[Main Thread] Diablo II on Mac stuck on Checking Versions

It is 1.14d but still can’t play… stuck at checking versions
It’s been 4 days now…

I would think the majority of users have been running 1.14d for a long time now. There might be a small amount of people who weren’t running it but the issue as a whole does not appear to be related to that. Leviathan is just trying to help troubleshoot, though. Hopefully a fix for the issue will be figured out this week.

Indeed.

The manual update is geared mostly toward those who uninstalled and reinstalled D2 as part of their own troublehooting and/or those who haven’t played in a while who may not be updated to the latest version.

Update

Issue ID: #80844773

Your ticket has received the following response:

Hello X!

Thank you for contacting us, Game Master Lavasurk is here. Currently, our developers are gathering more information and examples to fix the issue. I know this next bit isn’t something you want to hear, but I’m afraid I can’t tell you the exact time when it’s going to fixed but I can guarantee you that is going to be one of the developers’ priorities. However, sometimes it might undoubtedly take some time, thank you for your understanding.

We will definitely use this experience to minimise the chance of having issues like that in the future as we do understand it’s not the best thing to have in the game.

Best Regards
GM Lavasurk
Blizzard Customer Support

I’ve gotten the same response - verbatim. Power of copy + paste. This is disappointing.

Hello. No I dont agree this is a Mac issue. I’m a Mac user myself affected by this “Checking Versions” lock - but it’s only on US EAST. I’m able to log into other 3 Realms and play… On the same computer (A MacBook Pro)

This is honestly the last thing i want to have to do on my free time it said checking versions only on east , reinstalled and same thing im on 1.14d all firewalls turned off and permissions granted on mac(not catalina) What gives?

I can only connect on Asia but I am on EU

1 Like

Guys (And Leviathan) we are many, maybe thousands of Mac Users, having the same problem at the moment and it is NOT related to anything at the costumers/Users end. I received an answer from GameMaster Ekield, telling that they are very much aware of the issue but don’t have a fix atm. They are currently tracking the issue. I guess we just have to be patient.

Look I am/have been purposefully running an older version of MacOS - High Sierra 10.13.6. And everything was running just fine.
Something must have happened last week - when the server crashed. Unless the team is deliberately restricting access to allow for the next test drive for Diablo II Resurrection coming up in the next few days? They’ll be testing multiplayer game play in this trial)
Hopefully that is not the reason.

1 Like

I’m running 1.14D on Mac OSX 10.11.6 on the EU realm - it’s been rock solid for the past year. Just can’t get on now, stuck on ‘Checking versions’. I’m wondering if this is a withdrawing of support for Classic D2 on BNet?

I am in this exact position too. Everything was fine. I only get to log on on weekends, so this past weekend I tried and got the “checking versions” page. At first I figured I might be temp’d but unlike in the past ie: (getting temp’d from switching chars to fast) the “checking versions” lasts forever it seems.

I don’t think it’s a temp ban because, 1) I hardly ever play. 2) I don’t do anything mischievous. The last time I was on was the weekend before the server shut down and I literally joined one game stayed in it for 15 mins or so then logged off. Nothing to warrant a temp ban… A week later I’m stuck “checking versions”

I uninstalled/reinstalled, was able to get the 1.14d patch by clicking on the Asia server instead of east. It patched to 1.14d and I was on Asia. Switched back to east and stuck at “checking versions” again.

I understood it to be Mac is no longer supported with Catalina and beyond. I use Mac OS high Sierra 10.13.6. And everything was working fine.

/edit
To add a little something, my brother brought his pc laptop over, east worked just fine, no problem logging on and making a game. On my Mac, stuck on “checking versions”

Again, if this was due to us running the game on MacOS, we wouldnt be able to start the game - never mind our “on going” ability to log onto other Realms…

Hey everyone,

We have seen the reports of Mac users (running macOS 10.14 or earlier) being unable to connect to different Battle.net gateways in Diablo II. I just want to confirm that the info has been passed along to our Classic games team for investigation.

I’m afraid we do not have any work arounds to offer right now, but if we receive an update on the issue we’ll make sure to post in this thread. Thanks for all of the info that has been shared so far.

It’s good to know that Blizzard are aware of the problem. I also raised a ticket and got a polite reply yesterday, but it doesn’t bode well for running Classic D2 on Mac :
"…I’m afraid I must report that Diablo II (2000) is no longer available for Mac OS. This is due to the newer OS versions being incompatible with the game. It may be possible to run older versions of the game on older OS versions but this would only work for offline play. This is because our servers only run the most updated version of the game.

I wish we had better news here. If there’s anything else you might need just let us know."

Well that’s certainly new. I’m going to see I can get confirmation on that.

While we did announce earlier this year that newer Macs running Catalina (10.15) and later would not be able to run Diablo II, we understand that older Macs were still able to run it and connect to Battle.net prior to last week.

The Mac client is technically unsupported and not listed on the system requirements for Diablo II currently, but we are still investigating the issue of Macs getting stuck at Checking Versions when connecting to Battle.net gateways.

Hello. Can you please elaborate on this? What changed when the servers went down last week? And why is it specific to US EAST an EU realms? Doesnt make sense. I’m still able to join US WEST and ASIA on my Mac… (running MacOS 10.13 - which per the tech support bulletin should still work. And case in point it is working on the other 2 realms)

I’m sensitive to that, but let me remind you that when we purchased this game, the mac client was supported. I’m not sure that Blizzard can legally and arbitrarily move the ball like that.

Hello,
I feel your pain!!! I, too have an older Mac, that runs High Sierra (10.13.6) and I also have the “Checking Versions” issue, that has afflicted Mac users. I have my suspicions that Blizzard (I know that they will deny this) has temporarily prevented Mac users from being able to log in and enjoy D2LOD. The new system that will be running D2R WILL NOT be formatted for Mac users. That being said, last Wednesday, when Blizzard reset the the old system, they managed to remove the log in ability for Mac users. Every post that has issue is from a Mac user. When the new system is fully engaged, Blizzard will probably close down the old system, leaving Mac users out in the cold.

1 Like