In case some of you have not seen this in the Classic Games Tech Support

There has been a response from a BLUE (as in, a peep whose posts are in blue text). It can be summed up to this:

• There are people working on the BattleNet Classic server issue(s).
  • There is no ETA.

:alien: :dolphin:

I went and read the “Temprary Play Restrictions” article that lists the ways to get banned. I’m REALLY confused about two of them:

• Repeatedly leaving an area and coming back to change shop or gambling items
  • Repeatedly using a spell with no cast delay such as Amplify Damage or Glacial Spike

For the first one, that’s how you get warcry weapons for a barb. The idea this is bannable literally splits my skull in half.

For the second one… I don’t understand that at all. I spam spells on my sorc all day long that don’t have a cast delay (fireball, telekinesis, teleport) and thank god I haven’t been banned. How are Amplify Damage and Glacial Spike bannable for spamming them? When I played necro years ago, I’d pre-spam amp on baal waves. I’m glad I’m not playing a nec currently. Is there something I’m missing here? Because it sounds like actual game mechanics are bannable which makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER. omg you guys (Blizz). And using the mouse wheel to change spells too fast? Really? But… You built it like that? What twilight zone planet are we on here? omg!

2 Likes

You’re traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That’s the signpost up ahead—your next stop, the Twilight Zone!” — Rod Serling

Life is far stranger than the strangest novel you have ever read. :books:

1 Like

The OG Devs made this game… Those dudes are gray and old and have made and moved on from other games decades ago. These new Guys are a maintenance crew (Think Disneyland) that could care less how many times you’ve been to the park and how many Mickey Mouse hats you own. It’s irrelevant to them and you will listen to their rules or enjoy a Ban hammer to the face.

Enjoy.

4 Likes

So like… how good would you say the chances are that we would have any warning at all if one day they decide that using the right-click on a mouse for any reason at all becomes bannable? I mean as of now, I have builds that I could just use the left click and not even need to change skills to clear some areas, but I’m seriously wondering if I should just play that way by default now just in case? Hell, I’m not even sure if I should login and just stare at the empty ad banner at the top of bnet chat for more than 5 seconds. That’s probably the next thing that’s going to be bannable! I mean at this point, I feel like endlessly just flipping through the pages of The Arreat Summit is going to be the safest way to enjoy D2. What’s left of it…

1 Like

From a few experiences, true, a few experiences is a small sample size, what has been the only thing to watch out for is the scroll wheel. I have been restricted for a short time out, e.g., not being able to make nor to join games. Everything about spamming skills with mouse buttons is a tall tale.

I think that heavy scroll wheel usage may cause whatever hack monitoring algorithms that Diablo 2 has to respond. It may have been from when a paladin aura hack was used which cycled through the auras quickly creating a kind of stacking of the the benefits of all the pali’s auras.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (I hope that is enough Zs) may chime in to correct me. Yet, I think the mouse wheel is something which can be a problem if we overuse it. I rarely use it. Maybe the one odd time if a skill is one away when accessed by the wheel.

There have been multiple ways players have found that allow for a dupe mechanism. It usually involves a game crash via exploiting functions of the game. They will ban you if you figure it out and they catch you. As you can see they are not very good at catching you.

1 Like

but we have no ETA on when or if they will occur

Careful with expectations. “When or IF

1 Like

They didn’t say who, for all we know they may as well be referring to the day shift and night shift janitor as people technically working, in the same room as Battle Net servers

1 Like

I suppose I could understand that as the auras would affect monsters which are hosted by the server which also has to track damage, life totals, etc. (too many game state changes).

That still doesn’t explain “spamming Amplify Damage or Glacial Spike”. I thought no cast delay skills were intentional? Cuz then they put in items that give faster cast rate to make your character more powerful. Like how do Bone necros not get banned now? Teeth? Bone Spear? Are these skills not to be used as the game allows, or…? How do you not spam skills with builds like that?

1 Like

I have to share that my sorc spams her magic skills. So, I am uncertain if anyone has had any BattleNet restrictions put on them for spamming. I have not. Been playing since Diablo 1 was released. For the necro, I do spam his curses, yet not his attack as it is timed… Bone Spirit. Please, no bullying me for using Bone Spirit. :blush:

Again, I am only a sample group of 1, so I cannot claim that people who spam their character skills will not get penalized. I hope not. The only thing that can I suggest is to not go crazy with a mouse’s wheel as a means to get to your various skills quickly. Better to use your keyboard.

1 Like

Yea, basically they said that thread wasn’t productive despite there being a simplified java-style solution outlined in the thread itself. We ended up going through the Ban and Suspension Appeals support portal just to be told “… it’s not possible for us to lift an IP restriction. There isn’t a way to lift them under any circumstances …” (direct quote from the support ticket) when we contacted them via the BAN AND SUSPENSION APPEAL PROCESS.

I’m sorry so… there’s a ban and suspension appeal process? but… appealing a ban or suspension is… impossible? So… You wasted our time a little bit more before watching 2 of your best customers walk off into the sunset, never to play another another Blizzard game so long as they lived? Okay, cool.

It kind of blows hearing from the support staff that they are very aware that the current system is destructive to the player base but they choose to do nothing about it. They’d save THOUSANDS of man hours by implementing a system that disallows you from connecting to BattleNet with a VPN on, without banning the player.

but yea… We’re quitting. 6 weeks back, 2 weeks banned, 4 weeks played, 2 weeks additional ban, plus we lose all the progress we made in the 4 weeks in between due to the character perming system and the length of the ban itself.

2 Likes

It’s just to look good on paper. Blizz customer support has always known to be abysmal.

The only thing they’re apparently good at is figuring out credit card and prepaid option problems. (Who would’ve thought!)

1 Like

It’s not a big deal to click the spell fast to apply the damage. That’s not what people are doing. They are standing just outside of a town while two “other” players are trading items back and forth. They use combinations of spam that basically causes the game to crash. If your play style doesn’t cause a game crash you are ok. If you are exploiting the game to make it crash you will get banned. Standing near a town and spamming a curse over and over and over can cause a game crash.

1 Like

OOOOooooh, ok. That’s far removed from what they wrote in the Support Article. I’m glad someone from the community knows how to form a coherent written description of the bannable violation parameter. Blizzard could alleviate a great deal of confusion if they spent 5 more seconds to peck out a few more words on the matter. Oh well, E for effort! :smiley:

3 Likes