Getting started with the WoW API

Hello everyone.

I have decided to write this post to help new developers getting started with the Blizzard APIs. I’m focusing first on the most common questions here in the forums and over the Blizzard API Community Discord Server.

1. The basics

1.1. Gaining access to the API

To gain access to the API visit API Access and follow the instructions.

When creating your first client credentials use http://localhost and check the option I do not have a service URL for this client if you still don’t know exactly how you are gonna use it (you can edit later).

:bangbang: It can take up to 15 minutes for your new credentials start working.

1.2. Testing the API

If you want to play around the API and see what data is available, you can use your new credentials on the official API documentation.

1.3. Libraries and resources

This is the official post for searching community created libraries and other resources. I’ll replicate here only available libraries and its status*. Make sure to check out the official post.

:white_check_mark: : Up to date
:ballot_box_with_check: : Missing lastest update
:no_entry_sign: Missing many updates

Language Repository Package manager Last updated Up to date* Support
Ruby Github Rubygems 2023-04-13T00:00:00Z :white_check_mark: ALL
PHP Github Packagist 2023-04-16T00:00:00Z :white_check_mark: ALL
NodeJS Github NPM 2023-03-23T00:00:00Z :white_check_mark: ALL
Python Github Pypi 2022-01-06T00:00:00Z :no_entry_sign: WoW
Go Github Go get 2023-03-04T00:00:00Z :ballot_box_with_check: ALL
C# Github NuGet 2023-03-18T00:00:00Z :ballot_box_with_check: WoW

*Last API update: 2020-11-17T00:00:00Z WoW Shadowlands API Update - Covenants, Soulbinds & More

1.4. Open source applications using the API

:key: Using the client credentials flow
:busts_in_silhouette: Using the authorization code flow.

Language Repository Features Auth type
Go Github Relational databases :key:
Go Github Save AH data to files :key:
NodeJS Github Forum signature generator :key:
NodeJS Github Login with bnet :busts_in_silhouette:
NodeJS Github Login with bnet (Vanilla JS) :busts_in_silhouette:

Since the forum doesn’t allow everyone to edit link, leave a comment if you want to add something to this list.

2. Types of endpoints

There are many types of endpoints available, each type is meant to be used in a different way, I’ll try to explain the most common usage for each type.

2.1. Game data

This is the most common endpoint, they are used to provide static and dynamic data (see Namespaces for details). Those endpoints will provide data not bound to a specific profile.

An example of static data is World of Warcraft Items, they don’t change unless a new patch comes out. That means you should cache their data in your own database to reduce API consumption.

An example of dynamic data is World of Warcraft Auctions, while they do change it is timed, so you can update them using scheduled jobs.

:bangbang: Those endpoints are usually there to support other endpoints. Items for instance do not return all items in-game, just the ones referenced by other endpoints like character equipment or auction data. Same goes for spells.

2.2. Profile or Community data

The new profile and some old community data represents data bound or created by a player. Those endpoints require an special attention and must be implemented in a way to comply to the Data protection policy.

In addition to that the data will update in irregular intervals. World of Warcraft character data updates when a character logs out of the game.

Important: Some profile endpoints require a special access_token obtained by the Authorization code flow, otherwise you’ll get a 401 or 403 error.

2.3. Media endpoints

Those endpoints are used to fetch image URLs for other endpoint, such as creatures, items, spells, etc

See also: Character renders

2.4. Search endpoints

Some endpoints like World of Warcraft Items and Spells have too many records and don’t have an index endpoint. Most of them provide a search endpoint instead. See Search endpoints for more information.

3. Frequently Asked Questions

Q. I’m getting a 401 response, what am I doing wrong ?

A: 401 means you don’t have the required permission to access the data, usually you are using an access_token created with the client credentials flow instead of the authorization code flow.

Q. I’m getting a 403/404 response, what am I doing wrong ?

A: There are a few possibilities:

• 404 might have many causes, most common is a typo in your uri or you are not using slugs.
  • 404 and 403 can also mean the data you are trying to access is invalid due to API updates. That happens when a character never went online after a major API update.
  • You are using the wrong region or namespace

Q. Where can I find the Overwatch/HotS api ?

A: They don’t exist. :frowning_face:

Q. Can I access WoW Classic Profiles ?

A: No, the only APIs available for classic are the ones listed here

Q. Where can I find a list of bonus ids for WoW Items ?

A: Unfortunately the API does not support this yet but there are some workarounds.

16 Likes

This post is great! Some small suggestions/feedback:

• Add a section for “demo” apps/codebases that are open-sourced.
  • Always reference WoW Class by its full name to avoid confusion. IE: “Can I access classic profiles?” -> “Can I access WoW Classic profiles?”.
  • Specify which game a FAQ question references when its game-specific. IE: " Where can I find a list of bonus ids for the items?" -> “Where can I find a list of bonus ids for WoW items?”.
3 Likes

Nice suggestion, I modified the endpoint names. However I’m not sure how to add the demo sections, I mean, it will be hard to track which ones are still up to date.
I’ll edit it later to add a reference to Showcase Your App!

EDIT: I added the ones I know about. Let me know if there is any other missing.

Unfortunately I don’t think non MVP can contribute to this wiki because of the way Discourse treat trust level and links, it is a shame.

1 Like

Hello I really enjoyed your post. I’m am a new developer and currently working with scala. My Question is I have been able to access the API through my application . However I keep getting back a JSON string instead of a JSON object which makes it very difficult to parse through using iteration. Am I doing something wrong or can you enlighten me on how to get the information out that I am meeting

1 Like

I can’t say specific for Scala, but most languages are shipped with native JSON encoders/decoders. Try searching the web for “how to parse json in scala” for more information.

Thank you for this i appreciate it.

Cool! thank you for this.

I was able to utilize API’s and create my little project. Problem I am having is everyday my token must reset and all of my fetch calls are bad and I have to update them with new links. Is there a setting where I need to update how long I want my token to be valid or something? Any help is appreciated, my discord tag is Drax#3635 if its easier to message me on there for communication. Thanks!

Tokens expires after 24h that is by design. You cannot change the duration of a token.
You need to implement an OAuth2 flow to refresh the token for you.

Hmmm. I find the documentation but it seems confusing. Is it simple to do? I just want to not have to change my fetch call links daily. Is that possible if I set it up to refresh my token daily? Any chance you have a link to documentation that makes sense.

Sorry, but the documentation does make sense, also it is a standard OAuth2 as stated in the very end of the API docs Using OAuth section. It should be really simple to implement in most scenarios.

Without knowing details of your project (like the programming language you are using, or how you create the token) it is impossible to guide you to a better experience.
I would recommend you joining the Blizzard API Community Discord Server and sharing with us more details so we can point you in the right direction.

I’ve been using the API to build a small project (wowhub io) and everything it’s been working great so far. I’m using Rails so went with the Ruby Wrapper, great job by the developer

1 Like

Prime Poultry Exporters (PPE) distributes frozen chicken, beef, and pork in more than 100 countries around the globe. We work with top frozen chicken brands that sell worldwide such as Seara (JBS SA), Sadia (BRF SA), Super Frango, Pif Paf, Minuano, Minerva Dawn Farms, Marfrig, Lar, Globoaves, Frinal, Doux, Diplomata, C.vale, Cossisa, Copagril, Copacol, Coopavel, Ceu azul Alimentos, Bondlo Alimentos, Big Frango, Aurora, Agroveneta. We deliver our services and products to our customers in food sectors: manufacturers, commodity wholesalers, foodservice distributors, and serving retailers. Visit our website at Prime Poultry Exporters

Hey @Schiller ! I found your post and was really useful

Also with the info that you give me I did create a version of the login with Next.js

this is the repo if you want to add it to your beautiful post

github.com/chilleno/battle.net-login

thanks for sharing and have a good day!

Hi there,
not sure if this is the best place to ask this but, I’m playing around with the Game Data Api and noticed that it returns an empty array when doing a creature search and a 404 if i try to get item id, seems fine for some other calls like auction index.

Is this linked to some sort of permission on my client or token or is this currently blocked

thanks in advance

Thanks for the post :slight_smile: