Last update completely breaks wine compatibility

I could install bnet using instructions here but I can’t update d2. Still 0% of updating progress and “waiting another update”

It took a while and the UI doesn’t update normally like you’d expect, you just have to wait. Mine took about 15-20 minutes to update and I have a gigabit connection.

2 Likes

Check my comment above, the download status cannot be trusted at all. It is downloading, just telling you something else.

Agent.8012 keeps crashing every minute.

You can check the folder yourfolder/Battle.net/Agent/Agent.8012/Errors

Edit: wine 5.7 seems to be working, at least the agent is not crashing and the status is not frozen.

Edit2: lutris wine 5.7 is working to download the game client.

2 Likes

I think 8012 works fine - Mint, Lutris, default runner (lutris-7.2), old install of WoW, - just the update servers are overloaded with the WotLK going live this morning. I had the same issues about 3 hours ago right after the WotLK went live, crashing etc etc. Came back now, and successfully updated WotLK.
Oh and I did make the change to Streaming as per @Karl above in the Battle.net.config file.

There is no battle.net.config in my installation. Is there anything I can do to generate one?

Does anyone have a solution for steamdeck here? The installer will not go passed 50%.

I was able to get it working. Haven’t tried to reproduce yet, but here were my steps:

1. Use default Lutris Battle.Net installation script
  2. As it runs, Lutris will open the Battle.Net installer which should get stuck at 50%
  • Leave it to run until it proceeds to the next step
  • Installer should now be stuck at 0%
  1. Cancel the Battle.Net installer, the Lutris installer should eventually finish on its own and allow you to launch Battle.Net

After following these steps, I was able to install and am now playing Overwatch. This was tested on Sunday, September 18th.

After killing the installer process after the 100 to 0% bug

Battle net was able to start

Games installed, but took forever

Games booted fine.

Not ideal, but atleast i can play d2r. I missed the late PTR changes because of this :frowning:

I was able to follow the instructions linked in this thread to get games working on Steam deck again! Thanks everyone.

Hopefully Blizz resolves the issue with the new agent file.

1 Like

Steam Deck (Proton compatibility) worked good before the last update. Please fix this issue or revert those changes for the agent!

Doing a fresh install of the Blizzard App will get it back to running, but if you look carefully Agent.8012 is still crashing continously in the background.

Hello, even if I was able to install the Battle.net as someone above me suggested, the launcher doesn’t upgrade the games, also it doesn’t let me launch them, remaining in a permanent state of “Updating…”.
Please blizzard, the games already works fine, in many cases even better then windows, so make a full support on linux at least for the Battle.net app. =(

1 Like

After initial success with the lutris-7.2 runner earlier in the day on 2 prefixes (one to update Lich King, the other to finish installing SC2), I have spent the rest of the day pulling my hair out trying to get it working with a fresh install and later today to update other games. My final working config was esync and fsync disabled, runner lutris-5.7 (the first one in the Lutris download list) and the battle.net.config changes suggested earlier in the thread. Using this, SC2 updates, but all the World of Warcraft games will sit initialising for over half an hour. I think with the Wrath of the Lich King and other PTR content rolling out today along with an update to the agent and certificates, their update servers are overwhelmed. As an aside, it was a painful wait in Windows to update WoW but SC2 downloaded ok.

ehi guys I just noticed a thing, please confirm if you also encounter this!
In my battle.net installation the launcher, since the start, try to upgrade itself to the beta version, so the other games cannot upgrade due to this.

How do I see if it’s downloading the beta version?

Ah, you mean in the settings, yes it shows that for me as well but the game is downloading slowly in the background even though it says it isn’t.

1 Like

I’ve noticed this behaviour as well in the settings, wonder if is related to your account being flagged for beta invites some of the games, even if the work around a work I really wish a blue post communication before the wotkl releases.

Im not sure how so backup before attempting. I just managed to resolve mine getting stuck on updating wow. I’d largely followed Phattie’s solution but did a few extra things based on chazdingle’s solution as well.

• I DID NOT use an older version of the Agent.exe i used Agent.8012 thats appeared in the last 24 hours

• I did delete drive_c/ProgramData/Battle.net/Agent Agent.dat (though this just regenerated with an identical file)

• I changed the drive_c/users//Application Data/Battle.net/Battle.net.config to this

{ "Client": { "GameLaunchWindowBehavior": "2", "HardwareAcceleration": "true", "Sound": { "Enabled": "false" }, "Streaming": { "StreamingEnabled": "true" } } }

• Disabled esync and fsync in the runner options in lutris then dropped the wine version down to lutris-5.7-11 removed the “–exec PRO” from the arguments line in the Lutris > Configure > Game Options Tab (as I’d been using the to launch bnet so might not be relevant)

• Ran battle.net (it seemed like it was going to get stuck in the loop again but tbh i didn’t give enough time to see) then I changed these settings in Downloads > Game Updates. `

1. Pause updates when I launch a game - Unticked.
  2. Automatic Updates > Game Specific Settings - Ticked
    I then selected Latest & Future updates for World of Warcraft and never for other versions of WoW.

After I’d done that all the updates seem to complete no looping even after restarting bnet. Unfortunately, on running WoW it would lock up on the character selection screen. But I resolve that by changing back to lutris-7.2-2 wine version on the runner options and renabling fsync and esync (might get a bnet crash running it first time after changing wine versions). Til theres another update not sure if it will get stuck looping again or happily update. But this might prove insightful to someone with better understanding.

Edit:
Some news according the Wine-GE release page, Code Weavers are working on the issue. Releases · GloriousEggroll/wine-ge-custom · GitHub

I think you result has more to do with changes on the Blizzard backend then your runner, esync or dropping Pro. If you look in the bc logs in the Agent.8012/logs folder, sometimes there would be 404 errors or unresolved manifest errors. With esync on. lutris-7.2 or lutris-5.7 and Pro launch option, I have been able to INSTALL MW, SC2, WotLK but not update PTR. In my Battle.net, PTR says an update is needed, but when I look at the logs, it has many errors. I am wondering if my PTR install is borked.
As for the GE reference to people working on it, they are referencing back to here and the other threads on reddit and lutris dot net. Right now there is no clear reason behind it working for some and not others, and still can not rule out issues with Blizz servers being overloaded or other issues (logs have 404 errors and update manifest errors).