Fresh d2 install cant play

Installed from the provided downloads in my blizzard account, Running in windowed mode as an admin and in compatibility mode sp2. Game will get to the selection screen but will crash out as soon as I click on “Single Player” or “Battlenet” I cant even watch the cinematics. even went as far as updating directx and my video drivers. I seem to remember there being another trick to getting it to run when I installed on my tablet but I can’t remember now. Please help. I just want to play.

You can give the following a try:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/blizzard/t/svens-glide-wrapper-setup-guide/6514

Nope installing this actually crashes it faster, with this installed even clicking to skip the blizzard animations crashes it. at least using the settings I said above it can get to the start menu. but clicking on any option crashes the game. i wish i could remember what i did to fix this on my tablet.

Try creating another administrator account and see if the game works there.

yup tried that also. everything works exactly the same on both user accounts. It seems almost like it’s the action of clicking. if i use -skiptobnet it goes right to the login and will let me type but clicking on any of the selections on any screen kills the program. clicking not on a selection however does nothing as expected and the program does not crash.

Have you tried the compatibility modes? XP/Win7 etc. nvm that was in your first message.

Not sure what else to suggest.

just went through and tried every option available in the dropdown there, surprisingly it ran exactly the same on every setting. crash on selection. at this point I’m just hoping for an alpha key.

A shot in the dark, but try reinstalling.

did that 3x yesterday, but hey at this point it cant hurt.

Oh… LOL then I doubt it would help. Bummer.

Yeah bring on D2:R, kiss these stupid issues goodbye.

we can hope at least. Probably have better luck with a cracked install *facepalm i would assume hackers fixed the issue. I’ll just go cry in a dark corner and try not to think about it.

i had trouble running it myself, until i tried direct draw. it used to be easy to enable but, not anymore. here is how you do it however: go into your registry(run regedit). go to hkey_local_machine\software\blizzard entertainment\diablo 2\videoconfig. change the value in deviceddraw to 0. that is how you do it in modern versions of diablo 2.

hmmm this sounds lots more like the “fix” I had to do last time. will try that and post again with results.

They’re stealing our money and telling us to screw off. Been trying to figure it out for days. Support is a useless auto reply bot with no info. And you can’t speak to a dang human. And they don’t explain anything. I’ve tried every single fix on the forums. I had a fresh install on a fresh computer that was just bought and I got banned after updating to v1.14d… blizzard staff is taking as much of our money as they can to fund the new diablo or something… Cause no one has a answer to these bans. And I did everything they told me and I got rebanned the second I opened diablo II AGAIN. they aren’t even offering anything and refuse to refund me. I’m pissed. My birthday I bought this game for myself and I got screwed. Thanks blizzard. Falling down hill for diablo users. I guess diablo doesn’t make as much money as wow so they don’t care as much. Dang get rich scheme going on here or something.

unfortunatly i am unable to find that path in my registry. i was able to find Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Blizzard Entertainment\Diablo II. but there are no subfolders or reg’s labled videoconfig or devicedraw.

then you went into the wrong part of the registry. i said nothing about wow64. blizzard entertainment is located directly in software. i specified the exact path and yet you took another one. try to follow my directions correctly.

Sorry but as I said. on my machine the path you suggested does not exist. tried running dxdiag and that says it’s installed and enabled. after doing that and reinstalling it suddenly works. i guess i just had to run dxdiag.

diablo 2 have 3 different video modes: direct draw, direct 3d and 3dfx glide. glide requires glide wrappers to work in modern systems. direct 3d should normally work but, diablo 2 is old and does not always find direct 3d in windows 10. direct draw however always works.

After days of play it broke again for no reason? ffs. i really wish people with legit keys could upgrade for free. broken game is broken.

they likely can, once diablo 2 resurrected goes live.