey, but rather to simply point out, if folks are casual gamers, they’er not going to read that kinda stuff anyway, because they only care about getting their money’s worth of entertainment from the game they just bought. And this is just a small part of the larger problem with D2 currently, the guys that make the game assume that folks are going to have a level of commitment above and beyond what the majority of folks actually have, and then you have the folks that actually do commit huge amounts of time to not just learning how to master the game, but everything to do with the game as well, like all the documents mentioned above.

If the majority of the paying customers don’t have a LoC needed to get their money’s worth from Blizzard’s game, and then come to these forums without reading and memorizing (an abiding by) such documents, only to be mocked and scorned, and threatened with banning because they make a mistake, what is this going to do too the D2 community? Purge it of the evil, scumbag trolls, who don’t even take the time to…

Or is it going to cause Blizzard entertainment to lose the majority of the potential paying customers, because they demand a LoC beyond what most folks will give, like reading EULA’s and such?

A case in point, some time back I logged into a forum and made a post, and when I came back to check for replies, there were a couple, one of which, started off like a helpful post, and then got around to telling me to engage in some painful, sexual related perversions. I won’t even try to remember all that was said, but needless to say, I consider someone doing something like that to be a huge no go, and easily deserving a ban for such a thing. If I were to be banned for what I did, that would be like onto saying: “Bitler, you are no good, and just as bad as the fellow that typed obscenities in reply to your request for information way back when” and then the Ban Hammer falls, and an otherwise willing paying customer, who’s awful crime was not giving a game and all it’s rules and such the time they demanded…

I see battlenet online play as unacceptable (to me) for a variety of reasons, which is why I play offline instead. The difference that really matters is, am I still going to be a paying customer, because Blizzard comes to realise that their mistake was trying to force folks to spend entirely too much time on their games and corrected this by making it possible for me to play alone, offline, and using the version that I want, or are they going to drive me and all the other casual gamers away entirely?

One time on battlenet, I joined a series of Hell mode games thinking to quickly get the last few XP needed to reach the next level up, but the servers were so laggy and out of sync, I died, over and over and over again, to monsters that were not even showing up on my screen, except when I was suddenly laying there dead!

Why did this happen? I’ll tell you what I saw in one game, and then you will know what it was all about. I was going after a “Wirt’s Leg”, to play me some hell bovines, and came upon one of those little abandoned dwelling things that occur in some of the act one maps. As I approached, I noticed something odd. There was a line of things dropping from thin air, filling the ground beneath it, and heading my way! I looked at this in bewilderment, and then the game got so slow I once again died to monsters suddenly being right over my corpse. On that day, I lost all of the XP I had earned so far, and basically had to do it all over, because some hackers had found a way to cheat.

On another day, I was playing on Battlenet once again, and died over and over and over again, this time due to multi colored, multi line messages suddenly appearing and filling my screen with offers of hacker scum items for sale on their hacker scum sites, and as I couldn’t see the actual map very well, I died that day, too.

My last time trying to play online on Battlenet, I had discovered a thing called youTube, and something called streamers, and one of them had the idea to run with a legit group that was going to make D2 great again. Reading up on his ideas for co-op play, playing legit, playing together, I thought to myself, YES! Finally some one to get folks rallied around legit, co-op playstyle.

I made an Enchantress, and expected results like years before, where everyone was going to want my chant! Needless to say, not only did no one want my chant, I couldn’t even get folks to play with me. And why>

Bots!

Why waste your time with some fellow player actually running with you, when you can just follow some bots and level up to 90+.

So much for the legit, co-op play that was supposed to be going on.

That was basically it for me and Battlenet. SInce that time, there have been other changes, like having to {Perm} a character, having to worry about your characters {Expiring}, getting kicked off/out of game for being inactive for to long, or being kicked offline for quitting and rejoining to many games.

None of those things happen offline.

Blizzard can still earn my gaming $$$, and all they have to do is realise that for the casual gamer, who cannot/will not commit to a huge amount of time to learning/relearning D2, is to give us the ability to play the versions we want, offline.

Does this cost Blizzard anything? No, instead it increases revenue from an old game, that they already paid to make. Will I ever buy anything from Blizzard again, if they continue down the path of online-only gaming, and to heck with guys (potential paying customers) like me, that don’t care at all about trying to be at a ‘world class’ level of play, and wanting to opt out of games being tailored to the liking of the “best of the best of the best”?

Not a chance.

And keep in mind, it isn’t a choice between high end play vs dumbed down gaming, but rather letting the casual gamer remain a paying customer and playing casually offline.

Character level 88 is about 1/100,000 of the way to 99. Clvl 93 is where the real game and character building starts, characters below that are nothing more than infants with next to no experience speaking baby gibberish. Goo goo gah gah.

lol.

In all seriousness though, unless I screwed up the math (which is of course possible, perhaps even likely) a level 88 character now needs to have earned 3.591 billion experience points, and with the supposedly 3.520 billion needed for 99th level, anyone who has earned 88th right now, would (and should) have had level 99th level guys.

This is of course assuming that Blizzard would make the less than world class level of game for those of us that cannot commit more than a maximum 8 hours of D2 playing in a week. The wife and kids and grandkids need my time too, you know. And to do this, they just need to delete from the single player code the reduction after 69th level that they use online.:smiley:

Blizzard isn’t going to change their masterpiece to aid grandpa play a video game through his golden years.

Maybe, maybe not, lol.

It sure would be nice though, after what, 20 something years, to finally have the ability to get too level 99 for once!

The only thing I would want then is to be able to play v1.00 on a windows 10 desktop, so I could once again gamble an SOJ! In all these years, I have killed many monsters that dropped unique rings, but never once that particular one, lol.

If it’s any consolation, I nodded off over a half dozen times when writing that big post, lol.

Everyone has and always had the ability, unless of course they are constitutionally incapable. For some it takes 2 months others it takes a year, the key is to have the desire to do it and the fortitude to do the work. Anyone who doesn’t, doesn’t deserve 99.

Just out of curiosity, how long to you think, playing at your level of proficiency, would it take you to hit 99 on average? Would there be a difference in time invested in different classes/builds?

Well, I do play hardcore so there is next to no room for error. My flaws are that I’m a reckless player, I forget to BO and I’m easily distracted by creative thinking while grinding. I also sometimes play while tired which has lead me to disastrous mistakes over the years.

My goal with the current hc single player barb is to solo level to 99 with only self-found gear. I’m only playing a couple of hours a day.

To answer your question… we shall see.

I stopped trying to level after reach level 93.

Reaching level 99 has never been my goal. The only reason why I even bothered to go to level 93 is for purpose of gambling.

I am also a lousy player. My mouse precision is poor.
My finger reaction is slow.
I frequently forget to use an “pre-full skill” prior to entering a fight (ie: forgot to BO, or forgot to ask frozen armour, etc…).
I also have crappy internet connection at home (my average ping response time is 200-300, so I can’t just spam teleport, but instead have to “teleport-pause-teleport-pause, etc…” or else the game just gets wracked out of sync)
Add in that sometimes I get overly aggressive (or some may call it reckless) which lands me into undesirable pack of monsters that gets me killed.

So I stay in softcore for that reason and have absolutely no desire to go hardcore.

I don’t mind ladder resets, but it does mean I only get to experiment 1-2 different builds per season.

I certainly don’t mind Blizzard giving us the ability to simulate a ladder experience in single player so I can play at my own pace and not have to worry about a ladder time clock while being able to do /players 8 rather than having to put up with public CBaal games that are created by bots.

I really miss the old days when the games had 8 real players, but now days it is impossible as all public CBaal games are created by bots. So either I have to enter a bot created game if I want to gain 8 x experience or I am stuck with creating my own game where I gain 1 x experience because none of my friends are playing now days. I’d rather not just leech experience from the bots, so usually the “work around” I do is to enter a public CBaal game but purposely go to a less popular area (such as WSK or Cold Plains) just so I can still fight tougher monsters and gain more experience while not just tagging behind a bot to leech experience.

This is leeching off bots, they also benefit from you being in the game.

I also am no expert, and that leeds to the question, “What has 93rd level got that 92nd level doesn’t?” I have gambled before, in various patches over the years, but never really read up on all that I should.

I hear ya on that. I am blessed in that my internet at least is usually good enough to play, most any time I care to try. The worst time I died uselessly, I had taken off all my gear that boosted and skill or stat, so I could look at my ‘naked’ character. I then got a phone call, and talked for most of an hour, came back and had to check something out, then got distracted and ended up watching a youTube video or three, fell asleep, woke up, and remembered that I wanted to play my character 1-2 more runs to gain the level, popped out the WP, and got killed trying to teleport away without enigma on!

I to have zero interest in working on a character and then losing them forever, so hardcore has as much interest for me as PvP or PK’ing does.

You and me both! I used to love playing open (closed bnet, non passworded) games on battlenet, and being able to play people from all over the world, but have to acknowledge that those days are gone for good. Even if Blizzard got rid of the bots totally and forever, there are still things that would drive me away from online play unless they to went away. Here are some of my pet peeves:

1. Perming a character and Expiration. Rather not be forced into doing this. Offline I create a guy and he is immediately good to go, and he lasts forever, with none of the ‘Expires in so many days’ junk right at the start, and then if you don’t play them for a long enough time, it starts that timer up again. Cannot say how many characters I have lost to that over the years.
  2. Being Temp Banned for quitting and rejoining games (Muleing). Looking at this from the perspective of someone responsabile for running a network, this and #1 make sense, and so I don’t call for them being removed, rather, I list them as reasons that I will always be choosing to play offline as the prefered mode of play. I cannot say how many items I’ve lost to this function added into the game, but It doesn’t happen in single player games, so one more reason not to play online.
  3. Limited characters on an account. Again, I know these characters are files stored on someone else’s drive, and so there is a need to limit this, just makes putting up with online playing restrictions even less attractive is all. Offline, I can literally have hundreds of character files on any one of my computers, and although the game program doesn’t provide any system for creating a file structure (all characters are in one folder, and that is it), it might be nice if for the offline version such a thing could be implemented.

I’d like to return to the topic of this thread for a moment.

For me, I would like single player to have everything online has, including Uber Diablo, and the whole Keys/Torch content, as I have never seen Uber Diablo, and only once was I invited to the HT game, and was totally useless & clueless when I get there.

According to my math:
An 88th level character right now has to have actually earned 3.591+ Billion XP
While a 99th level character is supposed to need 3.520 Billion XP
So, under the current system, we see that anyone that has actually gotten 88th level, has played that character enough to have actually earned 99th level if the XP reductions imposed upon characters above 69th level were done away with.

And for those few souls that are actually curious, right now, an actual 99th level character has to earn 157.999 Billion XP when you factor in all the XP lost by the reductions. In comparison, I would have 100th level needing a flat 4.0 Billion XP.

My idea is that we the players & Blizzard Entertainment should recognize the problem of online play vs offline play, keep online play focused and tweaked for the high end, highly skilled, most active players in competition for the top level of play, while making single player a place for folks to be able to more rapidly advance, by either of two options;

1. All single player characters have the high level XP reduction turned off, or
  2. Make a new option upon character creation, to choose normal progression, fast track progression, or ReMort character.

And thus, this is something for everyone. I would have the ReMort system of infinite progression have folks start at level 0, and then gain their first 5 attribute points and 1 skill point at level one, as I have always hated having a level not be the same as my skill points.

For those that have rightfully pointed out that a character that is remorting over and over will become more (too) powerful, and thus this whole idea shouldn’t even be considered (presumably), I would like to point out some things:

1. A ReMort character is only as powerful as you choose to play it to.
  2. If your guy with 40 ReMort skills is too powerful, and you don’t feel challenged enough, are you forced to keep playing that character? No. Just create a new character, and work your way up from there. Just having one guy that is a total badass is not a bad thing, surely. At some point, with proper gear and skills and an experienced player at the helm, does the game not get to easy as it is?
  3. As no one has yet ever had a ReMort character, no one knows the real pros and cons, and everything is just conjecture at this point.
  4. Build diversity. Having the ReMort system implemented, and again, just for those that want to play them, in their own separate games/ladder (if that were done), this in no way affects the rest of the non-ReMort character base and economy.

Anyway, been working on this for a long time, and need to get it posted.

Wow! I will not claim that I got all this, but from this and the other thread, I’m seeing several interesting ideas. What exactly are you proposing for your expansion @Bitler? I got kind of lost with all the posts, and several were quite long.

Well, in short, I’m looking for the following few things:

• I want the XP reduction that is taking place right now to end in single player, or at least the option to opt out of that for those that want it.

• I want a No CD version for playing offline, that allows for playing any patch of the game on a modern computer, so windows 10 able to play D2/LOD v1.00 all the way up to current patch.

• And I want to have the game modified so that, a characters adventures don’t have to end, but can go on and ever onward. The way I would see this working would be characters starting off at level zero, and leveling all the way up to level 100, and then, if the player so chooses, to ReMort, and start over as a zero level character, but keep one (Or more) of their skills from their last life.

Sound a bit better/simpler?

I tend to ramble on a bit, and am not a good writer to begin with.

What a fantastic and interesting way to completely and utterly destroy arguably the greatest game ever developed!

Your suggestions reflect D3 a bit tooooo much…

Lol no, not any better at all. If you find spending around 400-600 hours to get to 99 isn’t long enough, try mfing for pvp gear.

If anything, take your argument and talent at writing and argue for more maps and more monsters, while leaving fundamental mechanics alone.

So I have to ask exactly how this would “Ruin” the game in any way?

I mean, if I am in fact understanding your reply correctly, this seems to me to be you saying, that you yourself wouldn’t want to play with these options (and unlike online play that only has ONE version available for play at a time) you would not in any way be forced to play this way, for the offline gaming experience.

Or did I still screw this up and not make clear that I am wanting this to be provided as an option for the casual gamer/paying customers, as a way of enjoying the game, and continuing to purchase content geared not towards “Best of the Best, or world class competitive gaming customers” that is, let’s face it, how D2 on Bnet is and has been aimed for quite a long time?

Do I agree with you on making the game easier for everyone, would in fact ruin the game for those that love the challenge as it is right now?

Of course.

I know that folks that are willing to commit huge amounts of time to the game are quite satisfied with the status quo, and so my changes, were they to be forced upon the dedicated gaming crowd, by making bnet support only my preferred version, would in fact ruin their enjoyment of the game.

But that presupposed that I was wanting my version to be the one and only version supported in online play, which is not the case at all. Right now, we have ladder/non-ladder, we have HC/SC, and we have D2/LOD characters, and players can choose the options that best match their desired gaming activity.

What I am proposing, is that for future D2 development and profit making, Blizzard Entertainment makes some new content, and allows for casual gamers to finally get their sense of closure by providing an optional type of “Fast Track” characters that doesn’t dead nd at 99, nor loses XP after level 69. For those that want the challenge as it is, just keep making those characters that don’t check the “Fast Track” option that I would have added to the GUI, and everything loved in the game is still there, along with all the new content and such, but for those that are sick and tired of never getting their characters to level 99 (or beyond), let those paying customers get their money’s worth by clicking the “Fast Track” option on the character selection screen, just like they do for Ladder/HC/Expansion right now.

Also, from the business side of things, what is Blizzard doing right now, with respect to losing/laying off staff, and their new focus on mobile apps (where all the casual gamers and their $$$ have gone), because they incorrectly choose to focus their online play for the benefit/liking of only the most dedicated of gamers at the expense of the enjoyment of the casual gamers, and thus drove away all their gaming $$$?

Going forward, Blizzard needs to realize that if they keep their focus solely on the ‘best of the best’ gamers, they are going to continue to lose the money they could be making off the casual gamers, that don’t want to have to spend every free moment playing D2.

Blizzard needs to realise that just because they cannot support more than one version for online play at a time on Bnet, they can still retain the casual gamers interest (and investments), by releasing new content for offline play, that is more rewarding and satisfying for their demographics, by doing the kinds of things I suggest. Keep online the way it is, but give the options for offline players to play any version that they prefer.

Why does a person who doesn’t have the desire, will, nor fortitude to level to 99 want to change the game for those that do 99? This very person, a self proclaimed casual player whom believes that a 25 year old billion dollar gaming company doesn’t understand what the causal player of a 20 year old game wants! And people complain about my narcissism?